Lots of kids over New Year's?

JackHamilton

Some friends might want to go on a 7-day New Year's cruise (the Star, December 29, 2013, Los Angeles - Cabo San Lucas - Mazatlan - Puerto Vallarta - Los Angeles).

Is that trip as likely to be packed with children as the previous week? School won't be in session, but maybe people don't take the kiddies on cruise over New Year's. Anyone know?

I can't speak for that exact cruise, but if school is out of session, there will be tons of kids.

When my kids were in pre-school, we took a cruise out of New York, WHILE school was IN session. It was still packed with kids -- from Montreal, which was out of session that week.

I know many families with kids that have been on cruises the last week.

I cruised on the Epic, leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Was rather surprised at the number of kids, especially the # of older ones(jr high, high school age).

I have 2 kids(5th & 10th grades) and neither would consider missing a week of school. Pre-HS, no problem missing a couple of days before a holiday(ie Mon-Tues of Thanksgiving week). The 10th grader had 3 tests and a paper due those 2 days this year!

I cruised on the Epic, leaving the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Was rather surprised at the number of kids, especially the # of older ones(jr high, high school age).

I have 2 kids(5th & 10th grades) and neither would consider missing a week of school. Pre-HS, no problem missing a couple of days before a holiday(ie Mon-Tues of Thanksgiving week). The 10th grader had 3 tests and a paper due those 2 days this year!

We never vacationed when school was out, only when it was in. My daughter was on the honor roll 3 out of 4 years of her highschool, my son 2 out of 4 years (his lack of effort). They both went on to higher education and are now fine upstanding, contributing members of society. And to explain the one year my daughter didn't make the honor roll was due to the teachers starting that year on work to rule, then an extended strike up until the Christmas break, right after New Years we had a tremendous ice storm that closed the schools for about 3 weeks. She lost 2 1/2 months of school that year, obviously that was a year we did not pull them for a vacation.

I really think it all depends on the family situation (we couldn't go while school was out), the children and the school system. So yes many people with children will vacation when school is in session. You also have to remember that different areas, different countries all have school breaks at different times.

To the OP, yes you will have a high number of kids on any cruise that a majority of schools are on vacation.

Archived