Can Someone Tell Me About the teen programs?

2boyzmom

Ok- I'm starting to worry. My now 13 year old has always been well supervised on cruises, loving the kids clubs and late night pajama parties. Well now- boom- no more - now you are a teen and are out of that grouping. My question is- what happens to the kids who are not yet mature enough to be roaming the ship but too old for the 10-12 group? Will he be with a counselor at all times in the teen club? My husband and I are not out till all hours but do enjoy a nice quiet dinner and see a show before picking up the kids by 11pm or so. a

There was a thread a month or so ago where someone posted the teen activities. As another parent of a 13yo who will be in the teen club for the first time, I did not find the activities comforting. They had activities for "Pledge your Fraternity/Sorority" and even some version of "The Dating Game" (Which another poster said may have been for figuring out which celebrities were dating, and not what I initially thought it was going to be.) My 13yo is mature, and she socializes with other teens that share her interests. The thing is that her interests are not those of a stereotypical teen. (She probably couldn't name 10 celebrities, yet alone who they were dating.)

We were hesitant to book NCL with our kids current ages (9, 1 & 13) because we thought RCCL and Carnival had better age groupings - and separate younger and older teens. I've prepared myself that my youngest and oldest may not want to go to the kids clubs, and I'm okay with that.

On most ships, the teens have their own lounges. For example, on the Gem, it is the Leopard Lounge. It is a beautiful area for the teens to hang out and meet up. They usually have dances with a DJ in there each night. The Teen Club organizes lots of activities to keep them busy. However, the teens can come and go as they please. Sometimes they meet their friends at the teen club, hang out for awhile and then go get something to eat. Blue Lagoon is a favorite among the teens. Also, they tend to like the Bliss Lounge with the Bowling Alley and various large screen tvs. However, at night, teens are suppose to be restricted from this area. Some of the activities were scavenger hunts, pizza making, various competitions, bowling with the group, rock climbing with the group, basketball on deck, various dining and show outings as a group. Dances each evening with a teen White Hot Party. I can tell you we hardly saw our teenage son during our various sailings. The only time he really spent with us was when we were at port. The exception would be GSC as that was a huge Teen Party in itself for them. The NCL Teen Club is very well done. Our teen did not want to join the first time. However, after that initial meeting, he enjoyed it very much and met many teens he still keeps in contact with.

they break the younger teens like yours from the older teens for many things. It is pretty well supervised. I would not be to concerned, just make your own rules about when to you get them and what you expect and have her follow them. My son will time out just turning 18 2 weeks before the next cruise he is sad about that.

Archived