Celebrity Infinity - June 24, 2013 - Iceland / Norway

TxnAquarian

My wifey and I will be celebrating our 17th wedding anniversary on this trip and can't wait! We would welcome advice on transportation to Harwich port to and from both Heathrow and Stansted. I'll be in the North Yorkshire on business prior to our trip, and am still making travel arrangements within the UK. We also have a fairly tight departure out of LHR on our dock date at 12:50 pm.

We welcome advice for traveling within the UK and are interested in joining private tours during the cruise. We are a couple Lebetia (50) and I'm DELIGHTED we are going to have so many brothers on this cruise!:D

Hi girls and guys, a few more people coming on the board, huh?

Well, I did some research on transport to and from airports: londontoolkit.com is a good resource. I am arriving at Heathrow 2 days before the cruise so I'm taking the Heathrow Express train to Paddington, cab to Liverpool Street, then the train from Liverpool Street to Harwich Town. Staying 2 nights at The Pier Hotel. Peterhof on the main board is organizing a dinner the night before the cruise in the restaurant adjacent to it (Brewers Fayre). I signed up, should be nice to meet some of the cruisers and mabye bump into others as I think many seem to be staying there. Taking train back after cruise for a few days in London. Granted, my schedule is more laid back. Lots of good info on londontoolkit though, that's where I found out all about the trains and so forth. Just have to get my flights now.

I see they posted the non-stop cruise train schedule, too. Or the train website may be a good place to look http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/

I'm single, traveling solo and look forward to this trip. This is my 4th Pied Piper (did 2 Post Thanksgiving and last summer Greek Isles/Turkey out of Rome).

Paul

Edited by bergen66

Hi girls and guys, a few more people coming on the board, huh?

Well, I did some research on transport to and from airports: londontoolkit.com is a good resource. I am arriving at Heathrow 2 days before the cruise so I'm taking the Heathrow Express train to Paddington, cab to Liverpool Street, then the train from Liverpool Street to Harwich Town. Staying 2 nights at The Pier Hotel. Peterhof on the main board is organizing a dinner the night before the cruise in the restaurant adjacent to it (Brewers Fayre). I signed up, should be nice to meet some of the cruisers and mabye bump into others as I think many seem to be staying there. Taking train back after cruise for a few days in London. Granted, my schedule is more laid back. Lots of good info on londontoolkit though, that's where I found out all about the trains and so forth. Just have to get my flights now.

I see they posted the non-stop cruise train schedule, too. Or the train website may be a good place to look http://www.greateranglia.co.uk/

I'm single, traveling solo and look forward to this trip. This is my 4th Pied Piper (did 2 Post Thanksgiving and last summer Greek Isles/Turkey out of Rome).

Paul

Also traveling solo, my friend Rick is as well(PictureIt). My 10 or 11th on Pied Piper, I think 4th or 5th for Rick. Booked my air last month Delta Flight 001 direct JFK--->LHR arriving the morning of the 21st in London. Staying in London a few days and visiting with friends in West Kensington, then will catch a ride the 24th up to Harwich.

Just a quick note as our final payment is due April 10th. I called in our final payment to Celebrity and asked our agent if there was any price drop. She said no and I went ahead and paid. On a whim, I then checked my catagory on Celebrity (Aqua Class - Guaranteed) and the price HAD dropped $300 per person! I immediately called back and will have $600 returned to my credit card within two business days. Certainly worth the double check!

Also curious to see what if any excursions people have picked to go on for this cruise? We have been looking but haven't found many we would want to do. Are there private excursions anyone else has joined that maybe we can check out? So looking forward to this trip!

How does one sign up to be on the roll call for the Celebrity Infinity and Beyond group? I went to the page but there is no link to sign up to?

Go to the other main board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1593886

Paul ("peterhof") has several postings. He created it. You can contact him there. Good luck!

Paul

Edited by bergen66

Liked this one, its 12 hours and $250, but looks pretty comprehensive, so overall a good value I think

28 June - Golden Circle & Laugarvatn Fontana

o 09:00 AM Pick up from cruise terminal

o 10:00 AM Thingvellir National Park

o 12:00 PM Gullfoss Waterfall

o 12:30 PM Lunch buffet at the Geysir Center (included)

o 2:00 PM Departure from Geysir

o 3:00 PM Selfoss / Eyrabakki

o 4:00 PM Krísuvík area (light snacks)

o 5:00 PM Relax at the Blue Lagoon *

o 7:00 PM Dinner at Lava Restaurant (not included in price, but recommended)**

o 9:00 PM Departure to Reykjavik / drop off around 9:30 PM

(*includes entrance, bathrobe, towel & drink at the lagoon bar – bring swimwear, footwear, toiletries…everyone will be required to shower without swimwear prior to entering the lagoon.)

(**option to return to ship between 7-7:30 p.m.)

INCLUDES:

Welcome bag (with Icelandic water bottle, Icelandic chocolate bar, LGBT gift item (variable) & miniatures from the Blue Lagoon)

Guidance in English. Knowledgeable and experienced gay guide.

Free Wifi on the bus

Lunch buffet at Geysir Center. Notice: only water included, other drinks are additional.

Icelandic snacks in the Reykjanes area (twisted donut, chocolate milk & Icelandic skyr)

Hi, we are not with the Pied Piper group, just had the good fortune of booking the same cruise. This tour looks good to us (Patti & Kathy). As we are not with your group, can we participate? Is this tour dependent on a minimum number of folks signing up?

Thanks,

Patti

Hi, we are not with the Pied Piper group, just had the good fortune of booking the same cruise. This tour looks good to us (Patti & Kathy). As we are not with your group, can we participate? Is this tour dependent on a minimum number of folks signing up?

Thanks,

Patti

because its being done by a private company called Pink Iceland I can't see any reason you couldn't. I paid for mine yesterday and the reservation and payment was made directly to Pink Iceland not Pied Piper. If you want email me and I'll forward you the complete email with the payment link.

I found this on Pink Iceland when I researched them

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189970-d3187820-Reviews-Pink_Iceland_Private_Day_Tours-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html

Edited by johhnnyt

Hi Cublet,

We are planning to do this cruise in August in the eclipse. I have read that the demographics were quite old, around 70s, is that correct? Were there in your cruise people around 30-40s?

Hi there, I have just set up a G&L roll call for the Eclipse sailing to Norway on 31 August so if this is your cruise pop on over and hopefully we can see who's on board!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1832711

Cheers

Alan

Edited by Al_W

because its being done by a private company called Pink Iceland I can't see any reason you couldn't. I paid for mine yesterday and the reservation and payment was made directly to Pink Iceland not Pied Piper. If you want email me and I'll forward you the complete email with the payment link.

I found this on Pink Iceland when I researched them

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189970-d3187820-Reviews-Pink_Iceland_Private_Day_Tours-Reykjavik_Capital_Region.html

Am I correct that that the total price with dinner is $330?? Eighty dollars for dinner seems quite high.

JAY

Sent from Crown Princess in Portugal

I do remember last time I was in Reykjavik, it surprised me how expensive it was compared to most of Europe. It was on the scale of Paris for price points for dinner, shopping, etc

Hello,

I haven't been to Paris for ages, but I would say Icelandic prices are on a par with London. Prices have dropped following the collapse of their banking system.

Regards,

Cublet

Am I correct that that the total price with dinner is $330?? Eighty dollars for dinner seems quite high.

JAY

Sent from Crown Princess in Portugal

"

It looks like prices in Iceland are expensive in general with the exchange rate, somewhat like Sweden.

Several years ago I did a group dinner in Stockholm and it was $70.

It also may be a bit more expensive, as it is the only fancy restaurant at the Blue Lagoon. Friends of mine have eaten there and said it was excellent. "

Edited by johhnnyt

• 4 weeks later...

Every time I check the price it has dropped. This is driving me crazy to have paid so much, when it was considered a "good deal" and now, the price is 1/2 of what I paid. I feel like I am wasting money on this cruise. I feel like canceling and rebooking to get a higher category!

WHY does this bother me so much? It is paid and done with... can't ever get that money back. I should stop looking. It just irks me to no end!

Every time I check the price it has dropped. This is driving me crazy to have paid so much, when it was considered a "good deal" and now, the price is 1/2 of what I paid. I feel like I am wasting money on this cruise. I feel like canceling and rebooking to get a higher category!

WHY does this bother me so much? It is paid and done with... can't ever get that money back. I should stop looking. It just irks me to no end!

You can try calling Celebrity and asking them to upgrade you for free. We tried that last year when we went on the Silhouette and they couldn't give us any money back but they upgraded us to Aqua class, with a better cabin and other amenities. Its close and it might be sold out, but it can't hurt to try. They seemed very helpful when we did this! Good luck!

You can try calling Celebrity and asking them to upgrade you for free. We tried that last year when we went on the Silhouette and they couldn't give us any money back but they upgraded us to Aqua class, with a better cabin and other amenities. Its close and it might be sold out, but it can't hurt to try. They seemed very helpful when we did this! Good luck!

I saw prices started dropping last month or two so had my TA check to see if anything could be done even though well beyone the 90 days cancel/rebook phase.

Celebriity was really good, was able to keep the 1,2,3 package, they upgraded the cabin, and gave us extra OBC. A fiend did same thing, he got upgraded cabin, but no OBC

We got upgraded to Concierge class, ( about $150 value) but as of now the suites are less than what we paid! Aqua Class is sold out. Probably everyone didi the same thing.

Since I used a travel agent they said I had to speak ony thru her. Nothing they could do, so no onboard credit. The cruise is now about 1/2 of what I paid for it.

I know that for next year, if I am planning a cruise to Europe, it is going to be a LAST minute (30 days out) booking. No more planning months in advance ever again!

Edited by judygreg
spelling

• 2 weeks later...

It is strange hy cyclic it is, I originally booked a C2 at $2119pp+plus port fees, etc so about $2300 pp total which I thought was pretty good (my travel afent said it was a deeply discounted rate back in July 2012)

Seen it dance all around, more and more it looks like last minute booking are the way to go, you really can't get a big selections of cabins that way, but who really cares

Price Created Updated

$ 2,649 2012‑03‑15 2012‑04‑18

$ 2,699 2012‑04‑19 2012‑07‑13

$ 2,849 2012‑07‑14 2012‑07‑23

$ 2,949 2012‑07‑24 2012‑08‑01

$ 3,149 2012‑08‑02 2012‑08‑15

$ 3,249 2012‑08‑16 2012‑08‑24

$ 3,349 2012‑08‑24 2013‑01‑16

$ 3,099 2013‑01‑17 2013‑05‑28

We also "complained" to the travel agent about the price drop. We got did get upgraded to the concierge class from veranda class. Aqua class was already sold out. We paid $2000pp for a cabin we could have gotten at the "last minute" for $1349. No extra onboard credit was offered. Agent said Celebrity doesn't do that, LOL. At one point, suites were going for $1799, but the agent said that was a happy hour promo only good on new bookings. (The July 15th sailing is price dropping now, with Aqua class at $1999, veranda at $1500.) Our sailing must be close to full, as prices have increased again.

We have free gratuities but not the free drink package. Not a big deal as neither of us drink anyway. It irks me, but of course we want to go, so there is nothing to be done about it. Now the prices are "back to normal" expensive. So if you are booking within the 90 days, keep checking prices every day.

Edited by judygreg

I know we want to do the Golden Circle Tour, but was wondering about the Lake and Hike extra addon. Has anyone done this. Is the hike very difficult? It says 2 out of 5, but I am not in the best of shape, and was wondering how difficult it was? Like hiking up 6 flights of stairs? Or easier?

They say they will rent you hiking shoes if you don't have any for the glacier hike.

Edited by judygreg

Hey Everyone,

Are any of you staying in Harwich night before cruise and up for a small group for have some drinks? I'm going to Peterhofs dinner at 8:00 (Mayflower Restaurant at the Premier Inn). I was thinking afterwards. What are you all up? I figured a group from this board might be more likely to go out for a few drinks! Although who knows who from dinner might be up for some drinks, too

Paul

Oh, I'm the The Pier Hotel 2 nights before the cruise.

Hey Everyone,

Are any of you staying in Harwich night before cruise and up for a small group for have some drinks? I'm going to Peterhofs dinner at 8:00 (Mayflower Restaurant at the Premier Inn). I was thinking afterwards. What are you all up? I figured a group from this board might be more likely to go out for a few drinks! Although who knows who from dinner might be up for some drinks, too

Paul

Oh, I'm the The Pier Hotel 2 nights before the cruise.

Hi Paul,

Wish I could join you, but will be staying in London with a friend till the morning of the 24th, as will my two friends that I'll be traveling with, have to wait and mett you onboard.

John