Labadee question

It would probably depend on a lot of factors, like whether another ship was already scheduled for CocoCay on that day, weather, how much warning they have, etc. If they cancel it at the last minute, I'd say it would probably end up being a sea day.

Guest OBAYbee
Should the possibility arise, and officials decided NOT to stop at Labadee, would they almost always substitute Coco Cay, or might they just make it another sea day? Thank you in advance. Karen

When they changed the ports for us while on Navigator we were taken to Freeport in place of Labadee.

When this happened last March we were scheduled to stop at Labadee on the Mariner's W. Carib itinerary and were sent to Nassau instead. Other sailings/ships either went to Nassau, Freeport or spent the day at sea, which for me the sea day would be the best substitute.

I heard somewhere (so I'm not an authority on this, but I asked a similar questions, too! :)) that the larger ships are too big for CocoCay and you'll head to Freeport, Nassau, or simply at sea.

If they decide to NOT go to Labadee on my next cruise and do an at-sea, I'm going to INSIST the throw me a tow line so I can snorkel behind the ship. I don't even want to think about missing a day in the water... :D

Haiti, being the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, undergoes a constant state of rebellion and political unrest. When tensions are too hot, RC doesn't stop at Labadee (remember, Labadee is a peninsula on the Haitian mainland, NOT an island).

Also, to clarify an earlier poster's claim, the Voyager class ships are able to stop at CocoCay (this is on several of their itineraries).

Guest OBAYbee
OK, newbie here but why would they cancel Labadee? (Curious becuase it's on my itinereary.)

Here is a website for you to bookmark. Nice to be able to check out the updates before a cruise, especially when there is an active warning to Americans traveling to Haiti. Below is a small portion of what the warning consists of.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_917.html

This information is current as of today, Wed Jun 01 22:23:17 2005.

HAITI

"This Travel Warning is being issued to warn American citizens of the continued dangers of travel to Haiti. Due to the volatile security situation, the Department has ordered the departure of non-emergency personnel and all family members of U.S. Embassy personnel. The Department of State warns U.S. citizens to defer travel to Haiti and urges American citizens to depart the country if they can do so safely. This Travel Warning supersedes the Travel Warning issued March 11, 2005.

Americans are reminded of the potential for spontaneous demonstrations and violent confrontations between armed groups. Visitors and residents must remain vigilant due to the absence of an effective police force in much of Haiti; the potential for looting; the presence of intermittent roadblocks set by armed gangs or by the police; and the possibility of random violent crime, including kidnapping, car-jacking, and assault. Due to concerns for the safety of its personnel, the Department has ordered the departure from Haiti of all U.S. Embassy non-emergency employees and all family members of American embassy personnel. American citizens who remain in Haiti despite this warning are urged to consider departing.

U.S. citizens who travel to or remain in Haiti despite this Travel Warning must remain vigilant with regard to their personal security...

Guest OBAYbee

Out of curiosity I emailed the The State Department asking about Labadee and if the warning issued recently included that portion of Haiti. I finally got an email back from them with the following information: Please call the Office of Overseas Citizens Services for assistance before your trip. The toll free telephone number is 1-888-407-4747.

Guest OBAYbee
So if they take us somewhere else are we on our own or do we still get a day on the beach with a free lunch buffet?

In our case, they took us to Freeport. We were on our own at the port but lunch was served both on deck and in the dining room onboard the ship. I'm just guessing but I would imagine the same foods served at the picnic buffet will be what they serve on deck that day IF they don't go to Labadee.

Archived