Hawaii Trip for 18 on Miracle vs Timeshare

sjn911

I did a mock booking of outside cabins for 6 family groups on the December 7 cruise this year and compared it to 2 weeks in a family set of timeshares with extra dinners out and activities and air etc. Really tried to pair it down well. Dad and I are one group amd we get that big cabin with a curtain..I'll take couch...It would be great for both of us having breathing room and yet saving on a cabin each!!!

We would have little entertainments and all meals on ship... but sandwich lunches on the beach and i just figured car rental daily for the groups verses 2 weeks car rental for the groups and both food in and out and extra activities for the groups we would do never getting out on the water...figured those views with ship enough..along with beach snorkels.

Well, for 2 weeks it came out to 10,000 dollars less than timeshares when I extrapolate fairly for 2 weeks and 6 family units all in outsides with proper amount of people per cabin..we could have not all meals together even...Chill nights on the ship with room service, lido, steakhouse, and main dining room. It is also less expensive to go for 2 weeks on Carnival than one on NCL...with all the people and outside dining adding even more...Not knocking them for just me... but wow for a big group and all extra dining that would prevail. Now we just have to seek the good servers for the hot food...with that little issue going on and be proactive.

Each families' drinks other than self purchased, and no big dinners at special steakhouse that was not figured..but i did compare with costs of dinners out and luaus and cooking in condos costs as had figures from our 50th anniversary timeshare with folks one week trip a few years back..and I did not increase for that cost years later used the same figures plus one week's cost and compared to today's outside prices on Miracle Dec 7th..6 outside cabins with various amts of people.... extra activities that the ship would provide enough of and better for our wee ones...saves us on shows/luaus..enough dinners out there onboard.:):) Air is also less...

I am talking to my favorite sis tomorrow...I think in a years plus time after loosing our Mom...and one Christmas under our belts...this ship and all would be just right and we have many who work out in our group..they would LOVE that, if only enough seniority for time off before Christmas...but they could regroup on real holiday before school teaching..I have freer self schedule...Sarah

Hi Sarah...caught this before going to bed. We own a timeshare in Kaanapali on Maui and we did the Hawaiian cruise this past April and I can tell you the cruise is quite a bit cheaper than the land vacation.

It has been a couple of years since we used our place in Maui but if I had to hazard a guess we probably burned through around $2500 (and that was for just one week!).

We have done extended family reunions both on land and on cruises and most of us agree the cruise is the way to go. No cooking ever is a big plus on the cruise. Everyone does their own thing during the day but we were all expected to meet for dinner. To us having a reunion on a ship is a no-brainer!

I did a mock booking of outside cabins for 6 family groups on the December 7 cruise this year and compared it to 2 weeks in a family set of timeshares with extra dinners out and activities and air etc. Really tried to pair it down well. Dad and I are one group amd we get that big cabin with a curtain..I'll take couch...It would be great for both of us having breathing room and yet saving on a cabin each!!!

We would have little entertainments and all meals on ship... but sandwich lunches on the beach and i just figured car rental daily for the groups verses 2 weeks car rental for the groups and both food in and out and extra activities for the groups we would do never getting out on the water...figured those views with ship enough..along with beach snorkels.

Well, for 2 weeks it came out to 10,000 dollars less than timeshares when I extrapolate fairly for 2 weeks and 6 family units all in outsides with proper amount of people per cabin..we could have not all meals together even...Chill nights on the ship with room service, lido, steakhouse, and main dining room. It is also less expensive to go for 2 weeks on Carnival than one on NCL...with all the people and outside dining adding even more...Not knocking them for just me... but wow for a big group and all extra dining that would prevail. Now we just have to seek the good servers for the hot food...with that little issue going on and be proactive.

Each families' drinks other than self purchased, and no big dinners at special steakhouse that was not figured..but i did compare with costs of dinners out and luaus and cooking in condos costs as had figures from our 50th anniversary timeshare with folks one week trip a few years back..and I did not increase for that cost years later used the same figures plus one week's cost and compared to today's outside prices on Miracle Dec 7th..6 outside cabins with various amts of people.... extra activities that the ship would provide enough of and better for our wee ones...saves us on shows/luaus..enough dinners out there onboard.:):) Air is also less...

I am talking to my favorite sis tomorrow...I think in a years plus time after loosing our Mom...and one Christmas under our belts...this ship and all would be just right and we have many who work out in our group..they would LOVE that, if only enough seniority for time off before Christmas...but they could regroup on real holiday before school teaching..I have freer self schedule...Sarah

Sarah, are you still thinking of jumping in with us, or does your family need to do the cruise during a school break...

What ever you can get going will be great...

Praying for you and your dad still and that he will be ready to enjoy life again soon.

Sarah, are you still thinking of jumping in with us, or does your family need to do the cruise during a school break...

What ever you can get going will be great...

Praying for you and your dad still and that he will be ready to enjoy life again soon.

Praying and dreaming about later in Dec in 2013 or 2014 closer to school break and with all of us now...I think it will be too soon in October and if then just the 2 of us and very last minute..darn just a tad too early as i am sensing his pulse ans would love to be with you all...but he did dream a little about the cruise we were going to take again..just mom and dad and me to Hawaii..and stated talking about how neat to see the islands from the sea..he has had a few land trips now..about I think..but got all hot about not wanting to be sitting in a tub for the coming an the going...and then never wanting to cruise again..but thin a little dreamy...he is still in a back and fort mode but a little more forth..anyway the whole extended family was together for an hour last Sunday..a lot would depend on Christmas schedules and his pairing down his horses which he is doing...sigh and his getting over the sad of only having had those 2 cruise with mom and some one or 2 of us each time in Alaska...he will really mellow with this new figuring...thanks...probably too early yet and all need a few more months for financials if we do the group and split costs thanks..just so hard, good thought to you and yours..blessings and thanks...Sarah

Hi Sarah...caught this before going to bed. We own a timeshare in Kaanapali on Maui and we did the Hawaiian cruise this past April and I can tell you the cruise is quite a bit cheaper than the land vacation.

It has been a couple of years since we used our place in Maui but if I had to hazard a guess we probably burned through around $2500 (and that was for just one week!).

We have done extended family reunions both on land and on cruises and most of us agree the cruise is the way to go. No cooking ever is a big plus on the cruise. Everyone does their own thing during the day but we were all expected to meet for dinner. To us having a reunion on a ship is a no-brainer!

Thank you soo much, for helping me with slow, steady, gentle, persuasion!!! I think he has no idea how a big group would be half the trouble and decision making on a cruise trip as the 5..now would be 6 condos 24/7 was..now without mom more or same amount decided by the ship..LOL..that was wonderful and mom's dream and they acheived it as her folks did for their 50th with a lot more of us...but we are splitting this next one plus cheaper for group and resting on each end, if we can agree to do it,..and the flying is enough just to California via Salt Lake LOL...great to meet you here...Love San Diego...our first snorkle was from the beach, Kamaole 3,(on my granparents 50th) was with folks from there who owned where we were renting condos in Kehei. They taught us with joy and patience..they were so cool. This was when only the Wailea Beach and Intercontinental were there...our first trip..a horrible snow ranch year...dad and our first trip, was epic getting off the ranch and he only took winter clothes..had to buy the stuff there,,,could not fathom it..LOL..nothing will ever be like that Christmas Morning as we flew in Christmas eve and walking across to that beach in early AM...Sarah

PS I like your Maui area quite a bit better over the years...we drove up to the Sheraton at Kaanapali one night in late 1979 and had dinner over black rock there..LOL...Sarah

What ever you decide is great with us...

I know how it goes with fathers who lose their wife.

My mother in-love passed 30 years before my father in-love

and it was like pulling teeth or worse getting him to do anything.

I love that he was in love with her til his death, but she would have wanted so much more for him.

Again, I am praying for you both...

and even last min. we would love to have you on the cruise (group or no group)

What ever you decide is great with us...

I know how it goes with fathers who lose their wife.

My mother in-lovepassed 30 years before my father in-love

and it was like pulling teeth or worse getting him to do anything.

I love that he was in love with her til his death, but she would have wanted so much more for him.

Again, I am praying for you both...

and even last min. we would love to have you on the cruise (group or no group)

Thanks soooo much..for really understanding....Sarah

I love the Miracle but I don't think you will get as much out of the islands as if you did the Pride of America. I love Carnival and I have sailed the Miracle four times.

We had a lot of time to explore the islands and did so much when we went. Here is my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1745674

You may also want to look on the Hawaii board for advice on a trip there. I know folks have also rented houses as cost saving measures compared to a timeshare.

I love the Miracle but I don't think you will get as much out of the islands as if you did the Pride of America. I love Carnival and I have sailed the Miracle four times.

We had a lot of time to explore the islands and did so much when we went. Here is my review.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1745674

You may also want to look on the Hawaii board for advice on a trip there. I know folks have also rented houses as cost saving measures compared to a timeshare.

Thanks...we were always going to go once on a Hawaii cruise instead..Mom, Dad, and I after all the grandchildren turning 12 major trips with the 2 grandparents (undivided attention and minimal correction trips) (you should hear my dad's rendition of one nephew and getting his face painted each game when he got to see his professional NFL team and the lack of one clean towel and full paint stained bathrooms..LOL)...well thank God mom got those done...barely..and we have many family cabin memories and very few flying trips as a whole group....but being in a big house would be a cool option...thanks...if we give up the cruise with however many idea...

Maybe a shorter one way crossing or just early booking and watching for on board credit with NCL..but for all of us I hate the extra dining...all options with me and a friend or solo sound great and God willing....

Thanks everyone for all ideas..and the chat!!

Archived