Cave Tubing & Zip Line ???

travelbaybee

Hi!

Can anyone tell me about the excursion (off the ship - Norwegian)? Also, is there a place where you can keep belongings, etc. (bus? or?) Am also interested on how rugged this really is...and how close-in the cave tubing is.

Many Thanks!

:confused:

We just returned from a cruise that took us to Belize. We did a private tour with cave-tubing.com (also known as Butts Up) that was absolutely fantastic!! If you can save yourself some dollars and book it online.

We did the cave tubing and zip line combination. DH gave me such a rough time for weeks before our cruise about how "unsafe" zip lining in a 3rd world country would be but had to eat his words after we got there!!! This was a 1st for us and we would both do it again in hearbeat!! These guys met us at the dock, drove us out to the river (it's 37 km out), outfitted us for the cave tubing. Then it was a short hike up to the launch point and a gentle drift through the cave. The cave is huge so you don't need to worry about being claustrophobic at all. Then it was back to the van to change and head off to the zip line which is right there! The others in our group went for lunch included in the price (our guide got our lunch to go) while we were off sailing through the jungle. Our guide kept all of our things in the van while we in the air so it was safe. And after a wonderfully very safe 7 ziplines (one of which is over 700 feet long!!) it was back to the van and the hour drive back to the dock. After the initial shock of stepping off the 1st platform I really enjoyed flying through the air above the jungle. And if I can do it anyone can. I am in my 60's and decent physical shape but honestly anyone could do this.

Hope you give it try!! It's worth every penny!!

Cathi

• 2 weeks later...

Take a good waterproof camera so you don't lose a camera. Take it with you when you go zip lining as there will be 2 people with you -a "catcher" and a "pusher". No just kidding. There are 2 employees who go with you so that there is always one on the platform you are leaving and one on the platform you are going to. We have some incredible pictures since they both took pictures for us.

You can always leave stuff in the van that will be locked when you go down the river or roaring over the jungle so don't worry. They are great!!

Cathi

Yes we wore helmets on the zip line along with the harness. The better half was quite happy to see how really safe it was. He'd spent weeks telling me he was going to die in Belize and now he's sold on zip lines.

The cave tubing -actually in the water - about an hour. Remember to take a good pair of water shoes that you can walk in as you walk up the bank of the river to the starting point.

There are 7 zip lines. The longest is 700 ft and one that is 500 ft. The others are shorter but just as much fun. It took us almost an hour to do them all.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken some time to answer you but we've been gone for a month and internet was very spotty!!

No I was never nervous that we wouldn't make it back in time. They were very good about making sure you get back with lots of time to spare (for some shopping if that's what you like). In several years of doing private tours I've only once been nervous about making the ship and that was in Morocco. We were docked in Casablanca and went to Marrekesh. It's a very long drive back!!! Made it with about 5 min to spare!!!

Go have a ball!!

Thanks for you info Cathy! I booked through them and getting super excited. I do have one more question...you mentioned that you changed prior to going ziplining. Did you just wear shorts and tanks over your suit?

Sorry it's taken some time to answer you but we've been gone for a month and internet was very spotty!!

No I was never nervous that we wouldn't make it back in time. They were very good about making sure you get back with lots of time to spare (for some shopping if that's what you like). In several years of doing private tours I've only once been nervous about making the ship and that was in Morocco. We were docked in Casablanca and went to Marrekesh. It's a very long drive back!!! Made it with about 5 min to spare!!!

Go have a ball!!

Archived