Titou Gorge Questions

debr

Can anyone tell me how difficult Titou Gorge is if you are not an "athlete." I've seen at least one UTube video showing folks jumping off the side of a cliff to get into the channel, is that the only way in?:( Would appreciate hearing about your experience -- especially the over 60 crowd:D

We have signed up to go to Titou, Trafalgar and champagne reef with bumpiing Tours.

Debr

There are steps down so you can just walk in, be forewarned it's COLD:eek: We've done this tour twice with Levi, it's really good.

Oh, great, glad to know about the steps and I've been warned about the cold water:eek: but understand their is some type of warm pool after the "adventure"? Obviously you thought it was a good excursion if you've done it twice! Levi get's great reviews and looking forward to our day.

Debr

Loved this tour, too. Returning to Dominica in 2014, can't wait to do another tour with Levi.

If you run cold like me, I wore a rash-style t-shirt over my swim suit, it helped, it's not called the wet tour for nothing. LOL!

Also, closed toed water shoes, like Keens, are a must. It will help with the mini hike down to the falls and the warm hot-spring pool.

Loved this tour, too. Returning to Dominica in 2014, can't wait to do another tour with Levi.

If you run cold like me, I wore a rash-style t-shirt over my swim suit, it helped, it's not called the wet tour for nothing. LOL!

Also, closed toed water shoes, like Keens, are a must. It will help with the mini hike down to the falls and the warm hot-spring pool.

I'll probably do this "adventure" but my traveling buddy may not, can she get to the hot-spring pool without going through the channel to the falls?

Debr

I am not an athlete, although at the time I was exercising more and had lost quite a bit of weight before the cruise! I am glad I did, but still as a larger woman, near 40, I could do this with very little problems. It was COLD but once you got in it was so lovely and a great experience. I didn't do anything adventurous just swam around. I wore a water sneaker type shoe (like a Keen, it was Ahnu) and that was much needed. I had a swimsuit with board shorts over but I think a rash guard might have been good too!

Enjoy!

I am not an athlete, although at the time I was exercising more and had lost quite a bit of weight before the cruise! I am glad I did, but still as a larger woman, near 40, I could do this with very little problems. It was COLD but once you got in it was so lovely and a great experience. I didn't do anything adventurous just swam around. I wore a water sneaker type shoe (like a Keen, it was Ahnu) and that was much needed. I had a swimsuit with board shorts over but I think a rash guard might have been good too!

Enjoy!

Thank you, I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable about this "adventure" Question, I've watched various YouTube's of the gorge, but where are the hot pools you can sit in? If my traveling buddy decides to forgo the gorge experience, can she still sit in the pools or do you have to go through the channel to the falls to get to the pools?

Thank you

Debr

• 2 weeks later...

Your friend does not have to go into Titou Gorge if she does not want to. She can wade into the beginning part to see if it's too cold for her and then decide. Also, once you are in the cave, you're in a calm area. You can forego the rough currents if you want. Levi does use a float to pull not-so-strong swimmers through the current.

The hot springs are at Trafalgar Falls, so it's a different place that you drive to. However, to get to the hot springs, you will have to walk over some slippery areas and it is a bit of a challenging trail. But, Levi is very good with helping everyone.

And, definitely get really good water shoes!

Your friend does not have to go into Titou Gorge if she does not want to. She can wade into the beginning part to see if it's too cold for her and then decide. Also, once you are in the cave, you're in a calm area. You can forego the rough currents if you want. Levi does use a float to pull not-so-strong swimmers through the current.

The hot springs are at Trafalgar Falls, so it's a different place that you drive to. However, to get to the hot springs, you will have to walk over some slippery areas and it is a bit of a challenging trail. But, Levi is very good with helping everyone.

And, definitely get really good water shoes!

Thank you:)

Debr

We wer there a couple weeks ago. The water is very cold, but the bigger problem is the current. It gets very strong near the entrance to the falls. I would not recommend this for someone who is not a strong swimmer. Also, there are no hot pools at the gorge, they are down at the falls.

• 5 months later...

felt closer to 50 to me - I am a strong swimmer - a former college swimteam swimmer and I found the current especially strong - especially with the shoes on my feet that you have to wear to get to that point. glad I did it once - won't likely do again - didn't find it that spectacular

I don't mean to discourage you - I honestly thought it was worth doing once - just no desire to go again.

If it makes you feel better, we went with Levi and I never felt in danger of any kind - he will take good care of you. My husband is a much weaker swimmer than I and also made it fairly easily - Levi will pull if you have trouble with the current and they insist you wear a floatie, so all is well.

Archived