Opinions on stroller for 4 year old...help!

aimathy

My 4 year old DD and I will be going on a cruise this week without my husband and older two children. We are going with my parents and my sister's family. I really had no thought of taking a stroller with me since she is long out of one. I was trying to think of what to do if she got tired on a port day and I found the Piggyback Rider which is a harness I can wear (think baby carrier) but it has a bar that she can stand on while I walk. It's a great idea and I was excited to try it...but the bottom line is she is just too heavy for me! I don't think I can do that for any length of time, at least not much longer than holding her in my arms, which is a stretch at this point.

I was looking at someone's review today and it made me remember just how far some of the walks can be and just how stressful it can be with "My legs are tired!!!" and I can't carry her and my husband's not there to help.

That being said, would you consider bringing an umbrella stroller from home? Rent one on the ship? (I have to see if Freedom of the Seas even has them.) Or would you just have her walk and hope for the best??

Thanks in advance for the advice!

The piggyback rider is cool - but not sure how heavy your DD is - we have one and my son is 43 pounds and it's too heavy for me.

My son is 4.5 as well and we have decided not to bring one this year - as last year be barely used it and it just takes up room.

however, without my husband there I would probably bring one for the ports (especially if alot of walking) because if your child is like mine - when he decides he is tired I can't get him to walk anymore :)

Also, if your DD still wants to sit in strollers then bring one - mine does not even want to sit in them anymore (because he is a big boy now...that's what he says :)

Good luck !

Do you have an old or inexpensive umbrella stroller you can take with you and just leave behind?

We last used our umbrella stroller at Disney when my daughter was 4. She is very tall for her age and couldn't sleep in the stroller because her head was so much taller than the back of the stroller, so we gave up on it after that but I don't see any reason you shouldn't use a stroller for a 4 yr old. We do LOTS of walking before we travel to make sure her shoes are well broken in and she's in good enough shape for whatever adventure awaits us - I realize the OP is leaving THIS week but maybe that will help someone else! I also really believe that having good quality supportive shoes really does help. With poor quality shoes their little feet hurt, and their legs hurt - hard to blame them for whining.

Whatever you decide - have a GREAT trip!

I just returned for an 8 day with my 4yo (but also had a 2yo). I am really glad we didn't bring a stroller BUT I did end up carrying her back onto the ship most days. I think a stroller would be too much of a hassle. I'm not sure if you're just doing beaches - but maybe yours could nap in shade at the beach? Then she will have energy to walk back onto ship?

Maybe limit the shopping since that's usually alot of walking too.

We brought an umbrella stroller when we cruised with our then 4-year-old. It was great for the airport. We also used it for some ports that involved a lot of walking. Our son fell asleep in it after a long day at the beach, and because he was able to sleep in the stroller, we had a nice walk around the shops. I think it's worth it to bring one for that age, especially if you are without your husband. It's also a great place to stow stuff.

Archived