Daytime Attire

islandsailing

Looking for information regarding day attire on QM2 and QE2 especially the AT SEA days. We are thinking of the Mediterranean Cruise which I imagine will be many British and European guests. We need an idea of how to dress as we do not want to offend any customs regarding appropriate apparel. Please provide your comments regarding bathing suits, cover-ups, t-shirts, shorts, sandals,and running shoes for men, women, and teenagers. Also, what is customary in the ports of Spain, France, Italy, and Portugal. We are fully prepared for formal and informal evenings but uncertain of daytime wear and are willing to dress more traditionally/formally while on deck, if that is what is required. Thanks for any help.

we were on the QM11 for 2 weeks on the Med last May and I was amazed at how badly people dressed. There is NO day time dress code, just casual and comfortable. I happen to be a very fashion concious person and brought a different outfit for every day and occassion, thinkinking this IS the QM11 after all. However we are going on a Norway cruise in 10 days time and returning back to New York and I am not taking nearly as many clothes. Keep in mind that the ports in June and July on the Med are extremely hot, so you would proberbly wear very light clothes

Just got off the QE2 and agree that there is no day time dress code. That said, I dined in our dining room every day for lunch, and never saw jeans or t-shirts(never any shorts). I wore khakis and button down shirts, and my friends wore slacks and (nicer) ladies' tops, all of us with a sweater. It seemed inappropriate to go to the dining room in anything more casual, as it did for tea in the Queen's Room. Of course the decks were casual- and as people use them for exercise, all styles of dress seemed appropriate.

The one thing that I did note is that people rarely traipsed through the hall in their bathrobes/ swimsuits on the way to the pool or Spa. Maybe I didn't see them, but in the spa, I watched many people come and go as I sat in the thallasotherapy pool, and they all changed from/into "street clothes" in the locker rooms. Not sure if there are locker/changing rooms at the pool, as it was a little cool to swim in Norway. Call me a philistine, but I'm not sure that I'd go that far. A bathrobe in the halls of stateroom decks on the way to pool or spa hardly seems an offense worth worrying about, but others might disagree. Certainly, I would never go to/through public rooms dressed that way. I'm sure you'll find a little of everything.

In terms of the ports, the general rule is to either avoid short skirts and sleeveless tops, or to have appropriate cover (a sweater, jacket or overshirt) to use for any visits to religious sites. Much beyond that, for good or for bad, it seems that most anything goes. My personal experience tends to tell me that if I'm better dressed, especially in restaurants, I get better service. But jeans, logo t-shirts and back packs were never my style. Have fun!

Since I was a kid, I have travelled on numerous QE2 World Cruises and trans-Atlantic crossings. Now, in my mid-40s, I'd guess total of 25+ times on board, each time either QG or PG category cabins. So far, 3 times on QM2, once QG and twice PG. In warm tropical climates, I would have no problem whatsoever wearing nice linen/pleated/cuffed shorts to lunch and I was not the only one doing so. Complemented with nice polo shirt or button-down, nice leather shoes.

I remember on one World Cruise in the early 80's, a guy came into the QG dressed in shorts, blazer, tie, etc. for dinner on a formal night. Of course, everyone looked at him and the maitre 'd stopped him to have a chat. Nevertheless, the guy sat down with his date and they had dinner.

Later, my Dad asked about it. Supposedly the guy asked "If I were a Scot, would you stop me from wearing my national dress of kilt and full regalia?" (or whatever the full outfit is called:confused: ) Maitre 'd said "No!" So the guy responded: "I am from Bermuda is this my national dress." :rolleyes:

Granted, the guy wore a tux on most formal nights, but we saw those shorts (with blazer, tie, etc.) several times during dinner.

Daytime attire on board QE2 is very informal. Shorts and scanty attire are not SUPPOSED to be worn in the dining rooms. I first cruised on her in 1985 and it was much more formal during the day then, however times have changed. One is required to wear more formal clothing in the evening, which I think is great and QE2 staff do try to enforce it by requesting this in the daily programme. There is I would say a good response to this. I gather this is not the case on other ships. We were horrified to see people in public rooms in shorts etc., on formal evenings,having changed after their meal. Not on QE2 I might add!!!! I suppose it depends how much effort everyone is prepared to make. personally I think it is lovely to dress up a little, it makes the cruise seem much more glamourous.

My family and I are leaving on the QM2 eastbound next week....our first cruise on Cunard. We are wondering about the weather during the transatlantic portion of the trip. Sweater weather during the day? Skorts? Long slacks?

Someone mentioned 2 balls....are these costume based? We have very little information about the evenings other than "dressy" attire is expected.

Please give us some guidance here.

Merci.:confused:

Are you also on the June 9 crossing? Welcome aboard.

Based on the brochure and discussion here on the boards, we are planning on two, POSSIBLY three formal evenings. Hopefully none of them are costume events/balls as we would be terribly ill-prepared. Yoiu might want to read the postings on the thread: Formal Nights on QM2. That should help.

Bon voyage!

Archived