Oahu Advice needed....PCC and Pearl

Loves2snorkel

Hi yall!!! Sailing on 6/11 on the Wind....arriving 6/9. Am trying to finalize precruise activities....looking for advice and input.

Hubby is HUGE history buff....so absolutely want to do Pearl. Am reluctant to shell out 50pp for organized tour. Am debating doing this on the morning of departure of cruise....or waiting until the day we get off the cruise, return flight to Dallas not till 5pm.

Am wondering about the PCC. Have read RAVE reviews....but wonder if its better to say save the $$$ and go the Sheraton on Friday night for their show and fireworks, that would also allow viewing Pearl Friday morning.

Have also heard of a Home of the Brave Tour and think hubby would like that...but dont know about the time committment for that tour.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!! I am obsessing about making all this perfect!!! Havent even booked my cars/shore excursions yet!!!

Thank you!

We've done the Home of the Brave tour, when we stayed on Oahu precruise. Like you, I planned it for my husband, but I also found it highly enjoyable. Yes, it is a big commitment of time, but you will get to see a lot of the island also, as they drive to the various stops. The tour guides are very knowledgable and fun. It is a small tour, so more enjoyable than slogging around with 50 other people on a big bus. They pick you up at your hotel around 6-6:30AM, and you are back to the hotel around 2PM, so you do have a lot of the afternoon to do other things. Here's their website so you can get more info: http://www.pearlharborhq.com

We didn't go to the PCC, doing a luau on Maui instead. But, the PCC does do mini-shows at the Royal Hawaiian shopping mall some evenings (the publication "This Week Oahu", which you can pick up in the baggage claim area will list free activities, dates/times). We went to one of those and had a great time. It gives you a chance to at least experience some of what they do, if you can't afford the time to do the PCC.

Becki

Thanks Spleen and Becki!!! Appreciate the input greatly!! I am the type of traveler that goes on vacation to see and do! I have a tendency to cram 20lbs of potatoes in 10 lb bag. I think the PCC sounds awesome, its just a whole day committment and am wondering if i need to let hubby decompress as it will be first full day of vacation. Me, I am like...I am FINALLY here....where are we goin, what are we doin! He He!!! I think the Home of the Brave would be awesome...I will discuss with him....Our cruise ship will board that day starting at noon....so i may just end up doin pearl ourselves. On our return, I dont think we could make the 630 am start of the tour....but the ending time will be perfect! Thanks for passing along the web site!! I appreciate your input....and opinions! Its tough when you only have 14 days in paradise!!! Ahhh the pressure of picking the right things to do!!! Ahhh ..but what a blessing to have the opportunity! Thanks again!

Spleen...forgot to address this....I saw where the Sheraton @ Wakiki (excuse spellings)...has a luau friday nite and fireworks....well, maybe not a luau, but a hawaiian show, its free. I dont mind spending the $$ for PCC if its as cool as I have read.

I know that we cannot take purses, etc on the tour. My camera fits into a small bag I wear on a belt. Does this also mean that I cannot take the little camera bag too? Thanks Nancy

No bags of any kind are allowed. I had leis with me in a clear plastic bag, which we were going to float at the Arizona Memorial (my FIL had been a Pearl Harbor survivor) and the park security made me discard the bag, and hold the leis on my arm, even tho' they could clearly see what was in the bag. No big deal, but it gives you an idea of how strictly they enforce the rules.

Here is the website for the Arizona Memorial, which will give you detailed info for your visit: http://www.nps.gov/usar/pphtml/planyourvisit.html

Becki

The Sheraton does have a hula show at night time poolside. Don't know how good it is without seeing it. As for fireworks, the only hotel that sets off fireworks is the Hilton Hawaiian Village, I believe ... and only on Friday nights. They also have a hula show poolside. Still won't be the same as the PCC though. :) It'll be more spectacle but not as much culture at the hotel shows.

Spleen

We took an early morning drive (rental car) to Pearl Harbor. We did everything we wanted, and still had time to visit the Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium. The Swap Meet is a must for souvey's. T-shirts 10 for $20. Shell Lei's 12 for $3.00. Back to the subject. We did all this and still had planty of time to return the rental, and get to the port, checkin, and participate in the safety drill. Checkin starts at 1:00pm... very busy at that time. By 3:00 the boarding area is empty and service improves. The cost for the two of us was $40 for the rental car, and included transportation to the pier.

Spleen - Thanks for the heads up!! Its nice to have a knowledgeable contact!!! What is your opinion on snorkeling? My head is swimming from reading alll these posts....I will probably snorkel off some of the beaches but was gonna do at least one organized trip - seems i read somewhere (?) that Kona was the spot to snorkel...i forget the name of the tour operator recommended there...i know it was 2 words. Do you have a snorkel opinion or advice??? I remember reading your thoughts on Road to Hana...you didnt seem enthusiastic on that unless you start the drive early....dont know that we can get early start due to ship schedule...but have read/heard it is a must see! Ahhh decisions, decisions!! I NEED a vacation!!! HA HA

Missedme----Wow...thanks for the great tips!!! The airline had me convinced that if we didnt do the tour with them we would be waiting HOURS to tour....but sounds like you handled it just fine!! Hubby is now leaning to do Pearl post cruise as the ship's bus will keep up with all the luggage for the day; we dock at 7am and fly out at 5pm...but will keep your post on file in case we do tour pre cruise!!! THANK YOU!!!

Hey Loves2Snorkel, We are just down the road from you in Wylie. We just returned from the 5-22 POA cruise.

We rented a car when we got to Oahu & Went to Pearl Harbor on the first morning. The time difference had us wide awake about 3:00 am, so it worked out great. We also were done early enough to go to the flea market & buy our souvenirs. We did all that & were done before noon.

We are like you in that we were blowing & going the whole time we were in Hawaii. We had to come home & go back to work in order to rest!

The best places to snorkel in Hawaii are (most commonly said to be) Kealakekua Bay on the Big Island and Molokini on Maui. As always, YMMV in term of different locations - certainly, they are not the only places to snorkel that would have good snorkeling (other common locations mentioned La Perouse Bay on Maui, Honolua Bay on Maui, Hanauma Bay on Oahu, Keauhou Bay on the Big Island, the area in front of the King Kam hotel in Kona on the Big Island, etc. etc.). Kealakekua Bay can be kayaked on your own by renting kayaks or you can take a sailing/catamaran trip through Fair Wind cruises.

I really think the Road is best done early as possible. It's certainly possible doing it later in the day as long as you expect more crowds, more difficult parking, and more snaking traffic. You can always turn back if it gets close in terms of time.

Spleen

For snorkeling, I would add Kahalu'u Beach on the BI and Black Rock on Kaanapali Beach or Kapalua Bay on Maui. Kahalu'u Beach is not far from Kona, and you could get there via the Ali'i Shuttle or via taxi. We've snorkeled all the Hawaiian Islands and the water clarity and amount of fish were best on the BI. Of course, that could have been due to many factors (time of year, weather, etc), but it was great snorkeling. Lots of turtles also.

Thanks Spleen!!! Please advice what YMMV means???? Have been racking my brain...even resorted to asking my 15yr old...she was clueless also!

Rjscott...thanks for your input as well!!! Have read some posts that if you are not on ship excursion you get off the ship last....so if we cant make the Fair Winds I will have some alternatives!!!

I think I am game to try road to hana....wont make hubby drive....and we can always turn around if need be...if its too crowded etc, we have all day on that side of maui, 8-1030...so should be able to do it justice! Seems like its a must see!

Appreciate all answers and input from everyone!!! So much to see and do....its good to have all your tips and advice to narrow down the selections!!

Road to Hana is a beautiful drive, but only if you take your time to enjoy the scenery and stop at the waterfalls, etc. Getting to Hana is not the point of the drive, the scenery is. It's the journey, not the destination. :) So, don't feel like you missed a great deal if you don't get all the way to Hana.

rjscott - thanks for the additions - I meant to add Black Rock and forgot. :)

Loves2snorkel - YMMV = "your mileage may vary" Sorry, that's an old one - not that common any more.

Spleen

Missedme: What rental car coompany did you use for your trip? Did you pick up at the airport and then return closer to port? I'm trying to decide about my options--I've thought about the following:

1. Renting car at airport on arrival and driving to hotel--then next am to Pearl Harbor/Swap meet, then to port. Not sure what companies would work--are there any that have shuttles to port, or will I need to take a taxi--down side to this is I don't want to be driving at around Oahu after just getting off the flight--it will be 1 am my time on arrival.

2. Renting a car at the hotel in the am to go over to Pearl Harbor, then returning to hotel to call cab to port?

3. Do shuttles for everything, and leave the driiving to someone else.

Would appreciate any recommendation, including company.

We were on the 5-22 POA cruise. And we had the 5 pm flight to Dallas. After the cruise we took the Pearl Harbor tour and it worked out perfect. We needed something to occupy several hours, and there was the luggage. in addition, you usually get your Pearl Harbor ticket and then have to wait 1-2 hours for the tour. Not only did the bus keep up with our luggage, after we got our tickets, we got back on the bus and toured downtown for 1.5 hours.

In Kona we had a rent car and went snorkeling at Kohalu'u Beach. Great snorkeling. I have pictures of me swimming with large sea turtles, and one came up on the beach to pose for the tourists.

Any part of the Road to Hana is great. But it is all about the scenery. The is nothing in Hana. Start as early as you can. The later you start, the harder it is to get parking places at the turnouts.

If you are going to do any independent touring, buy the "Revealed" books. Read them, hi-lite them and follow their advice and you will have a wonderful trip.

• 2 weeks later...
What rental company you used that took you to the pier in Honolulu?

It was Enterprise Rental Car. I am pretty sure it was the one at:

1888 KALAKAUA AVE STE C107

HONOLULU, HI

They offered a car for $32 and a ride to the pier, and when I got there I sweet talked them into a convertible for $40. They actually took us to the pier in the convertible that we had been driving, so we didn't even have to move our luggage.

Archived