Trying to Understand the HAL Guarantee

trubey

I hope you all don't think that this subject has been beaten to death, but I do have a question that I don't think has been addressed yet.

We will be on the Prinsendam in November, an inside K guarantee, so like any good Cruise Critic, I regularly check the price on my ta's web site and on HAL's website.

Now, here's where I need some help understanding the HAL site. When I clicked the link to get a definition of "Guarantee" this is what it told me:

"This category is strictly for
new bookings ONLY

At this time we are not assigning staterooms in K category. If you choose to reserve space in this category Holland America will guarantee the price for K category and you will be notified of your stateroom assignment 7 - 10 days prior to departure."

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Why would a Guarantee be for new bookings? This makes it sound as if you could simply decide that you like this price and although there aren't any rooms left, you can still chose this price.

And why are some categories listed as "Closed" and some as "Guarantee"? Is there a difference.

I know that this post is long-winded, but I really don't understand. susan.

I'd suppose that there are some cabins remaining in K category, but they are very limited (possibly handicap) or they expect some to become available; consequently, the cruise line wants to reserve the right to assign/reassign them.

"Special" prices often apply only to new bookings. There are exceptions so it doesn't hurt to call. We once had booked a low category outside cabin which subsequently was reduced in price. When our TA called, she was informed that the reduction was, surprise, for new bookings only. But we were offered a major reduction in price if we'd accept an "outside" guarantee. We jumped on that and landed in a category C midships.

A closed category means just that. However, that doesn't preclude it from opening up again next week or even tomorrow.

Keep in mind that cruise lines balance their pax loading to maximize revenues, so offerings may appear opaque to us while they're perfectly clear to the cruise line. I certainly was puzzled by the guarantee offer we were given, but I didn't look the gift horse in the mouth.;)

Archived