convertible hiking pants/hiking boots

fireflymd

One of the hiking excursions I have booked has listed on their website: synthetic hiking pants under "requirements for hiking".

For those of you who have done a lot of hiking, is there any benefit to wearing these pants? I have read reviews where people have said they really liked the fabric, and also liked being able to convert their pants to shorts.

Any preference for the waterproof hiking boots? I have a pair of waterproof hiking shoes from LLBean that are the most comfortable things I've ever walked in, but I'm wondering if the "mid" size boot would be better, and what brands others have preferred.

One of the hiking excursions I have booked has listed on their website: synthetic hiking pants under "requirements for hiking".

For those of you who have done a lot of hiking, is there any benefit to wearing these pants? I have read reviews where people have said they really liked the fabric, and also liked being able to convert their pants to shorts.

Any preference for the waterproof hiking boots? I have a pair of waterproof hiking shoes from LLBean that are the most comfortable things I've ever walked in, but I'm wondering if the "mid" size boot would be better, and what brands others have preferred.

Firefly,

Any sort of decent hiking/active pant should work. I have some from Eddie Bauer, REI, & Bass Pro Shops that all work well, and each is convertible and pretty water repellant. I think they just want to make sure people don't show up on a rainy day with jeans that will soak up the water and make you totally miserable. I have no idea the type of hike your excursion entails, but while we've bought some nice mid ankle Keen waterproff light duty hiking boots for our Alaska adventures, they've been plenty of shoe for the outings and explorations we've done. That said, none have been "serious" hiking. You may just want to shoot them an meail or give them a call. No reason to layout more money unless you really have to when you sound totally happy with the waterproof footwear you've got now. Is your hiking excursion a ship offering, or an independent arrangement?

L.J.

Synthetic hiking pants are quick-drying and lightweight. If you are hiking in Southeast AK, that would be a plus. I don't care for pants with zip off legs, but they might be useful in a hot climate (not in Alaska so much).

Regarding boots, it depends on the terrain. When I took a small ship cruise in Southeast AK, we hiked nearly everyday and always wore rubber boots for wet landings in the Zodiacs, as well as lots of water and mud on the trails. I hike often here in Oregon, and I like Keens for their fit. As long as your boots are waterproof, comfortable and already broken in, I would say use those.

I had a number of synthetic hiking pants that I brought with me to Alaska. All were from REI. REI Sahara Cargo and Sahara Convertable pants. Like the idea of the convertable pants, but never needed to turn them into shorts since it never got warm enough. What I did like was they they are somewhat water resistant and dry quickly, but what I liked more was that they were lightweight and easy to pack. Less bulky then jeans or cotton pants.

As for hiking shoes, I had Salomon XA PRO 3D ULTRA 2 GTX and DW had a pair of Keen Alamosa WP Hiking Shoes which she liked. We both opted for the low cut shoes as opposed to a boot. Merrell, Keen, Vasquez, & Salomon all make nice waterproof hiking shoes. They can be pricey, but worth it if you are hiking in AK IMHO. Definitely go and try them on and get them well before you leave and break them in. Mine had many miles of dog walking before we left for AK.

Synthetic hiking pants are quick-drying and lightweight. If you are hiking in Southeast AK, that would be a plus. I don't care for pants with zip off legs, but they might be useful in a hot climate (not in Alaska so much).

Regarding boots, it depends on the terrain. When I took a small ship cruise in Southeast AK, we hiked nearly everyday and always wore rubber boots for wet landings in the Zodiacs, as well as lots of water and mud on the trails. I hike often here in Oregon, and I like Keens for their fit. As long as your boots are waterproof, comfortable and already broken in, I would say use those.

Thanks! I appreciate your advice. It does sound like the hiking pants are a great idea, and there would be little need for them to be convertible.

Firefly,

Any sort of decent hiking/active pant should work. I have some from Eddie Bauer, REI, & Bass Pro Shops that all work well, and each is convertible and pretty water repellant. I think they just want to make sure people don't show up on a rainy day with jeans that will soak up the water and make you totally miserable. I have no idea the type of hike your excursion entails, but while we've bought some nice mid ankle Keen waterproff light duty hiking boots for our Alaska adventures, they've been plenty of shoe for the outings and explorations we've done. That said, none have been "serious" hiking. You may just want to shoot them an meail or give them a call. No reason to layout more money unless you really have to when you sound totally happy with the waterproof footwear you've got now. Is your hiking excursion a ship offering, or an independent arrangement?

L.J.

We booked the excursion through the Princess website--it's called Ultimate Denali Hike & Flight and involves taking a floatplane into the park and then a few hours of hiking. It looks like it is run by K2 and Alaska Alpine Adventures. I can't imagine it would be too strenuous (at least I hope not!)--I think the minimum age was 8 years.

I'll check out the Keens for my family. Thanks!

I had a number of synthetic hiking pants that I brought with me to Alaska. All were from REI. REI Sahara Cargo and Sahara Convertable pants. Like the idea of the convertable pants, but never needed to turn them into shorts since it never got warm enough. What I did like was they they are somewhat water resistant and dry quickly, but what I liked more was that they were lightweight and easy to pack. Less bulky then jeans or cotton pants.

As for hiking shoes, I had Salomon XA PRO 3D ULTRA 2 GTX and DW had a pair of Keen Alamosa WP Hiking Shoes which she liked. We both opted for the low cut shoes as opposed to a boot. Merrell, Keen, Vasquez, & Salomon all make nice waterproof hiking shoes. They can be pricey, but worth it if you are hiking in AK IMHO. Definitely go and try them on and get them well before you leave and break them in. Mine had many miles of dog walking before we left for AK.

Thanks for the suggestions on hiking pants--they do sound like a good idea for Alaska. I'm so relieved to hear you were fine with low cut shoes instead of a boot. I'm finding the mid-boots uncomfortable around my ankles, so if a higher boot is not necessary and I can wear my waterproof shoes, that's great.

I definitely want my family to wear their hiking boots before we go. Now I just need to get the waterproofing. Thanks, again!

Thanks for the suggestions on hiking pants--they do sound like a good idea for Alaska. I'm so relieved to hear you were fine with low cut shoes instead of a boot. I'm finding the mid-boots uncomfortable around my ankles, so if a higher boot is not necessary and I can wear my waterproof shoes, that's great.

I definitely want my family to wear their hiking boots before we go. Now I just need to get the waterproofing. Thanks, again!

This is the problem I ran into when I tried on the mid-boots. They were very uncomfortable at my ankle. It would probably have taken a long time to get my feet used to wearing that type of a boot. I am sure they are beneficial in a very rugged turrain helping you keep your foot supported.

In the end I went with low hikers and they worked very well for the hiking we did. We had one hike that was in very uneven terrain and I just took my time and all was well.

Just be forewarned that if the cruiseship does not get enough people signed up for an excursion, they will cancel it. I would make sure to have a back up plan. If you know who is running the tour, I would have their phone number handy so you could call them and see about taking the tour independently if the cruiseline cancels on you. JMHO

This is the problem I ran into when I tried on the mid-boots. They were very uncomfortable at my ankle. It would probably have taken a long time to get my feet used to wearing that type of a boot. I am sure they are beneficial in a very rugged turrain helping you keep your foot supported.

In the end I went with low hikers and they worked very well for the hiking we did. We had one hike that was in very uneven terrain and I just took my time and all was well.

Just be forewarned that if the cruiseship does not get enough people signed up for an excursion, they will cancel it. I would make sure to have a back up plan. If you know who is running the tour, I would have their phone number handy so you could call them and see about taking the tour independently if the cruiseline cancels on you. JMHO

I'm glad the low hikers worked out for you--it's good to know the mid-boots are not absolutely necessary.

So far it looks like this excursion has been "sold out". They only take 6 people, so that's 2 others in addition to my 4.

Yes, I have learned through this forum to always have a back-up plan for excursions. Thanks!

Archived