Sounds pretty crazy to me!!!!

We are planning a cruise in January RCI Manier of the Sea. My husband is in a powerchair and he also uses insulin. I asked if the rooms had a frig. Our Costa Cruise did. Well I understand RCI does not. I was told we could leave the insulin in the ice bucket and the steward would come in every hr and change the ice.

This sounds pretty CRAZY to me. Yes during the day this might be ok but what about during the night? I don't need anyone coming in every hr.

Yes I know we will make some other plans. I will more than likely bring a tiny ice chest. But I just thought the idea sounded off the wall.

Contact Special Services. I belive they have an arrangement for rental refrigerators for some of their ships.

Alternatively, keep it in the ship's hospital refrig. You would have to go pick it up there.

Actually, I am a nurse, and it is not necessary to refrigerate insulin if kept at normal room temperatures. You just need to protect it from extreme heat. We never refrigerate it in the hospital. Check with your pharmacist on this.

I've always keep the insulin in the refrig althought i understand it doesn't need to be.

About the room having a frig or not, i guess i will find out in January. No big deal if insulin does not have to be kept cold.

The thing i wanted to addressing in the post was the fact that the steward would come in every hour to check the ice in the bucket. I thought that was just plain crazy.

What do you think?

The thing i wanted to addressing in the post was the fact that the steward would come in every hour to check the ice in the bucket. I thought that was just plain crazy.

What do you think?

You're right -- that's a crazy idea. The stewards have a lot of cabins to take care of and are very busy, so you could never count on an hourly visit, even if you should want that many intrusions, day and night. Also, your steward will be off duty for several hours each day, and would not be visiting your cabin during his (or her) off duty times. Whoever made that suggestion wasn't thinking with a full deck IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Most insulin will lose its potency if not kept refrigerated. Howver, once opened you can use for up to 30 days without refrigereation without losing potency. I keep all my unopened bottles in the fridge but once I open I mark the date on the bottle, leave it in my medicine bag and then dispose of after 30 days if not used by then ( which it usually is).

we have been on RCL, Celebrity & P&O ships and have always had a mini fridge. Another altn is to take a mini flask and put your own ice in there with the insulin it will last 24 hours, or I have a frio bag for traveling with my insulin, which keeps the insulin cold for 48 hours, after that you just place it in iced water to resetart it for another 48 hours, they are very good. As it has already been said insulin being used doesn't need to be refriderated, but I always take a spare cartridge for both my insulin pens just in case I drop them or loose them. I am sure there would be no problem in keeping insulin in the ships hospital fridge (although knowing charges for medical things, they'd probably be a storage charge.......).

Have a good trip.

Chez

:-)

Archived