Cruising with a toddler

Newbi

Cruising with a toddler:

We did a 5 week traveling holiday with my 15 month old in December - this included everything from 2 ten hour back to back flights, 2 weeks cruising on celebrity, and traveling.

Before the trip I was very sceptical after reading some of the reviews - and I decided to write a small review about my experience.

From my point of view a cruise is the ideal traveling holiday with a toddler - for a couple of reasons:

1. You are always on the boat around 6 pm - this means bath time, dinner and sleep (will always be a constant roetine)

2. Food is easily available

3. The few sea days inbetween give you some extra time just to play

Must haves:

1. Blow up pool/bath (although we never used this at the swimming pool - this was ideal for bathing each night)

2. Nappies and wipes more than enough (this was not available onboard) - possible to buy at most of the port were we stopped

3. Baby meds (more than what you think you will need)

4. Snacks and meals - individually wrapped for port days (although authorities never checked us - we were told at numerous ports that we are not alowed to take any foods off - prepackaged foods are ok)

5. Toys...the cruiseline also gave some toys (?rented?)

6. If possible a family room is nice - this will give you that extra space - for the little on to walk around and explore

We never used the baby sitting service -this was available. Had fixed dining at 8:30. By that time the little one already had dinner, bathed and was asleep in her stroller - so we could enjoy the rest of our evening.

On port days we had to take a little different approach - most of the trips for snorkeling ect does not allow toddlers. Beach days was ideal for her, but we also did some island tours on every island.

This wasnt a problem for us - although we are divers and love snorkeling - we knew we would have the oppurtunity in the rest of our holiday to dive and snorkel...might be a drawback for some parents....

Must say that even the rest of the holiday this seem to be one of the only problems...luckily the grandparents came along so we would devide the day - the would do a snorkel the morning and we would do a dive in the afternoon...bit of a slep...but possible

Taking everything into consideration - cruising with my toodler was a breeze.

Anybody with questions i will help where possible.

Thanks for your review! I'm cruising next week with my 15 month old so this post was perfect! Glad you were able to enjoy everything and it doesnt sound like your evenings were confined to your room. What did you bring on the plane to play with?

Thanks for your review! I'm cruising next week with my 15 month old so this post was perfect! Glad you were able to enjoy everything and it doesnt sound like your evenings were confined to your room. What did you bring on the plane to play with?

We took a whole bag of toys - 2 old favourites but most of them new, compact, and cheapish toys...the most valuable thing was our ipad videos... She also ended up playing with the safety belt, magazines ect...in retrospect i needed less for the flight...but the toys was handy on the cruise and on the res of our holiday.... I would definitely suggest some meds for the little one during a long flight... Easier for you, the little one and all of those around you. We had 9 flights during the last 5 weeks.... Only gave meds on the transatlantic flights ect .. Keeping them busy for a 2 hour period is easy...but for more than 10 hours - somewhat difficult.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm thinking about the meds for our flight from LAX to Orlando. We've got one stop with no plane change, so I'm afraid that she's going to feel trapped. Do you do Benadryl?

I never used benadryl for my kids when flying, but be aware that it has an opposite affect on some kids and can make them quite hyper. If your child has never had benadryl and you are not sure how they react to it, I don't recommend trying it for the first time on a long flight! :eek:

I'm thinking about the meds for our flight from LAX to Orlando. We've got one stop with no plane change, so I'm afraid that she's going to feel trapped. Do you do Benadryl?

Like someone said, Benedryl can have the opposite effect on children. I have never given my son Benedryl for a flight. He fell asleep on his own. We have flown from Florida to New Mexico and Las Vegas with him. I'm not saying he was an absolute angel on every flight (one flight, the poor baby had been traveling for 10 hours and 4 flights and a man told me to muzzle him), but for the most part, traveling has not been an issue. The motion of the plane has almost always knocked him out.

Im not familiar with benadryl, but from what i could get from google is that its a non sedating anthistamine. As a doctor Ill rather take more meds than needed as you never know what to expect. What you give all depends on the age of your child, lenght of flight and timing of flight. If its a night flight its usually easier. Anything less than a hour or two i dont give anything. On the long flights i had great success with ponstan(mefenamic acid) and aterax ( sedating antihistamine). Aterax is one of the older anthistamines...very sedating and it really works. I usually start with the ponstan preflight... And depending on how the liitle one reacts i might add aterax during flight.

As the others mentioned with any antihistamine you have to at least try it once before you fly as there is the odd chance that you might have an hyperactive child on the meds.

Nobody wants a 10 hour flight with a crying child... It is my point of view that its just considered to everyone around you on the plane if you do all you can to keep the little one happy.

Archived