Awkward Solo Moments

adaymerced

I loved reading all the experiences of the solos cruisers. I wonder if some of the people here already got married, or divorced, since this post started few years ago, it's a lot of time and things happen in life.

I'll do my first solo cruise in 60 days, and this post helped a lot. Thanks everyone for sharing, and hope to hear from you guys soon.

This is a wonderful thread! I stumbled across it today and have enjoyed reading through all the posts.

I did my first solo cruise by accident. Truly, as my travelling companion, a friend from work had an injury that kept her from travelling with me. I did a week long cruise and had several moments of discomfort and loneliness. Of course, it was only my second or third cruise so I wasn't certain of myself.

The awkward moment came when I ran into a couple in the library the first day. The wife had an armful of books, and he turned to me and said something like "I guess I won't be getting lucky on this cruise, she's going to be busy reading". I laughed a little and walked away. It turned out to be even funnier, when we were seated together that evening at dinner. He obviously didn't recall who I was, but I reminded him of his comment, and we three had a good chuckle.

Since then, I've traveled alone several times. I've learned to avoid the photographers (which I generally do even if I'm travelling with others) and to attend sessions where I can meet others. I love to knit so find like minded people there, and most cruises have a solo get together. If no one shows for the first one, don't be hesitant to go to the next night...sometimes it takes a day or two. For those who want to be certain of a solo group, try NCL. The solo lounge is a good place to meet, and the solo concierge will arrange for the group to meet for dinner.

Have fun!

This is a wonderful thread! I stumbled across it today and have enjoyed reading through all the posts.

I did my first solo cruise by accident. Truly, as my travelling companion, a friend from work had an injury that kept her from travelling with me. I did a week long cruise and had several moments of discomfort and loneliness. Of course, it was only my second or third cruise so I wasn't certain of myself.

The awkward moment came when I ran into a couple in the library the first day. The wife had an armful of books, and he turned to me and said something like "I guess I won't be getting lucky on this cruise, she's going to be busy reading". I laughed a little and walked away. It turned out to be even funnier, when we were seated together that evening at dinner. He obviously didn't recall who I was, but I reminded him of his comment, and we three had a good chuckle.

Since then, I've traveled alone several times. I've learned to avoid the photographers (which I generally do even if I'm travelling with others) and to attend sessions where I can meet others. I love to knit so find like minded people there, and most cruises have a solo get together. If no one shows for the first one, don't be hesitant to go to the next night...sometimes it takes a day or two. For those who want to be certain of a solo group, try NCL. The solo lounge is a good place to meet, and the solo concierge will arrange for the group to meet for dinner.

Have fun!

NCL is definitely the most solo friendly of the Cruise Lines. Done half dozen of them and there's always a group that shows up for the meeting in the Studio Lounge and group dinners for some of the nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk