Gluten free form question

hennypenny69

Hi

I hope someone can help me - I have booked to go on the Ryndam in July. My son cannot have gluten. HAL in UK have emailed me a form to fill in and send to HAL in USA. I have having some problems filling the form in. Would anyone be able to assist me with this?

thanks in advance

Hennypenny

What is your question. I went gluten free my last cruise. One thing to remember is as soon as you board, go to meet the Maitre 'de and they will go over options. There are plenty. Word of advice, the gluten free bread is terrible but the gluten free waffles at the Lido breakfast buffet are good!

What is your question. I went gluten free my last cruise. One thing to remember is as soon as you board, go to meet the Maitre 'de and they will go over options. There are plenty. Word of advice, the gluten free bread is terrible but the gluten free waffles at the Lido breakfast buffet are good!

thank you for your reply - I have been emailed a form with 4 different headings - breads/muffins/buns, pasta, desserts and miscellaneous. There are various foods listed under each heading.

At the top of the form is says "maximum of three gluten free products from each list below, per person, per day (ie for a 7-day sailing each category will total 21 items). Additional number of items over allowance $2.00 per item"

My question is - does this mean three items per heading per day as in three different pastas and three different breads and three different cakes (potentially 12 items a day) or does it mean three items overall per day as in 1 item from three of the 4 categories - therefore we have to choose just one item for each meal?

I hope this makes sense - if not I can attach the form to show you.

Thank you - I'm sorry if I am being a bit dense but I want to get it right not only for my son but also to avoid paying lots of extra $2 per item!!

thank you for your help - it is appreciated!

thank you for your reply - I have been emailed a form with 4 different headings - breads/muffins/buns, pasta, desserts and miscellaneous. There are various foods listed under each heading.

At the top of the form is says "maximum of three gluten free products from each list below, per person, per day (ie for a 7-day sailing each category will total 21 items). Additional number of items over allowance $2.00 per item"

My question is - does this mean three items per heading per day as in three different pastas and three different breads and three different cakes (potentially 12 items a day) or does it mean three items overall per day as in 1 item from three of the 4 categories - therefore we have to choose just one item for each meal?

I hope this makes sense - if not I can attach the form to show you.

Thank you - I'm sorry if I am being a bit dense but I want to get it right not only for my son but also to avoid paying lots of extra $2 per item!!

thank you for your help - it is appreciated!

Hi HennyPenny,

My son and wife chose the Gluten Free items as 1 from each list for each meal per day i.e. one from each list for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

I hope this helps.

Hi

thanks for your reply - so you chose 12 items a day each? Sorry to be picky - son is autistic and wants to fill in the form himself - but because of his autism it has to be right and I am expected to know all the answers!! :eek:

We are looking forward to our cruise with HAL, we have cruised with other companies before but liked the idea of a cruise with HAL.

thanks

Hennypenny

I remember the form and found for me most of the time it didn't apply. I ate breakfast and lunch in Lido and there was no problem asking for and finding gluten free items. If you were to eat in the MDR then I'm sure that you would get your GF muffin or if you did room service. They really only needed it for the first night because from then out you would, after dinner, get the next night's menu and make your selections at that time.

I agree with fsdj1057 that I would assume that you get one out of each header per day but when you board you can and should talk with the maitre 'de and he will help you.

When I did go to Lido no one asked for my room card or for my room number to see if I was getting more GF products per day.

When I went to the waffle station, I asked the crew member who was making the waffles. I also did the same thing in the pasta station. At the sandwich station, ask for GL bread. They have GL waffle mix and the back as well as using rice noodles in the pasta station. This will be explained when you have your meeting when you board the ship - should be a note in your room regarding the meeting.

Hi

Thank you very much for all your replies - they are appreciated. We will fill in the form and then do as you suggest and meet the Maitre d' once we embark. We have had different gluten free experiences on cruises - ranging from not much at all to our son having his own assigned waiter. Our son will love the idea of planning his meal for the following day. He also likes the idea of waffles :)

thank you again

hennypenny

Archived