What have you had made special for your table?

mommykim

Hi all,

I remember the good old days of Princess where the Captain would come and make special pasta at the table. You'd tell him what you like and the next night he'd make it. Our last cruise we had grilled vegetables plus mozarella and peppers made for us and both were wonderful. What have y'all had made recently?

On our most recent cruise reunion we were treated like royality,with special treats nightly. We started with a specially prepared appetizer every night. Corado, our Head Waiter, loved to watch us as he would walk out the dishes to us all. One night Jose, MaitreD prepared this pasta dish that was so delicious. It had eggplant stuffed with pasta, cheeses & sauce. Another night he had a lobster dish that was out of this world. ;)

We've had the maitre d' prepare shrimp scampi for our entire table, after an Italian lady complained that the Italian themed menu couldn't be called Italian without scampi. It was fantastic. The lady who asked was really quite upset at first (the mortified look on her daughter's face was priceless), but the whole little incident was handled with such tact by the MD that it turned out very positively.

On another occasion, I arranged with our head waiter to ask if we could get something other than the fra diavolo for my wife, who doesn't like spicy food. The next night, the chef came out himself and served my wife a shrimp dish that wasn't scampi, and gave the rest of us a little appetizer serving to try. It was one of the best things I've ever tasted. I asked the chef what it was, and he said it was something he just "threw together".

We were seated with a couple from Scotland. The conversation turned to eating styles -- Continental (fork stays in left hand w/tines down) vs. American (fork in left hand to cut, switch to right to eat). The husband mentioned that his wife would even eat her peas off the back of the fork. Intrigued, we wanted a demonstration, so we asked the headwaiter if peas were on the menu any night.

He was surprised at the request and was curious why we wanted peas. We told him we were going to get lessons on the Continental style of eating. The next night, he cooked us a large bowl of peas and stayed around for the lesson as well.

I had listed "low cholestrol" for hubby in the personalizer (his doctor had suggested he start watching what he eats -- he was just borderline) and the head of the dining room would come over every night and show him the menu for the next night. Hubby would pick what he wanted and then the next day the meal would come, sans most of the fat and cooked specially for him.

One of our tablemates asked the waiter if they could get fried shrimp as an appetizer 'cause they didnt like shrimp cocktail. Most of us said it sounded good, so the waiter ended up bringing a big platter of fried shrimp to split for the table. Since it was obviously a hit, our waiter brought a platter out every night after that without being asked. He took good care of us the entire cruise, and of course, we took care of him ($$) on the last night.

Archived