Most interesting person(s) met on a cruise

Pagogo

I guess in terms of interesting people, there was this one lady on Navigator in 2009. She looked to be mid to late 40s, wore nice clothes, gave the impression she was very well educated, but I quickly found the last part was an act. I guess for an actor, they need an audience. This lady had a friend that was always with her. My hearing isn't that great, but I could always hear her so she must have been loud. You know those people you see multiple times every day whether you want to or not? She was at the table next to ours in dinner, frequently next to us in shows or the windjammer, she was always around. She was always talking and it was quite awhile before I realized she had no clue what she was talking about, but talked with such authority. I've finally purged most of her from my memory, but she would say things with absolute certainty that were clearly wrong and friend would hang on every word. I would privately laugh at some of the stuff, but after a few days, it was hard not to throw the BS flag, I'd have to get up an move to avoid laughing out loud.

You know those people you see multiple times every day whether you want to or not? She was at the table next to ours in dinner, frequently next to us in shows or the windjammer, she was always around.

I like to call this person "my nemesis" in jest.

Why is it that they are the people you see more than anyone else? It actually jogs my memory of another story. My husband and I flew to Puerto Rico for our trip on Adventure in 2009. This not so attractive lady got seated on the plane on the other side of my husband. She wouldn't take her eyes off of him and kept trying to talk to him as if I wasn't even there. We had no idea that she was also going on the same cruise. Well....sure enough...who do we run into literally EVERYWHERE? Her! She would always make sure to say hello to him and smile and wouldn't even acknowledge my existance at all. I told my husband he acquired himself a stalker. She was my version of a nemesis!

A waiter in the WJ who hit of me in front of my family, saying that he hadn't met many women who were as tall as me who weren't fatter. Also, he said guys like him want to marry girls like me so that they have tall children.

Great, so I'm not as fat as someone else and I'm marriage material because of my genes.

He didn't even come up to my shoulder! :p

I played along but didn't come to dinner for free wine from him like he wanted and he looked crushed when he served us in the WJ on disembarking day.

I feel bad, but a little relieved too. Hopefully I don't run into him in a few months!

A waiter in the WJ who hit of me in front of my family, saying that he hadn't met many women who were as tall as me who weren't fatter.

Ah, a smooth talker!

Great, so I'm not as fat as someone else and I'm marriage material because of my genes. !

And maybe your jeans too ;)

Yes!! On every cruise, there has been some annoying person or group we run into everywhere. Like they are following us or we are following them. It's annoying. One of the most memorable was Peaches. She was named that because our first encounter with this rude woman was while she was wearing a peach pants suit. After that we encountered her rude behavior all over the ship. Pushing and shoving, cutting in line in the Windjammer, fingering foods and putting them back. You know the kind. Hope to never run into Peaches again.

I am a photobombing hipster... I photobombed before it was cool. HAHAHA

Back in the early 90's, a relative graduated from high school and I went around the infield of the stadium where it was held and tried to get in as many photos as I possibly could.

VERY small town. A very small town where everyone knew everyone, except I was from 1,500 miles away, so no one knew me. My relatives there called me a few weeks later (in the days where you had to develop your film!) and said everyone in town was talking about some guy in a blue shirt who was in so many photos.

Seriously, I was exhausted by the end of the night. I was all over that field. I did the drive-by, where I walked behind slowly and suddenly glanced over as the picture was snapped. I did the background grin, where I stood just out of range... then slid in and cheeseball smiled at the last second. I did the POP goes the weasel, where I suddenly popped up right in the middle of the group. I did the WASSUP where I jumped in front. I tried every method I could think of.

Love it!! Hilarious!!

There was a group of young men on Oasis a couple of weeks ago that were all dressed up in fancy dress a few of the nights. we saw them one night with false noses, moustaches, coloured braces and ties. Then another night they were all like pimps with purple flares shiny suits, canes and big hats etc. The ventriloquist guy (Ronn Lucas, who I also met in the lift!) had a great time with them at his show. A barman said they go on a lot of cruises and always get dressed up. He said after leaving Mexico they woulld be dressed as a Mariachi band but I didn't spot them that night. anyone know who they are?

On our January cruise, DH and I sailed in a GS. This was the second time we sailed in a suite. The first time, we didn't really use the Concierge Lounge much as we had our teenage daughter with us. This time, we enjoyed having cocktails before dinner each night. We met many diamond plus cruisers in the lounge and we were amazed by the number of folks who cruise 100 or more days each year.

We are not retired yet. However, I found it interesting that folks enjoy spending that much time on a ship. We love to cruise but I am not sure I could spend more than a few weeks per year at sea. I loved hearing their stories and their wisdom about sailing. It gave us a different perspective on ways to retire.

Archived