Fishing on your own?

hockeyucf

As two young travelers on a budget, we're trying to figure out how to take full advantage of our Alaska cruise without spending a fortune on the cruise-affiliated excursions. Also, we like the independence of choosing our own activities on our schedule without planning ahead...

That said, is it possible to fish on your own (i.e. not as part of a charter or excursion) anywhere? Do you rent a rod and reel? Please share your experiences on where you fished, how you got your equipment, and what you caught.

Thanks!

Cara

In Juneau, you can rent tackle over by DIPAC and fish for salmon off the dock. If the fish are in, it's combat fishing and most people are snagging them but if you just wat to fish you can do it.

Otherwise, the best fishing around here is from a boat.

Dave

In Seward you can rent a pole for $10 a day with a deposit.You can also rent a skiff (small boat)if you want to get out on the water.Depending on when your here you can get different species of salmon right from the shore.Most halibut are caught 2 hours out in the ocean but 2 years ago the 1st and 2nd place in derby were both over 200# were caught in the bay not far off the shore.

Hockeyucf,

My wife and I were in Alaska last year and I fished a number of times and places on my on. Caught at least some fish in every stop. I can relate to your needs. We are a not so young couple also on a budget. Also, I just enjoy it more doing it on my own. It's not the number of fish you catch but the satisfaction of doing it yourself. I did a lot of research before our trip last year and we are leaving again in several weeks for a return trip. I intend to do even more fishing this trip. And my wife is going to fish with me this time. I have continued my research since last year and have learned a geat deal. There does not appear to be a lot of serious fishermen on this board but there are other boards that have plenty of information about fishing in Alaska. I would be happy to share what knowledge I have with you. If you will email me at my wife's address of lindamarable@yahoo.com I will help you in any way I can.

Charliem

Archived