Chef's Table - are people snobbish?

ROXIETHEHORSE

I am allergic to shellfish too and I've done the Chef's Table several times. All you have to do is tell the maître d' about the allergy and they will take care of you. Some of the appetizers contain fish, but I just skip them. Also a couple of times they have made up a separate appetizer for me without the fish. I think you should go and do it have fun. It's a great evening.

We have been reluctant to join a Chef's table on many cruises but did sign up aboard the Pacific Princess once we heard that the dining affair was to be held within the Grill restaurant. We think that holding it in the middle of a main dining room to be too conspicuous which we would not enjoy. But in the more private venue everyone seemed very relaxed and involved. And for those who do not partake of alcohol beverages such as wine and liquors there is a reduction in the price to accommodate them.

We did the Chef's Table on the Golden in December. It was truly a wonderful experience, the people we dined with were from varied backgrounds and were lovely dinner companions. No snobs, just fellow "foodies" enjoying a special evening together. We all enjoyed the extra attention from the staff, but didnt feel at all conspicuous. One of our dinner companions was gluten-free, and they made sure she had special breads for the meal. The staff really seems to take your dietary restrictions seriously, but it didn't seem like having a restriction would automatically make you ineligible to participate.

It was a great night; certainly a highlight of our wonderful trip.

Archived