1st time in a balcony questions

My first balcony cabin was in the summer and most of the time in the sun. It was actually too hot out there. I ended up sitting inside my cabin and enjoying the view from inside rather than go outside. I have had other balconies since. If you ever travel to Alaska, you have to have a balcony. You really do see whales and hear the boom of glaciers calving. The best balcony I ever had was on the Navigator of the Seas. I had one of those huge corner aft balconies. The weather was perfect for November and I spent a great deal of time out there. If you have small children who need to take naps, balconies allow you to enjoy the ocean while they nap. When my grandchildren were younger, I often took advantage of that.

I don't always get balconies, though. More often, I get an outside cabin with either a window or a porthole. A few times I have gotten an inside, and these are my least favorite. With no windows, you feel like you are in a closet. The one exception to this would be a studio cabin on the Norwegian Epic. I plan to get another one on the new Breakaway next year.

Mine is a DON'T. (and not a nice one)

Don't trust the sliding doors not to swing shut in big seas. We were doing a cabin crawl one day in rough seas. A lady walked out onto the deck and had her hand balancing her on the (open side) of the door jam. As she pivoted around to get her balance we hit a big swell and the door flew shut getting her hand. - partial amputation with broken bones and surgery!!!!!

Hate to think what would have happened to a kid!

Horrid. She has recovered - but there are 20 o us who are now very wary of cabin doors.

Otherwise balconies are brilliant. I dont spend hours on it but do pop out on many occasions - especially when entering and leaving Port.

Raina

Once we stayed in a balcony stateroom, we have not been able to go back...

I normally get a wine package. I will open a bottle of wine at dinner and then take fresh glasses and the bottle back to my stateroom. The next afternoon DH and I will order a cheese plate from room service and enjoy wine and cheese on our balcony together. If you like wine and cheese this is a must!!!

That's a BIG don't to me, ... DON"T peek around to your neighbors balcony.

It's very rude!!!

Actually I had to once I heard a knock on the door and thought it was ours went to door and the lady said my sister must be on balcony and I lost my seapass left in room could u go tell her to let me in I said sure as I was walking to our balcony I told my wife about it and laughed that I hope her sister is not sleeping sure enough she was I leaned over and was like excuse me she didn't hear me so I said a little louder this time she woke up and about fell out of her chair I had scared her to death lol.....but once I told her that her sister was locked out and knocking on the door and she could not hear it the laughed. The next day I saw them in hall and she laughed and said u have no idea how bad u scared me. Thought I would share this story.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors

Archived