Pre cruise land suggestions

mdwfolsom1

We are taking a cruise out of Whittier on August 21st, but flying to Anchorage on the 17th to do a little DYI sightseeing first. I keep going back and forth on where to go considering our time. I think Denali is a must do, but I'm not sure if we should just go to Talkeetna or Kenai. Kenai seems like a lot of driving, but maybe it's worth it. I thought we would rent a car and drive to Denali first and spend two nights there....then what. We love wildlife, so that is a focus for us.

Given the large distances in Alaska and only 3 days, your options are quite limited. When does your flight arrive on the 17th and where are you flying from? If you arrive early enough, perhaps you could pick up the car and drive 2-3 hrs to get a head start on your trip.

When you say KENAI, I assume you mean the Kenai Peninsula, not the town. Did you want to visit Seward ? and if so, what did you want to see and do there?

Who is 'we' ? kids, active adults. A little more info please.

We arrive in Anchorage at about 2:30pm from Sacramento so we can drive somewhere that day. Yes I am thinking Kenai Peninsula or even Seward. When I say "we" it's my wife and I, both in our 50's. We love wildlife and scenery, but my wife has some health issue so we can't do any major hiking. Things like river floats and short hikes.

You don't have time for Seward if Denali is your priority. Keep in mind that Denali is 6 hrs north of Anc and Seward is 2 1/2 hrs south. It would be a 9 hr drive from Denali to Seward and that's with no stops for scenery or wildlife. Then you'd have to leave by noon the next day to drive to Whittier.

Denali is definitely the jackpot for wildlife viewing and scenery, and the shuttle is such a bargain. Good time for viewing moose too because of rutting season.

A couple of things to consider as you think about an itinerary. You can get a one-way car rental and drop it off in Whittier prior to your cruise. This would give you most of the 21st to play. OR, you could get a cheaper RT rental and return the car on the 20th, overnight in Anc and take the train or transfer to Whittier. Another thought, many people take a Prince William Sound cruise prior to boarding their ship. Those tours leave around 12:30 and the trains from Anc meet that departure.

8/17 pick up car. Drive to Talkeetna 2 1/2 hrs, overnight.

8/18 finish drive to Denali, 2 1/2 hrs. Watch the free sled dog race at 11, 2 or 4, and check out exhibits around the entrance area. Maybe drive out to the Savage River trailhead at Mile 15, which is as far as private cars can go. Moose can be spotted in the flats around Mile 10ish. The trail is pretty easy and short.

8/19 shuttle to Wonder Lake or to Eielson Visitor Center.

On 8/20 there are several options to consider, depending on whether or not you're returning a car that night or keeping it until Whittier. And how much driving you want to do.

- stop into Talkeetna again and do a float trip.

- drive to Palmer 1 hr north of Anc for a jet boat tour at Knik Glacier, stop by the Visitor Center to see the enormous vegetables and flowers, visit Independence Mine. http://www.palmermuseum.org/visit-us/ Overnight Palmer or Anchorage

- drive to Girdwood, 1 hr south of Anc. Lots to see and do .. gold panning, birding along Potters Marsh, Wildlife Conservation Center, Beggich Boggs Visitor Center, hikes, Portage Glacier cruise $29. Suggested stops: http://alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-spur-drive.htm

Overnight in Girdwood. Spend most of the next day exploring as well, then drive to Whittier late afternoon and drop off the car.

- drive to Anchorage and rent bikes to drive along the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Might see moose.

OR you could skip Denali and focus on Seward. Overnight in Girdwood for your first night, then drive to Seward, take a Kenai cruise, visit Exit Glacier and the SeaLife Center, go kayaking, hang out at the harbor.

Check out some scenic drives on this link. Maybe something will be of interest to you. http://alaska.org/driving/magnificent-drives.htm

Borrow a good Alaska travel book from your library to help with your planning. Have a great trip!

Archived