Open water dives on Mariner of the Seas to finish up certification this March 2013

Vettediva

We are getting ready to take our scuba classes here at home, do the confined water training, and then do our "referral" open water dives thru RCCL on Mariner of the Seas this March, 2013. When I looked on the Royal Caribbean website, it just says to register onboard. We are spending quite a bit of money prior to getting on the ship in order to be able to do those dives on board and I'm not real comfortable just waiting till we get on the ship to then find out they are possibly all booked up for the week. I sent an email a few days ago, but still have not heard anything. Just by chance, have you been on Mariner of the Seas? Do you know of a contact method for the dive shop on that ship? Has anyone done this where you do your initial stuff at home and then do the referral dives thru the cruiseline? Did you wait until you got on the ship to schedule them? Thanks for your help!! Does anyone have an email address or contact method to communicate directly with the dive shop on Mariner of the Seas? Gail

To make you feel better, you can always do the check out dives locally. I'd do them before your trip, so you can dive in the ports as certified divers. But even if you are planning to do them on the ship and can't for whatever reason (not only scheduling- what if you have ear trouble, ect) you can always go home and do them.

If you are having trouble getting a reply from the Mariner, your local PADI dive shop should be able to give you referrals to several PADI shops in the ports yiu are visiting. Then you can contact those dive shops directly and set up your certification dives. You usually pay when you arrive, so no risk if plans change due to weather.

Good luck with your certification!

PS. We usually do our excursions directly with the local operators. Saves money vs. cruise line pricing and usually better quality.

If you are having trouble getting a reply from the Mariner, your local PADI dive shop should be able to give you referrals to several PADI shops in the ports yiu are visiting. Then you can contact those dive shops directly and set up your certification dives. You usually pay when you arrive, so no risk if plans change due to weather.

Good luck with your certification!

PS. We usually do our excursions directly with the local operators. Saves money vs. cruise line pricing and usually better quality.

They are going to need 4 dives over a span of 2 days to finish Open Water Certification, so it can't be done when the ship is in port for only one day. Unless you do a B2B and the ship visits the same port twice.

They are going to need 4 dives over a span of 2 days to finish Open Water Certification, so it can't be done when the ship is in port for only one day. Unless you do a B2B and the ship visits the same port twice.

Agree, but the 4 dives don't have to be done in the same port or with the same shop. I assume the OP will be visiting more than one port and they all have shops that can do the certification.

If you give us your ports, we can probably make suggestions for good local operators.

However, I would stongly recommend that you do your complete Open Water certification BEFORE you leave home if it is at all possible. That way, you will spend your time actually diving, not doing skills.

Also, please remember that this is the Scuba Diver certification, NOT the Open Water certification. You will not be eligible to participate in most diving trips until you complete the Open Water level.

Here is a recent thread on this very subject: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1763702

Welcome to the underwater addiction!

Wendy

We are getting ready to take our scuba classes here at home, do the confined water training, and then do our "referral" open water dives thru RCCL on Mariner of the Seas this March, 2013. When I looked on the Royal Caribbean website, it just says to register onboard. We are spending quite a bit of money prior to getting on the ship in order to be able to do those dives on board and I'm not real comfortable just waiting till we get on the ship to then find out they are possibly all booked up for the week. I sent an email a few days ago, but still have not heard anything. Just by chance, have you been on Mariner of the Seas? Do you know of a contact method for the dive shop on that ship? Has anyone done this where you do your initial stuff at home and then do the referral dives thru the cruiseline? Did you wait until you got on the ship to schedule them? Thanks for your help!! Does anyone have an email address or contact method to communicate directly with the dive shop on Mariner of the Seas? Gail

It should not be a problem. I say that because I got my scuba diver certification with RCCL. The first time we only did book, video and the pool dive. When we got to Grand Cayman the waves were up to 30 feet and the rest was canceled. Next cruise they let me just do the sea dives as I brought all my prior paperwork with me.

When in March will you be on the Mariner? I will be on her Feb 24 - Mar 3 and Mar 3 - Mar 10. I am getting my advanced scuba diver certification in Cozumel. I am doing all the written through PADI and I found a wonderful and well recommended dive shop that is willing to do the dive portion of all 5 classes over 2 days. Donna at Aqua Safari has been emailing with me for 5 months. She is a terrific lady. If you are interested in finishing with them instead you can go to their web site.

Let me know if we are sailing at the same time!

Archived