Lisbon -- Jeep Tour?

We are doing a transatlantic on RCI Freedom of the Seas in April, and I'm just starting to plan our port days. I'm totally intrigued by the 4WD Jeep tour to the Sintra Mountain range.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/shoreExcursions/product/detail/view.do?sourcePage=cruiseDetails&packageCode=LB12T027&date=&selectedCurrencyCode=&ProductCode=LS10&DestinationCode=

Has anyone done this or a similar tour? We don't normally book ship excursions, preferring to ramble around port on our own, but this tour looks pretty cool! Was it fun? Was the price right for the tour content? Did you feel like you were being herded like on a larger tour, or was the smaller groups (limited because of the Jeep's seating) a bonus? What was the sightseeing like in Sintra? Would you recommend it? Would you do it again?

Thanks!!!!

-Liz

• 2 months later...
Or, I just found this....

http://www.wehatetourismtours.com/lisbon-tours/ship-boat-tours-lisbon

Has anyone done a tour with these guys? Or done this tour?

Hi LizP,

I am going on the LOS TA also and am looking at Wehatetourismtours. Did you find out any more about them?

Cute dresses BTW. I have to pack light as I will be hauling by luggage across Europe for over a week after the cruise. My dresses will have to stay home.

We used We Hate Tourism Tours last year. We were staying in Lisbon for four days before our cruise left. We took the Sintra tour, which was a minivan and there were 4 other people besides the two of us. The driver was funny and informative. We got to Sintra and stopped at a cute little place where we could buy a breakfast pastry, coffee, water, juice... Then he said he'd meet us up the hill in the square. If no one wanted anything, they were welcome to ride in the van up the hill. We got a coffee and walked up the hill...no more than 5-7 minutes and we're not fast walkers. He showed us where to meet him and then we were free to walk around for 10-15 minutes. Sintra is very hilly and many of the narrow streets have no sidewalks, so you're walking in a traffic lane sometimes. After that stop, he took us up the hill further to one of the "castles". Can't remember if we had to pay an entrance fee, but it was maybe 2 or 3 Euros per person. The driver/guide told us what not to miss, and left us for maybe 1-1/2 hours to explore on our own. There was a huge park with many interesting items, as well as the huge house. The park was all uphill, too. After this fun and enjoyable visit, he drove around Sintra so we could see other beautiful "castles" from outside (simply beautiful) then we headed back towards Lisbon. Stopped at the Westernmost point on the European Continent and had lunch, which the driver brought...lovely salamis, cheeses, chips, bread, wine. Got to know our fellow travellers, who were thoroughly delightful. Then we went to Estoril, stopped, were able to wander around on our own for half an hour, then we stopped at Belem to look at the monuments and finally stopped at the fabulous, famous pastry shop to have a Belem pastry. There was a line, but as he knows the owners, he was able to get a bag of pastries and gave one to each of us. Delicious. He dropped us off at Rossio, the square where started out from. The driver answered all our questions and even played some Faldo music so we could hear what it was. Some of it wasn't bad at all.

I would certainly take another tour with them...it was a fun way to see part of Portugal I wouldn't have seen otherwise. The booking was easy and I paid via PayPal, so they charged the Euro equivalent in US $, so no exchange rate fee on the credit card.

Archived