The Brilliant Reflection - A Review of 1-12-2013 Sailing with Photos (Very Long)

librarylady19

Thanks for a great review with a ton of information Sandi! We'll be doing our first cruise on Reflection (and on Celebrity) next month and are really looking forward to it.

I have a question for you about the evening shows. About how long do they run? I'm trying to figure out the best time for specialty dining reservations and how that would fit in between early or late show times. We generally prefer to eat later rather than earlier, especially on vacation.

Evening shows are an hour, approximately, so you really wouldn't have time to eat between shows. You would need to decide whether to eat before or after the show. We liked to eat after 8:00 pm ourselves so whether we went to a show before or after dinner would depend on the show schedule that night.

Only place where you really want to eat early is Qsine.

Fantastic review and the fabric cube suggestion (and follow up suggestions) are worth their weight in gold.

Do you happen to know if Evika (the very animated blonde from Macedonia who made our two nights at Qsine such a delight during our Alaskan cruise on Millenium last summer) has now brought her energy to Reflection's Qsine? If so, it's worth going to Qsine just to have the pleasure of her assistance in successfully navigating the menu and maximizing the Qsine experience!

We've booked Qsine for the first night and hope she's there to greet us!

Does anyone happen to know Evika's last name. I met her on Silhouette last year and lost contact. Is Arthur also, on Reflection, in QSine.

This is a brilliant set of facts and presented very well. I would love to know the program they used so I can do the same when we return from our cruise on the Reflection.

Here is the link to the Menu's in the MDR

http://www.sjajg.com/travel/cruise2012B/Summit_2012_Bermuda/Summit_Bermuda_2012.html

Now after seeing the menu's, I plan on purchasing the Ultimate Dining Package.

Thanks for the link for the MDR menu. We sailed last on the Summit in September. This menu is not the same. So, I am wondering how often they might change the menu.

On the Reflection in March we are AQ so will eat in Blu. But on the Eclipse in March we will be in MDR or specialty restaurants. I like the menu that you posted. There seems to be a good variety to choose from. Also, I like the fact that they are identifying the gluten free, sugar free, etc. on the menu. I don't remember that at all.

GiGiAnn

Do you have a Walmart up there? If so, try there for the Downy product.

If all else fails, google the product and see what stores in your area carry it.

GiGiAnn

In preparation for my month long trip last November, I acquired a small hand held garment steamer made by Rowenta. I don't recall the model number, but it was quite small and lightweight and packed easily amongst my clothes in the checked backage. It was approximagely $30 USD. It worked like a charm and it isn't on the "naughty list" of banned items.

Walter

librarylady19,

Many thanks for your efforts to document your trip. I have been on several Celebrity ship cruises, but this will be my first Solstice class ship. It has truly prepared me for things to think about and do while on board and I look forward to the experience during the November westbound TA that I will be on. I'm staying in an Aqua Class Suite and Blu is definitely a highlight for my many sea days for breakfast and dinner. :)

Walter

Evening shows are an hour, approximately, so you really wouldn't have time to eat between shows. You would need to decide whether to eat before or after the show. We liked to eat after 8:00 pm ourselves so whether we went to a show before or after dinner would depend on the show schedule that night.

Only place where you really want to eat early is Qsine.

Perfect - thanks for the info. We want to book some specialty restaurants before we depart so this is a big help.

In preparation for my month long trip last November, I acquired a small hand held garment steamer made by Rowenta. I don't recall the model number, but it was quite small and lightweight and packed easily amongst my clothes in the checked backage. It was approximagely $30 USD. It worked like a charm and it isn't on the "naughty list" of banned items.

Walter

thank You Walter for helpful information, I will look for that also :)

librarylady19,

Many thanks for your efforts to document your trip. I have been on several Celebrity ship cruises, but this will be my first Solstice class ship. It has truly prepared me for things to think about and do while on board and I look forward to the experience during the November westbound TA that I will be on. I'm staying in an Aqua Class Suite and Blu is definitely a highlight for my many sea days for breakfast and dinner. :)

Walter

hi Walter,

Thanks! Be prepared to be wowed! As nice as the M class ships are, they are not a match for the imaginative decor, variety of dining and drinking venues on the S class ships IMO. I absolutely love Blu - it's my definition of modern luxury for sure!!

I had the chance to see a nearby Aqua Class suite on our cabin crawl and it was lovely. Are you on deck 12?

Edited by librarylady19

Library lady:

What a wonderful, detailed comprehensive review! Thank you for the vicarious experience as I am freezing in the Northeast.

Appreciate that!! I feel throwing - we have had a very mild winter (so far) in Chicago but I know what you are going through. Stay safe and warm.

hi Walter,

Thanks! Be prepared to be wowed! As nice as the M class ships are, they are not a match for the imaginative decor, variety of dining and drinking venues on the S class ships IMO.

I had the chance to see a nearby Aqua Class suite on our cabin crawl and it was lovely. Are you on deck 12?

Yes, I believe it's deck 12. We're booked in 2158. I'm planning for the premium beverage package. Also, suite bookings come with complimentary passes to 2 specialty restaurants. I plan to book additional specialty dining so we can try all the restaurants. I'm also very excited for both the Molecular Bar and Martini Bar.

Walter

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Yes, I believe it's deck 12. We're booked in 2158. I'm planning for the premium beverage package. Also, suite bookings come with complimentary passes to 2 specialty restaurants. I plan to book additional specialty dining so we can try all the restaurants. I'm also very excited for both the Molecular Bar and Martini Bar.

Walter

That's a great location - so convenient to the central elevators, pool, aqua spa cafe, etc.

you might find you like Blu so much that you don't need to try all the specialties. For my money, Qsine is a must, at least once, Tuscan Grille and LCG were good but not great....wish we had tried Murano but didn't care for the new menu when we are at Normandie so gave it a pass last time...definitely will go next cruise.

I have only been on Carnival to the Western Carribean (oh & a short weekend "Dolphin" cruise to the Bahamas--Dolphin doesn't exist anymore) and I know Carnival is cheap but our bathroom was much bigger--as was our room--we had a separate tub & separate shower--I hate the bathrooms where the whole bathroom gets wet when you take a shower--we had a dressing room before the bath as well. We had a huge balcony too. We did have our daughter with us so we had a couch & a pull out bed from the wall--which was high up over the couch.

I have only been on Carnival to the Western Carribean (oh & a short weekend "Dolphin" cruise to the Bahamas--Dolphin doesn't exist anymore) and I know Carnival is cheap but our bathroom was much bigger--as was our room--we had a separate tub & separate shower--I hate the bathrooms where the whole bathroom gets wet when you take a shower--we had a dressing room before the bath as well. We had a huge balcony too. We did have our daughter with us so we had a couch & a pull out bed from the wall--which was high up over the couch.

I don't know what Carnival ship you were on but the room layout you describe is not the standard room type. It sounds like you were in a Grand Suite and as far as I'm concerned, your money is better spent on Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, or Celebrity any day.

library lady, thanks so very much for your incredible review! question for you regarding the art center ~ did you sign up ahead of time for the classes you went to, or did you just show up the day of? and what kind of classes did they offer? my dm and i will be on reflection in april (transatlantic to rome) and the art center sounds like something we'd like to investigate. any info you can share would be much appreciated. thanks again!

library lady, thanks so very much for your incredible review! question for you regarding the art center ~ did you sign up ahead of time for the classes you went to, or did you just show up the day of? and what kind of classes did they offer? my dm and i will be on reflection in april (transatlantic to rome) and the art center sounds like something we'd like to investigate. any info you can share would be much appreciated. thanks again!

I signed up in advance. I had read on CC that classes fill quickly so I went there on embarkation day. They started taking sign ups at 4:30 pm that day. They had a list of classes, dates and times offered, and samples of some of the projects. I'm not particularly artsy, so skipped the watercolor and stamping sessions and tried the bracelet making. You could also make a resin ring but I passed on that one.

The Celebrity Today dailies have the specific art classes listed (I have them listed on this thread) but I wouldn't wait till the day before to sign up as space is limited. The art studio wouldn't hold more than a dozen.

I'd also recommend the art tour led by Faith, one of the art teachers, it was very interesting.

Edited by librarylady19

I signed up in advance. I had read on CC that classes fill quickly so I went there on embarkation day. They started taking sign ups at 4:30 pm that day. They had a list of classes, dates and times offered, and samples of some of the projects. I'm not particularly artsy, so skipped the watercolor and stamping sessions and tried the bracelet making. You could also make a resin ring but I passed on that one.

The Celebrity Today dailies have the specific art classes listed (I have them listed on this thread) but I wouldn't wait till the day before to sign up as space is limited. The art studio wouldn't hold more than a dozen.

I'd also recommend the art tour led by Faith, one of the art teachers, it was very interesting.

My DH is very interested in the water color classes on the Reflection this March.

He was able to attend those on the Infinity. I can't remember where it was held, but there were at least 20-25 people in attendance.

Where do you go to sign up for them? I would not want him to miss them.

GiGiAnn

My DH is very interested in the water color classes on the Reflection this March.

He was able to attend those on the Infinity. I can't remember where it was held, but there were at least 20-25 people in attendance.

GiGiAnn

what is DH? dear husband? lol

GiGiAnn

The classes were held in the Art Studio (that's where I went for the jewelry classes) so there is no way it could accommodate 20 or more. Sign up on first day as I mentioned.

Classes were held on sea days - check the dailies I posted for details.

P1010328_zps47915720.jpg

Edited by librarylady19

The classes were held in the Art Studio (that's where I went for the jewelry classes) so there is no way it could accommodate 20 or more. Sign up on first day as I mentioned.

Classes were held on sea days - check the dailies I posted for details.

P1010328_zps47915720.jpg

Thanks Sandi. Wow, that's small if everyone just sits around the table.

No Art Studio on the Infinity. They used a very large room.

GiGiAnn

We found the storage to be adequate for us for a 7 day cruise. I did bring a hanging shoe bag (a lifesaver!) and lots of hangers. The pull down bar in the closet was helpful for hanging shorter items.

001323534a9c324c940877a690520211.jpg

The cabin had a deep, angled balcony with a large overhang (from the pool deck above).

P1010234_zps367dc4aa.jpg

P1010235_zps81c4ba57.jpg

There was a view forward but aft views were blocked by the hump.

P1010236_zps811a3356.jpg

As I noted in my cabin report, there definitely was noise in the early mornings (6:00 a.m. or thereabouts) when chairs were being moved and occasional thudding from joggers but the balcony size and convenient location more than made up for those "issues."

After meeting our cabin steward Desmond from India and asking him for cheese plate in lieu of afternoon canapes, it was off to explore a little more before Muster Drill at 3:30 p.m.

I'm still having issues with Photobucket:( Just discovered that any "organizing of photos" results in a lost link....

Reposting missing photos....sorry for the confusion.

985723adb5888d7c9b8af3d7a90b3252.jpg

Edited by librarylady19