Falmouth info

luv2travel13

I am leaving on my first cruise this weekend. We will be stopping in Falmouth and I have a few questions:

If I decide not to do a ship excursion - can I get off & on the ship as I please? I would not mind getting off and browsing the port area for an hour or so, then getting back on board. Is that possible?

Are there any internet cafes or free WiFI spots?

Is there a local beach that I can just go to on my own and hang out for awhile?

Any tips/advice you can give me would be great! TIA! :)

Were there in March of 2012. You definitely can get off the ship whenever you want to. The port area (inside the gates/fences) is very new and very nice and safe feeling. Browsing, shopping, or just sitting and people watching would be no problem.

Can't really answer any of the other questions. We did the Chukka Beach Break excursion through the ship. I have seen other posts about taxis, mainly be sure it is a JUTA taxi, but I don't really think I would do that on my own without being very secure in knowing the area and such. From what I've read, vendors and others outside of the secure port can be very pushy and demanding.

I am leaving on my first cruise this weekend. We will be stopping in Falmouth and I have a few questions:

If I decide not to do a ship excursion - can I get off & on the ship as I please? I would not mind getting off and browsing the port area for an hour or so, then getting back on board. Is that possible?

1: Yes

2: You can buy WiFi access in the port for about $10. If you're willing to walk into town, Club Nazz has free WiFi.

3: There aren't any public beaches nearby. There are excursions to a couple of beaches available through vendors in the port (see http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1754906 and http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1379430 ) or you can get a day pass to a local resort.

My husband is in a manual wheelchair. We would like to go to Nazz's but don't know how far it is from the pier. Is it a mile, 2 miles, more, less? Can we do this on foot and chair or should we get a taxi!

It's less than a 1000ft walk from the exit of the port to Club Nazz. That said, it's about the same distance from the ship to the port exit. I don't know how wheelchair accessible the route is.

We were there just after Xmas. When you exit the port area and get into town it is rather run down, and there are locals loitering around everywhere, many asking if you want the usual offerings, and the vendor area is quite a qauntlet. If you want to do something in town you would feel safest with one of the many tourism reps, they are all over. They are mostly women in uniforms with dark pants and white shirts, caps, with tourism badges. They are very helpful, and will go with you to your location for free. When they are with you no one bugs you. Ours found us a great fabrics store with way low prices, and the Nazz cafe for the net. We tipped her a few bucks and she was very grateful.

You don't need to purchase anything to use the net at the Nazz, there is a room with about 6 computers (if you don't have your own) and the rate is very low, a buck or 2 for perhaps half an hour. There was a restroom nearby, no paper, bring your own.

Cab from pier to MoBay is $120 return, and the bus at the same spot on the pier is I think $20 pp return. The buses only leave in the morning, not after about 1:30pm. If you want to go after lunch, the best deal is to ask a pier cabbie if he will meet you outside the pier by the gas station, and then the price is half ($60 return). They can lose their pier access license for doing that, so the deal has to be made discretely, no one watching. They will only do that in the afternoon when fares are hard to get, not so many ppl leaving for rides.

Someone posted a very good map of Falmouth not long ago, should be easy to find here.

Good luck!

-Bob

Archived