Wonderful Copenhagen

Has anyone had the experience of climbing up the spire at the Church of our Saviour? How long would the climb be for an average (fitness-wise) person? :P

They close the entrance 15 minutes before they are closing if that gives you any clue.

I have never been there but i would assume 5-10 minutes.

Hi Danish Viking,

I finally made my way through this entire thread and I really appreciate all your tips and advice! I’ve come up with a plan (based on your suggestions) for our stay in Copenhagen before and after our cruise, and I was wondering if I can run it by you to make sure I got my public transportation right.

I’m arriving in Copenhagen on Thursday, June 20. Since my husband would already be in Sweden for his business trip, I will be taking a train (Train 1005) myself to meet him in Malmo directly from the CPH airport (86 DKK). We’ll stay in Malmo for the night and returning to Copenhagen the next afternoon to board our cruise. I’m guessing my husband and I could purchase an Øresund Familie ticket at Malmo C (SEK equivalent of 142 DKK) and get off at Österport. Walk over to Ørport bus stop, and take Bus 26 (24 DKK each) to Stubbeløbsgade. Can we buy tickets from the driver?

We disembark at Copenhagen on Sunday, June 30, which unfortunately means Bus 26 will not be running. So instead, we have to walk over to Nordhavn St., and take Train A or B to Vesterport, and then take Bus 9A or 5A towards the hotel. I presume this will only take one ticket (24 DKK each)? I still have to plan our day at Copenhagen, but our flight is not until 3pm on Monday. We are debating about buying a 24-hr City Pass (75 DKK), because we really only have 1.5 days in Copenhagen so a 48-hr one seems to be a waste. In order to be able to use the City Pass for our ride to the airport, we can’t activate it until say 12pm on the Sunday. That being said, our ride from the cruise terminal to the hotel will probably just be paid in cash. Do you know if we can buy the City Pass at Nordhvn Station? If not, I could pick up two at the airport when I land on Thursday. But can I keep the City Pass and not activate it until Sunday? There is a chance we won’t need the City Pass if we’re only taking the metro/bus from cruise terminal to hotel and from hotel to airport (total of only 60 DKK) so we’re considering it now. Any thoughts?

So you are departing by ship on a Friday because if its a weekend you can´t use the bus.

I don´t think that you can´t buy the Øresund Familie ticket in Sweden but just buy them at the airport.

The ticket is also valid in the bus so you don´t to buy the 24 DKK 2 zone ticket.

On the return trip you just buy the City Pass at 7-Eleven at Nordhavn station.

Its better to pay the first trip in cash because its 24 DKK but a single ticket to the airport is 36 DKK.

Yes, our cruise leaves on Friday.

So I can pre-buy the Øresund Familie ticket at the CPH airport on Thursday, and use it for the trip from Malmo back to Copenhagen on Friday?

So you are departing by ship on a Friday because if its a weekend you can´t use the bus.

I don´t think that you can´t buy the Øresund Familie ticket in Sweden but just buy them at the airport.

The ticket is also valid in the bus so you don´t to buy the 24 DKK 2 zone ticket.

On the return trip you just buy the City Pass at 7-Eleven at Nordhavn station.

Its better to pay the first trip in cash because its 24 DKK but a single ticket to the airport is 36 DKK.

Hi Danish Viking,

I have been looking thru these threads trying to find directions to our hotel, I thought they had been posted, but can't locate them. We arrive at CPH on a Wednesday afternoon, 6/19 and are staying at the Hotel Kong Arthur. I seem to remember it is the Norreport stop we want on the Metro. Is there a certain exit out of the station we need to take to be closer to our hotel? Also, our flight back home is Sunday 6/30 at 2:00. Is it easy to take the train/metro to the airport from the Freeport cruise port? Also, we would like to purchase a few bottles of wine for the cruise, any suggestions? Thank you.

Hi Danish King, we are finalizing our plans and now that all transportation and asightseeing is under control we are moving on to eating :) We are on a budget, but good still like to be able to enjoy some Danish food. We reallywould like some good open faced sandwich. Do you know where we could have one? We would also like to try some of the famous hot dogs and some ice cream. Where should we go for some good pastries? It would be great if the places are located in the city center. We are staying at the Marriott.

Thank you so much for all you advise!

Yes, our cruise leaves on Friday.

So I can pre-buy the Øresund Familie ticket at the CPH airport on Thursday, and use it for the trip from Malmo back to Copenhagen on Friday?

Yes just remember to tell that the return is on another day.

Hi Danish Viking,

I have been looking thru these threads trying to find directions to our hotel, I thought they had been posted, but can't locate them. We arrive at CPH on a Wednesday afternoon, 6/19 and are staying at the Hotel Kong Arthur. I seem to remember it is the Norreport stop we want on the Metro. Is there a certain exit out of the station we need to take to be closer to our hotel? Also, our flight back home is Sunday 6/30 at 2:00. Is it easy to take the train/metro to the airport from the Freeport cruise port? Also, we would like to purchase a few bottles of wine for the cruise, any suggestions? Thank you.

Just use the exit opposite the S-trains and train platforms.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=N%C3%B8rreport+st+(Metro),+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Hotel+Kong+Arthur,+N%C3%B8rre+S%C3%B8gade+11,+1370+K%C3%B8benhavn+K&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.68425,12.568756&spn=0.003683,0.009645&sll=55.684976,12.567619&sspn=0.003683,0.009645&geocode=FQOrUQMdpNG_AClXzM49BVNSRjFi4JGa94w4lw%3BFZCuUQMdabm_ACkJhBl4BlNSRjGZdGMkOwQtYQ&oq=n%C3%B8rreport&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

If you dare to walk a little you can walk from the Freeport Terminal to Nordhavn Station.

From here you take the train one stop to Østerport where you catch the airport train instead.

A good place to buy wine is at Irma.

Irma Frederiksborggade

FREDERIKSBORGGADE 34 - 36

1360 KØBENHAVN K

Irma Nørreport

NØRRE VOLDGADE 78

1358 KØBENHAVN K

You are so nice to take time from you busy schedule to ask our many questions. We arriving on Thursday and staying at the Clarion Mayfair. What train do we take to our hotel? Thank you, thank you!!!

Just take any train leaving from track 2, all trains stops at København H (central station).

Hi Danish King, we are finalizing our plans and now that all transportation and asightseeing is under control we are moving on to eating :) We are on a budget, but good still like to be able to enjoy some Danish food. We reallywould like some good open faced sandwich. Do you know where we could have one? We would also like to try some of the famous hot dogs and some ice cream. Where should we go for some good pastries? It would be great if the places are located in the city center. We are staying at the Marriott.

Thank you so much for all you advise!

For open faced sandwiches visit Ida Davidsen

http://www.idadavidsen.dk/en-gb/cms/Welcome

For ice cream´s there are many ice cream shops located along Strøget, including Ben and jerry´s among others.

But my favourite is this one at Nyhavn.

http://www.vaffelbageren.dk/waffle_baker.html

My favourite hot dog stand is the organic one located at Rundetaarn ( The Round Tower).

My favourite hot dog stand is the organic one located at Rundetaarn ( The Round Tower).

I will have to look for the hot dog stand. My husband loves hot dogs. I have no strong feelings either way.

As for Ida Davidsen, we are heading there and after reading Trip Advisor, you should look into making a reservation on the website. I read it gets packed and hard to get into.

Just use the exit opposite the S-trains and train platforms.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=N%C3%B8rreport+st+(Metro),+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Hotel+Kong+Arthur,+N%C3%B8rre+S%C3%B8gade+11,+1370+K%C3%B8benhavn+K&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.68425,12.568756&spn=0.003683,0.009645&sll=55.684976,12.567619&sspn=0.003683,0.009645&geocode=FQOrUQMdpNG_AClXzM49BVNSRjFi4JGa94w4lw%3BFZCuUQMdabm_ACkJhBl4BlNSRjGZdGMkOwQtYQ&oq=n%C3%B8rreport&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=ls&z=17

If you dare to walk a little you can walk from the Freeport Terminal to Nordhavn Station.

From here you take the train one stop to Østerport where you catch the airport train instead.

A good place to buy wine is at Irma.

Irma Frederiksborggade

FREDERIKSBORGGADE 34 - 36

1360 KØBENHAVN K

Irma Nørreport

NØRRE VOLDGADE 78

1358 KØBENHAVN K

Excellent, thank you so much, we walk when ever we can so will try that.

I used the first link on Page 1 of this thread to find transportation from the airport to Best Western Hotel City. The result told me to take M2 to Kongens Nytorv.

Is the M2 a bus? If so, does it have a compartment underneath for luggage? Does it make other stops before Kongens Nytrov. If so, is there a sign to indicate each stop. I don't know what "Kongens Nytrov" sounds like when it is spoken, but I can recognize it when it is written.

We'll have to walk the last 3 blocks to the hotel. That would not be difficult except that we'll each be dragging a 50 lb. suitcase. I'm mostly wondering if the cobblestones would dammage the wheels on the suitcase. Will someone who has done this please tell me your experience.

I used the first link on Page 1 of this thread to find transportation from the airport to Best Western Hotel City. The result told me to take M2 to Kongens Nytorv.

Is the M2 a bus? If so, does it have a compartment underneath for luggage? Does it make other stops before Kongens Nytrov. If so, is there a sign to indicate each stop. I don't know what "Kongens Nytrov" sounds like when it is spoken, but I can recognize it when it is written.

We'll have to walk the last 3 blocks to the hotel. That would not be difficult except that we'll each be dragging a 50 lb. suitcase. I'm mostly wondering if the cobblestones would dammage the wheels on the suitcase. Will someone who has done this please tell me your experience.

M2 is a metro train which we took from the airport to the Kongens Nytrov station three weeks ago. It runs every 2 minutes and from the airport and it's a 8 stops ride to the Kongens Nytrov station. It does not have compartment underneath it only has flip chairs so if you need to sit down then you flip down the chair. The metro does not make annoucement about the next stop so you have to look at the electronic display above for your stop. There's also a metro map inside the train showing each stop but the print is kind of small.

We wheeled our luggage from the Kongens Nytrov station through some of the cobblestones to our Hotel Bethel with no damage to our luggage.

Edited by cruise_alot123

Mmmm... ice cream. We'll definitely make a stop for that! :)

Danish Viking, I do have another question for you. If I were to purchase a single return ticket from CPH airport to Malmo C and back (not the family ticket), will I still be able to use the same ticket for bus 26 to get to the Freeport Terminal?

Also do you know if there is another train that goes directly to Lund? Or is it the same train as Malmo, just a further stop?

For ice cream´s there are many ice cream shops located along Strøget, including Ben and jerry´s among others.

But my favourite is this one at Nyhavn.

http://www.vaffelbageren.dk/waffle_baker.html

Thanks, cruise alot. Sounds fairly easy to do.

Super ez to do. One more note that I'd like to add when you come out of the airport at the T 3 terminal, you can buy the metro tickets at the metro self serve or the ticket booth. The cost is 33 DKK for each ticket to kongens nytorv and no need to validate the ticket before you board. They both accept credit cards. The metro train is located upstairs so after you've purchased your tickets then walk straight like heading north in the state and pass the ticket booth, take the elevator up and the metro train is right there on your left side as you exit the elevator.

Also, there's an American express currency exchange ATM at T 3 where I used to withdrew cash and I got a pretty good rate after I checked my statement when I got home.

Edited by cruise_alot123

Mmmm... ice cream. We'll definitely make a stop for that! :)

Danish Viking, I do have another question for you. If I were to purchase a single return ticket from CPH airport to Malmo C and back (not the family ticket), will I still be able to use the same ticket for bus 26 to get to the Freeport Terminal?

Also do you know if there is another train that goes directly to Lund? Or is it the same train as Malmo, just a further stop?

All tickets are transferable between the different kind of trains, the metro, busses and the water bus as long as you ticket are valid in the zone you are travelling in.

So to be sure the ticket from Malmö should have Østerport as the final destination.

Almost every Øresund train continues further away than Malmö and Lund is the next station on the line.

Destinations should read Göteborg, Kalmar, Kristanstad, Alvesta or Hässleholm and probably other destinations also.

The Intercity train for Ystad (and ferry to Bornholm) is bypassing Malmö and Lund entirely so avoid that train but it only goes every second hour or something.

Edited by Danish viking

where, near tivoli, if you please. for a snack, a nice taste, how much should we expect to pay for two persons? thx in advance. great help you have rendered to past posters. cheers!

That is very difficult to say but with something to drink I would say that a starting price of 50 DKK is not entirely wrong but prepare to pay upwards to 100 DKK.

That is very difficult to say but with something to drink I would say that a starting price of 50 DKK is not entirely wrong but prepare to pay upwards to 100 DKK.

is that 50-100 dkk per sandwich?

Danish Viking, we are sailing on the NCL STAR (Orient Quay C254 and Sund Quay C245) June 21. We will arrive at CPH, 20 June at 12:40 from Frankfort on Lufthansa (Terminal???), staying over- night at Marriott and going to ship next morning. We return from cruise on June 30, again staying at the Marriot overnight and departing CPH at 09:15 on July 1 for Frankfort.

Due to luggage, we plan on using taxis between CPH and Marriott and ship and Marriott. We plan on obtaining DKK at an ATM machine at CPH. How much in DKK’s do you suggest we obtain to cover the 4 taxis and incidentals? Also, are North American credit cards (VISA, MasterCard, American Express) widely accepted in Copenhagen?

What attractions, etc do you advise we visit in order to make the most of our limited time in Copenhagen. Right now we are planning on a canal tour and Tivoli on June 30, if they are open on Sunday.

Thanking you in advance for any advice and suggestions,

Cruzbug