Dinning room on carnival

Not sure how to state this question, but here goes. Last year we sailed NCL and absolutely loved freestyle. Our travel plans for this year brought us to Carnival and I am worried a little about eating arrangements.

While I understand the traditions of cruising and why they are in place, and I do hate to sound like one of those cruisers who thinks it's all about "her". I am not big on this whole set dinner time thing. So we figured we could try it once and see how it goes from there the rest of the cruise.

So I see posts about telling the head waiter or whomever about the fact you won't be there, and that it's rude to table mates, etc. I'm hoping for a 5-top table as requested for my family of 5 anyway. Meanwhile, my point and/or question is I may decide last minute not to go to dinner, I may decide spur of the moment to go. We will most likely have the kids with us, but what if we don't? So do I really have to tell someone each meal what I plan to do? My table isn't just there and if used it's used and if not, so what? Help me out guys, I don't want to be a jerk about this, but I don't want to have to make an appointment or cancel appointments so to speak concerning my dinner each night.

Here's the part I know people love to hear ... It is my vacation (haha) but seriously, I don't like having "set times" for anything on vacation. The fact I can't get a hot breakfast after 10am already is annoying enough. I know there's no IHOP on the ship and they have to keep things moving along.. but breakfast by 930am after a long night of staying up late drinking as many do on the ship is so lame to say the least. Then as my day continues on the late track, I have to race to dinner at 6 sharp?

Are there restaurants on Imagination that you can walk into any time, or maybe make a reservation earlier in the day for any hour you choose, after you've figured your day out. ( I mean other than buffetts, Im aware of them)

Someone tell me I'll love having a set dinner time. I just can't see it and imagine after this cruise it will be back to NCL for us so we can come and go as we please ???

OK... Insert words of wisdom now:D

Thanks, Jules

PS..this is not about tips at all. I plan on pre paying them in advance and tipping extra as I go. I am all for tips and go above the recommended always.

Hi Jules.:) Y'know, it's a little hard to answer this. The fact is that you've chosen to cruise on Carnival, and obviously knew the dining system when you booked the cruise.

No, you don't have to let someone know every night if you'll have dinner in the dining room or not. (It's a courtesy to your waitstaff and tablemates, but no set rule.);) I try to be seated at large tables, and some nights, only half of us are present. The waiter will usually wait about 5-10 minutes for latecomers or no-shows, then begin the service. You can certainly dine in whichever venue you choose on any night.

Hope this helps?

They plan on you for dinner, unless you tell them otherwise. We were at a table for 10 and 2 of our people NEVER showed for a meal at all.

Several times I went up the casual dining room where they have "freestyle" eating and the room was PACKED! I guess lots of people are into having more flexible schedules.

Whatever you do - ENJOY it! It's YOUR cruise and YOUR vacation.

The sit down dinners are worth the effort - as it is nice to be served and taken care of for an hour or two!

Why not just take the late seating? We always do, even with our kids, even when they were young. If they were too tired, cranky, or wanted an earlier meal, we took them to the buffet, then to the kids club. Then we could dine in peace by ourselves.

Granted, if you sleep till the crack of noon, you will not get a hot breakfast, but you can get a hot lunch.

We have sailed on NCL once and we really did like the Freestyle dining. But, you have not experienced traditional cruise dining yet, you may find you enjoy that, too. Don't go with any pre-conceived ideas that you won't like it. The servers can be a lot friendlier, they get to know you, they can be very entertaining. With all but one exception, we have always looked forward to our dinners in the dining room. It is not just a time to eat, it is an evening to enjoy.

I'll reiterate, request the late dining time, it is far more enjoyable than the early dining time. It will work out better with your time frame and what you plan to do.

As far as letting the servers know if you won't attend dinner, that is merely good manners, they will be waiting for you. I know it's your vacation to enjoy the way you want, but this is what traditional cruising is like. No one will scold you for not attending dinner, but consider the fact that if it was you seated at the table, would you want to be kept waiting 20 minutes before you can order to see if the other party was going to show or not? If you were a server in a restaurant, would you like it if the party you were supposed to be serving doesn't show up? Did you ever get stood up for a date? I know it's not quite the same, but a bit similar, someone is expecting you. You do have to be considerate.

Interesting question! This has been my thinking. When we cruise with other people and have a table together we always ALL eat there or ALL eat somewhere else. I've never felt it necessary to tell the waiter we wouldn't be there as there would not be others waiting for us to appear. I always thought the waiters would be happy to have one less table to serve that night! However, if we were randomly seated at a table that included other people we would definitely let someone know we would not be dining. While on a recent cruise and seated at a small table along the balcony of Carnival Spirit we could look down and see all the large half empty tables each night and I thought that to be an awkward dining situation especially when only two people showed up. One night we saw a huge table with only one person seated. As far as tipping goes, we leave our tips in place for the dining staff. I have to say hat's off to the cruise lines for TRYING VERY HARD to please all of the people all of the time and for doing a pretty good job of it! We appreciate the flexible dining opportunity.

We have sailed Carnival 5 times & NCL (dream) once.

Our normal routine is to come back from a long day of activities-get 'foofoo' drink & watch sail away. Then go to room and take our time getting ready-go stroll the promenade,maybe catch some music-then go for relaxing dinner.

One of the great reasons we were not too impressed with NCL(probably due to older-non freestyle ship) was that we had to get in line for dinner. wait 15-20 minutes just to put our name on the list. Then wait another 20-30 minutes for an actual table. By thetime the meal was over, there were NO seats in the show lounge. I much prefer having a table all ready and waiting for me.

I do understand the larger ships that were designed for Freestyle have this figured out better.

I know exactly how you are feeling. Last December we sailed on our first "freestyle" cruise on the Norwegian Dawn. We loved having ten restaurants to choose from each night. Then in March we sailed Royal Caribbean and had only one two-story dining room, which was very noisey--not intimate like the feeling on NCL. I don't like Buffets, so I won't even go there. I have to admit that it was difficult to enjoy ourselves on the Royal Caribbean Ship that soon after cruisng NCL and eating freestyle. We are taking another RCL ship in October and will do Carnival in February. I am simply telling myself that it is time to lose the 8 pounds I've gained since December and think about the ports and swimming instead of the restaurants on our next two cruises.

It is nice to try other cruiselines because each line has something I like about it. Carnival definetely has the best PIZZA of any line. I love that their Pizzeria is open 24 hours and serves caesar salad too. Always enjoy that getting back on ship after a day in port. Another great thing about Carnival I love is the variety of ice creams from fat free to frozen yogurt--all types--and available 24 hours. Sometimes you just gotta have one and you never know what time that will be. With Carnival, think about fun people in a conga line with steel drums in the background holding a tropical drink. I am there already. I am also focusing on warm weather, ports of call, and Pizza & Ice Cream!!! Here I am talking about food again. Doctor I need help!

Mary

Plymouth, MA

The Travel Channel is always picking Carnival #1 for Entertainment. Their shows are GREAT. Don't worry about missing dinner. You'll probably see your waiter in the Buffet at breakfast or lunch anyways. Very few tables are full after the first night. We will definetely skip formal night. Hubby refuses to wear a tie and jacket on vacation. Just another reason we like freestyle options.

Thanks everyone for the helpful replies. Especially the poster who said switch to late dining and take the kids to an earlier dinner at the buffett and go solo with hubby. Our family when on vacation just works on a later schedule and late dinner just may work for us. ( I just took the early as per TA's recommendation but realize I should switch it asap ) That thought crossed my mind yesterday when I posted originally but I considered not many kids will be there during the late sitting. Mine are and always have been great in restaurants, so I really am not concerned about that for the nights they do dine with us.

OK, guys, thanks so much! Late seating it is, as it seems to give us more options over all.

Thanks again!

Jules

I really appreciate people who take time to read and understand the post and offer good sound advice.

You folks who scan boards just to say you're on the "wrong line" crack me up. How can a negative attitude and cruising go together?! Im not on the 'wrong line' as I wanted to try a 'fun ship' always. And I want to see what all the rave reviews for RCI are about. And one day I hope to do a trans atlantic with hubby (no kids) Can there be a wrong line in cruising when you're still relatively new at it?

I think not;)

Jules

We are trying different lines in order to make an informed choice of which one we like overall. We might enjoy the food on one, entertainment on another. Rooms may mean alot to some cruisers and the ports/excursions -large ship/small ship may be the deciding factor for others. I hope we can all keep in mind that when opinions are given it is simply our point of view. Certain annoyances may not be such an important thing for others. Like mrg0433 said. Just keep thinking of that sunny deck, open ocean and NO WORK. That is why there are many successful brands and ships.

Archived