Train to Paris from Barcelona?

AXiDMonica

Hi all,

I am looking into cruising from Barcelona in May. We would like to go to Paris the day we debark for three nights. But I have a ton of questions.

Would we be able to take a train from Barcelona to Paris? How long is the train ride? What times do trains leave? Would it be very costly? Where could I find a reliable website to purchase tickets?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

Yes, ab0si is correct.

That is an overnight train which takes about 12-13 hours. It will cost between €150 - €250 depending on what sort of sleeper you book. There are sometimes special deals to be found on the RENFE webpage.

In comparison, a flight from Barcelona to Paris with low cost airline easyJet takes about 2 hours and costs about €70.

Do bear in mind that easyJet, as with most low-cost airlines, charge quite a lot for checked luggage (usually about €15 per bag).

Hi all,

I am looking into cruising from Barcelona in May. We would like to go to Paris the day we debark for three nights. But I have a ton of questions.

Would we be able to take a train from Barcelona to Paris? How long is the train ride? What times do trains leave? Would it be very costly? Where could I find a reliable website to purchase tickets?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

For information about the night train, visit SEAT61.COM

Also note that the train to Paris leaves from Barcelona Franca station, not from the main Sants Station.

Actually there are 2 trains: Ellipsos overnight one & daytime TGV (takes around 7 hrs with transfer in Figueres Vilafant). I read somewhere that it'll be non stop sometime in 2013.

We took Ellipsos once & liked it. It's can be really good deal (can buy from http://www.renfe.com) if bought in advance (starting at 74 euro pp in 4 person compartment & more in 2 person compartment). I don't think that May is selling just yet. Advantages are that you'll have 2 full days in both cities and save on 1 hotel night. Flights on Easyjet/Vueling can also reasonable but there is always extra costs (luggage, to/from airport transportation, etc). I would say realistically flight option takes around 5 hrs downtown to downtown. Keep in mind that Easyjet flies to CDG (north of Paris) & Vueling - to ORY (south of Paris) so pick one closer to your final destination.

Actually there are 2 trains: Ellipsos overnight one & daytime TGV (takes around 7 hrs with transfer in Figueres Vilafant). I read somewhere that it'll be non stop sometime in 2013.

We took Ellipsos once & liked it. It's can be really good deal (can buy from http://www.renfe.com) if bought in advance (starting at 74 euro pp in 4 person compartment & more in 2 person compartment). I don't think that May is selling just yet. Advantages are that you'll have 2 full days in both cities and save on 1 hotel night. Flights on Easyjet/Vueling can also reasonable but there is always extra costs (luggage, to/from airport transportation, etc). I would say realistically flight option takes around 5 hrs downtown to downtown. Keep in mind that Easyjet flies to CDG (north of Paris) & Vueling - to ORY (south of Paris) so pick one closer to your final destination.

Thank you for the information about the train with connection in Figueres. I did not know about that.

When I look for train journeys I look on the RENFE web page. Because the Figueres to Paris leg is on the French TGF this route is not shown on the Spanish railway's web page.

I just had a look and the price is €128. This perhaps would be a good option for the OP if they would prefer to travel by train.

We took the Barca-Paris overnight and loved it. It was more expensive than flying, but we had always wanted to take a night train. The compartment was compact but worked well. We had TONS of luggage but managed to stow it all, with ingenuity and bungee cords. (There's luggage space over the entry door, though that could be a problem if you're not able to heft heavy things up there. We stacked the remaining bags against the door connecting to the next compartment, and secured them with the cords.) One thing to consider--you won't be able to easily get to stowed luggage en route, so it's best to pack the next day's clothes and toiletries in a tote bag you can hang against the door.

Our onboard dinner was very nice (not included in fare), as was the breakfast (included). And we slept like babies in the rocking car! Waking up in Paris was terrific--we'd do it again anytime.

Archived