Inexpensive activities in Barbados?

midtown_girl

My honey and I are honeymooning on the Sun Princess in October, and stopping in Barbados. In exchange for upgrading to a 10-day cruise, I promised to find us inexpensive or free things to do while in port.

We're active 30-somethings and would love to find things to do off the beaten path; something other than your typical bus tour. We're fond of hiking, beaching, snorkeling, kayaking, and my hubby-to-be is an avid fly fisherman and *may* bring a rod with him if there's a good place to use it.

Any ideas for things to do that won't cost more than $25 or so? Thanks!!

Jen

Carnival Glory 12/6/03

Sun Princess 10/13/04

Unfortunately, just about everything you want to do is going to cost you more than USD$25.00.

For beaching it, you can walk to either Wiesers on the Bay, on the West coast just north of the port or walk through town to the Boatyard. You will save on taxi fare, but you will have a fee to pay at Boatyard, but you get some Beach "Toys" to play with, and I think a sea Kayak might be one of them.(Don't quote me on that, not sure) And I think you get some of your entrance fee back at the bar.

You can walk into town and catch a Local Bus up to Folkstone Park on the West Coast where you can do some snorkeling. Bring your own gear and it would only cost you the bus fare, which at the moment is about US$0.75 from Bridgetown to Holetown, where the park is.

Can't help you with the flyfishing but you would need something more substantial like a Surf Rod to do some surfcasting as I think a Fly Fishing rod might be small. There are no inland lakes to do any kind of fishing in, so I don't think that would work here.

Could luck. and if I think of anything else I'll let you know.

I agree with previous poster about Folkstone. We spent a few hours there on a recent cruise and thought it was a great deal. Snorkeling was excellent, drinks/snacks were very reasonable. We rented a car but since it is on the main road, buses should be fairly easy.

Kevin

Adventure of the Seas - 2004

Destiny - 2003

Splendour of the Seas - 2002

Sea Princess - 2001

Majesty of the Seas - 2000

Inspiration - 1998

Ecstasy - 1997

• 2 weeks later...

The foregoing is a good plan... I throw this out as an addition. Hit Folkestone in the AM and ask the bus driver how to get to Brandon/Malibu Beach in the afternoon. Malibu Beach is in a light industrial neighborhood of rum distilleries (some have tours); it's just north of the terminal in the same direction as Folkestone (but much closer). Malibu Beach behind the Malibu Rum distillery has a modest entry fee that includes a tikki bar drink. They have souvenir rum and t-shirt shop. It is a nice strand of sand and water that looks out on the cruise terminal (you may have some good photo ops of your ship depending on pier position). It isn't close enough to walk so you may want to connoiter the buses. From Malibu it shouldn't cost more than about $3 pp to the terminal (beware of cabs trying to hit you for more).

Archived