Bathsheba Baths

Lizard

I would really like to see the the east side of the island and possibly Bathsheba Baths when I visit in June. Could anyone tell me what would be the best way to do this. We are a family of four, so i was thinking of renting a car to keep the cost down. Has anyone had any positive or negative experiences with this. Will a car rental agency give us directions? Any suggestions for this day would be GREATLY appreciated. It is the only port I have not planned yet, with only 2 weeks to go. Thanks in advance!

Well I'm not sure where you get the name Bathsheba Baths, but what we have in Bathsheba is the Soup Bowl, where most of the surfers hangout and small tidal pools, which are formed by the rocks and coral reef that runs along this stretch of the beach area. The tidal Pools are likely what you may be talking about and seeing them relies heavily on knowing when the tides are high and low.

I would actually recommend finding a taxi driver who can guide you as you go, and if the tides are to high to enjoy the poolies, as we call them, he/she can take you around to other locations around the island.

You can rent a car, if you want. even for someone who doesn't know the island, directions are not that difficult. and anyone could and should be able to direct you to Bathsheba. You can have a nice lunch at the Round House, just above the poolies, or go to Bonita Bar just down the road from there.

Enjoy your day

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure where I heard this area was called the "Baths", but yes, the soup bowl is what I was talking about! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Do you have any idea what the approximate cost of a cab driver would be? Do you have any other suggestions for things to see? Thanks again

If you check further back on this board there are some tansportation - taxi services - discussed or you can check the ministry of tourism on line. I've had OK dealings with cabs in Barbados - but you must insist on a clear understanding of hourly per cab charges AND HOLD TO IT. Unfortunately, the rip off tactics of many Bajan cabs drivers sully the reputation and experience of a fine island - but many do not. Just be careful.

If you rent a car (good for four) this can be done online or at the cruise terminal - but take a compass (literally). Barbados has a coast road that encircles the island and staying on it will get you to Bethsheba - but if you get off the coast road (by mistake or going direct accross the island) it can and will get VERY confusing. There is very little in the way of road signs. You can consume a lot of lost time trying to get oriented. The locals are friendly with directions but that doesn't make it much easier. Except for the coast road, nearly all roads run either North-South or East-West until they hit the coast road. So if you have a compass, you can at least know that you're heading from the cruise terminal - say east, toward the coast road near Bathsheba or say North (which would be off track going to Bathsheba), or west meaning you got completely turned around... I've never driven in a place where a compass could be so handy!

Enjoy!

Archived