A possibly stupid question about food.....

We're cruising on the Sea Princess in November to Fiji. I would like for us to try at least one meal in the main dining room as a family, maybe even on a formal night. Both my sons have Aspergers and are VERY reluctant to try anything out of their comfort zone. I have looked at some previous menus and I'm starting to think that it's not going to be possible :(. Does anyone know if we'd be able to make arrangements for something less fancy and more familiar for my boys that they can eat with us in the main dining room?? I just would really like to try it as a family, just once.

I would suggest not trying to dine in the MDR for the first time on a formal night. Try the dining room after a couple of days at sea when the boys are more comfortable with their surroundings. Also, make time to meet with the Maitre'd, explain the situation to him and try and select a table ahead of time you feel comfortable with. The majority of the staff will work with you to make your experience memorable. If all goes well then attempt a formal night.

Only suggestions (from a spec ed point of view).... I would book a table in the dining room for the whole cruise, which you have to do anyway for main dining. I would email Princess prior, requesting a table close to the entry and near a window/corner, the closest path to and fro. I would also visit the dining room yourself, just after boarding to check and chat to maitre d' re clutter on table etc. I would request to be allowed in, a few minutes prior to designated seating times. Before cruising, I would also get some pics or videos of the dining areas (you tube), and play them over and over prior to sailing, for familiarity.

Most of all, don't feel embarrassed if you have to leave during dinner....try again the next night and so on. You have to give it a go. Enjoy yourself!!

Just adding....you can pre order, the day before, anything the boys may like to eat. They do not have to eat from the menu. I have seen this many times before.

There is also the childrens menu with the usual stuff on, plus they have plain chicken, salmon, salad etc every night.

Check out the menu before dining , it is usually posted near the doorway.

Wait until every one is in the dining room before entering so you do not have to go in with a horde of jostling people. After a few nights with the same waiters , space and his family with him, he may want to try something new. BUT if not, the waiters are always willing to go and get something else.

Have you done a cruise before, On formal night, they dim the lights and the waiters all parade around with the bombe alaska with sparklers on top. There is a lot of noise and commotion as people take photot. Would this upset him?

They're 13 and 18, so not "little kids" but they are both vary wary of new tastes and textures. It's not so much that they would make a huge scene or anything, just that they wouldn't eat anything. If we could just get plain meat, no sauce and plain vegetables, they'd be fine. If they're comfortable with that, there's a chance that they might even try something that DH and I are eating. As far as crowds, noise, etc, it kind of depends on the day they're having. I'm Aspergers as well and I'm the one with the real crowd aversion, but most times I can keep it under wraps. We'll definately opt for a quieter out of the way table. I will make some enquiries with the cruise line about foods, and hopefully we'll make at least one meal. Thanks for all your help.

It's a different cruise line, but we just got back from a cruise on Voyager. The family we were with had a not so young child who was autistic - he only wanted really simple food to each. He didn't want sauce on anything, would happily eat the same food day in day out etc; and the waitress and head waiter went out of their way to talk to the boys Mum about what he would eat.

They had absolutely no problem serving up something 'simple' for him each night and he loved it. I'm sure they put together your meal from a buffet type servery downstairs so it's not really a big change of plans for them to pick something simple and put it on a plate. Especially if they know in advance. They love kids and will do anything for them!

The family we were with were doing a 9 night cruise; and then another 14 straight after. And their son was having a great time with the food. So hopefully you will too; and will do more than one meal.

Dinner in the dinning room is often one of the nice parts of the day on board; so it would be a shame to not be able to do more than one.

Hi. My son could be a bit picky when younger and has had no problems. He has been able to order variations on the menu including food without the sauces.He prefers raw carrots to cooked and on one cruise the waiter arranged raw carrots to be served. As others have said there are always a number of standards - steak, chicken and salmon.

We just got off the Sea Princess yesterday and you will not have a problem. You can order any part of the menu and you can change things. You can have the meat and chips every night if you want, with no sauce. Just make sure you have a table for 4 and you do not have to interact with anyone else.

You can also order off the kids menu even as an adult. One night I was not feeling great so I had kids meal. Also the banana split is to die for. You will not have a problem and the head waiter was great and he will help if you have any problems.

You can also order any part of the menu as a small order. If your children like what they see on your plate you can ask your waiter to get you a meal. It only takes a few minutes for it to turn up.

You will not have a problem in the MDR.:)

Think about trying the dining room for breakfast too. They have regular things, cereal, muffins, pancakes, eggs all ways, fruit,croissants, toast, all things that your children should recognise.

My grandaughter loved breakfast in the dining room but didnt want to have lunch or dinner there as it took too long and she was just busting to get back into the kids program.

Ladypop please come back after your cruise to the forums and tell us about your experience, any tips and discovered ideas with your boys, as it might help others who have similar concerns. Good luck, I'm sure you ALL will have a great time.

Yes! the waiters (& staff) are wonderful with kids and you can ask for anything and they'll try to accomodate!

B&B

On our last cruise on Princess - the Crown for Christmas, we saw people eating burgers and fries in the MDR, and there is less stuffy choices such as baked chicken and salmon that is always offered. I think the burger is also offered every night too. There was also a pasta that can be had in entree as well as small plates. As a matter of fact you can order a selection of food - more than one entree if they cannot choose just one or even a selection of deserts. I would give the dinning room a try and if they act up, then leave. You can always feed your boys from the lido or grill or room service a snack before dinner and if they do not find the food they want then go to the lido after dinner. They tend to be rather flexible in the MDR and if there is a food choice your boys just have to have, I would talk to the manager and request it ahead. It also works better to order all the entrees- you can have as many as you want to try, appetisers - you can have as many as you want to try and even an entree as a small plate and desserts - you can have as many as you want to try when you first order cause the wait to order later can be long. You can have them leave off the butter or sauce and even if you see a vegetable offered with another entree that you want and have that too. It is actually easier to custom your food choices in the MDR than at the buffet.

I'd really like for us to try the dining room, and if we CAN get something simple, then I can't see us having a problem. It's more a fear of the unknown thing with them, and we have tried and continue to try and ease them out of their comfort zone, but it's slow going.:rolleyes:. Oldest son sent me a text from his school formal last year saying "mum, do I have to eat the food?" I asked him to try a mouthful, and that would be fine. Knowing how he is in new situations, I figured he wouldn't eat, so made sure he had his fave burger and fries before he left.

I was just happy he managed the suit and tie, bless him. And the girls at his table were happy to get the extra dessert:D

Ladypop, I have a 13 year old who will only eat grilled chicken and plain pasta, or chips. No sauces at all and if anything else is on the plate the whole plate is "contaminated", and he will not eat anything that was on that plate. :eek: He always chooses from the kids menu and does fine. Ask for the sauces and/or chips on a separate plate, he always does.:D My 17 year old went from much the same a couple of years ago, to eating escargo (and loving it)on the last cruise. They will manage to find anything you ask for in the dining room, especially with a days notice. There's no need to worry. I am off again next New Years with 4 kids and 2 adults who are very much the same.;)

Ladypop, I'm also on the Autism Spectrum and only prefer some foods and textures. I also have a couple of food allergies that I developed after food poisoning in 2010.

I've just completed my 2nd ever cruise and had no problem finding something that I could eat. Make yourself and your boys known to the Maitre'D and/or Head Waiter/ess and they will help. If there's something on the menu one night that you find your boys love, you can ask for it again the next night and the next night (you get my drift!) even if it's not there on the menu. I did this on my last cruise. They will also give you the next night's menu for you to order from if your boys want something specially made.

One of my fave foods is Macaroni cheese (simple and plain and pasta for me is a good texture) so I just ordered that from the Children's Menu.

As for Formal night, I think if you just show you've made an effort to wear something smart (no necessarily formal per se) then you'll be ok! I saw boys wearing a nice shirt, pants and jacket or waistcoat/vest and a nice pair of black shoes.

Even I must've done ok, I wasnt turned away from the MDR on the formal nights!!!

Hope this helps!

Archived