Heathrow to Southampton Options?

kbruceh

Can anyone provide some suggestions on the best way (ways?) to get from heathrow to the port at Southampton? we will be arriving about 8:00 a.m. What is the travel time to the port? Any experiences on this pre-cruise route would be welcome. Thanks!!

Trans-Atlantic flights into Heathrow tend to be early rather than late. Expect to be in the arrivals hall about 60 to 90 mins after landing.

Cheapest transfer is by pre-booking a scheduled coach (bus) operated by

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx direct from Heathrow to Southampton coach station (ignore the cruise terminal option, it doesn't apply to your ship) at about £17 per person. You'll need to know your Heathrow terminal before you can book. Nat Express have a luggage limit of two 44lb cases plus handluggage per person - not strictly enforced, but don't choose the coach if your luggage is way in excess of this. If your flight is delayed, your ticket is OK for a later coach, subject availability & to a minimal admin charge

Journey time 2hrs, then a short £5 to £7 taxi hop to any cruise terminal

The train http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...journey/search is more expensive, at about £36 per person, and your journey starts with an included RailAir shuttlebus to the nearest main line rail station, usually Woking, where you join a direct train. Journey time also about 2hrs, your destination is Southampton central station. Again add a £5 to £7 taxi ride to your ship. But trains are every half-hour, no need to pre-book, & no luggage limitations that would concern you. The need to switch from a shuttlebus, esp with luggage, makes the train an unpopular option but some prefer it, and it's a useful Plan B if other travel arrangements foul-up.

No senior rates on coach or train, and no "funfares" or cheap megatrain tickets on this route.

The cruiseline transfer by coach from airport terminal to ship is usually around $50 (= £33) per person. You need to pre-book with the cruise line. No luggage restrictions. Journey time about 90 minutes, but you may spend some time trawling the airport terminals picking up passengers before starting the journey.

A private transfer from airport terminal to ship currently costs about £90 with either www.westquaycars.com or www.smithsforairports.com both frequently recommended by Cruise Critic members, journey time a minimum of 1hr 15mins plus allowance for traffic. Price is for a car for 3 plus luggage, larger vehicles available.

A pre-booked & pre-paid cruise tour/transfer coach operates from (central London and) selected Heathrow hotels to the larger ships at Southampton, with an hour at Stonehenge on the way. It costs around £50 per person, no luggage restrictions.

But I'd not recommend it if you are flying in same-day because a flight or immigration delay means you'll miss it, with no refund.

Summer saturday mornings (& fridays of a long holiday weekend) can add an hour to journey times by road, but you have plenty of time in hand.

JB :)

• 4 months later...

I am probably going to book with them for Southampton to Heathrow, but I'm not sure what time we'll be able to disembark. You didn't have to keep them waiting, did you? If so, did they charge more? Also, I realize it depends upon the ship, but would you happen to know about how long it took for your ship to be cleared and for the first people to be able to disembark? We are to dock at 6AM but I don't know when to ask for a pick up.

I am probably going to book with them for Southampton to Heathrow, but I'm not sure what time we'll be able to disembark. You didn't have to keep them waiting, did you? If so, did they charge more? Also, I realize it depends upon the ship, but would you happen to know about how long it took for your ship to be cleared and for the first people to be able to disembark? We are to dock at 6AM but I don't know when to ask for a pick up.

What time does your flight leave? Ours doesn't leave until three, so we aren't going to rush to be off the ship. Will be one of the last. I think pick up time will be around 10:00 for us.

I wouldn't book a pick up before 8:00. If using a popular service, they will be able to tell you what time you need to catch your particular flight with some time to spare. Hopefully your flight isn't until after noon.

Hi Roothy,

I stalked some of your other posts.;)

Am I right in thinking your ship is Oceania's Marina, 29th June, & your flight is from Heathrow at 1.05pm?

Expect the ship to be cleared for unassisted disembarkation around 7.00 to 7.30 & for general disembarkation from around 7.30 to 8.00

29th June is a Saturday.

Although a summer Saturday isn't great for Heathrow to Southampton, it's a very good day to be heading from Southampton to Heathrow. :)

Barring anything out of the usual, such as a serious accident closing the motorway, the drive will take under 90 minutes.

So theoretically you could book a car for 9.30am, & be at check-in around 3 hours ahead of your flight.

But you'll probably want a wider window, so I guess 8.30 would make sense.

JB :)

Give your flight details when you book a car & see whether Smiths (or whoever) concur. And quote your ship as well, if there's still conflicting info about your cruise terminal - the port website says City terminal.

Archived