Mini Mokes

mocha's mom

Has anyone ever rented a mini moke? They are supposed to be glorified golf carts. Are they safe and fun to drive?

I understand that in Barbados, you drive on the left side. Is this difficult to get used to?

What is the daily rental price?

Thanks for the info!

[QUOTE=mocha's mom]Has anyone ever rented a mini moke? They are supposed to be glorified golf carts. Are they safe and fun to drive?

I understand that in Barbados, you drive on the left side. Is this difficult to get used to?

What is the daily rental price?

Thanks for the info![/QUOTE]

Within an hour or so you'll be comfortable driving on the left. No problem.

Mini mokes are indeed small vehicles. I suppose they are safer than a motorcycle. Remember, on the island one rarely exceeds 35-45 MPH, but a crash with a full-sized sedan would be unpleasant. However, we only read about this a few times a year.

The real problem with semi-open, or open vehicles, such as a mini moke on the island is the possibility of assault and robbery, especially through the cane fields.

The bad guys hide in the cane and roll a big rock in front of the car, they rob the driver and passengers, then disappear in the cane to their vehicle on another road.

Have seen this twice in 13 years there and probably read about it a dozen more times.

If you just drive the coast road, no problem. But if you venture through the cane field roads, you're taking a chance.

You'll see very few of our 750,000 residents driving open vehicles for this very reason.

Rent a sedan and play it safe.

Here's a site to get you started. I recommend Drive-A-Matic.

Find it [URL=http://barbados2000.com/carrentals.html]HERE.[/URL]

Have a great time on the island! :)

Archived