Recent Camp Carnival exp. with special needs?

FriscoMcDavis

Hi, we are planning on taking the Carnival Dream in June for my eldests's graduation. We are also bringing our soon to be 5 and 2 yr old. Our littlest one happens to have Down Syndrome and I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with Camp Carnival and special needs? I've seen several older posts, but nothing from the past year or so. She does not walk yet, but is a quick crawler and VERY social! She is small though, so I worry a bit about the age range they have. We weren't thinking of leaving her for hours :) but definitely were looking forward to a free hour here or there.

Anyway, any advice or input would be helpful!

I was on the Pride last year with my 7 year old special needs child and they were great with her and allowed her to be aged down (though obviously that's not an option for you). She was teeny and wasn't walking either at the time of her first Carnival cruise at 2 years old and it wasn't an issue - the kids were playing with toys on the ground anyway and lots of things to pull up on. I'm sure it all depends on the specific staff, but our experiences have been good.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Good to hear! My son is 3.5, and special needs too. He has a feeding tube, sensory issues, and ODD. I worry a bit about them not wanting to deal with him, but with 6, 4, and 2 while we cruise, I would really like an hour here and there!

I was on the Pride last year with my 7 year old special needs child and they were great with her and allowed her to be aged down (though obviously that's not an option for you). She was teeny and wasn't walking either at the time of her first Carnival cruise at 2 years old and it wasn't an issue - the kids were playing with toys on the ground anyway and lots of things to pull up on. I'm sure it all depends on the specific staff' date=' but our experiences have been good.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Thank you so much for your input - this is helpful information. I think she will enjoy a couple hours of play time - she loves to pull up - and Mommy and Daddy will hopefully enjoy an hour or two of quiet time :) Now our typical, soon to be 5 yr old, might actually be the bigger issue. My dad was joking that they will probably shut out all 5 year olds after an hour with him :rolleyes:

We were on the sensation the middle of Jan to the bahamas and used the kids club. Our son is 4 and has special needs and medical needs. The staff was great and after going to the kids club, he didn't want to hang out with us. lol We took him to the kids dinner in the buffet dining room too. They give you a cell phone to call you if there are any problems. Our son is still in diapers and had an accident the one night, so my husband picked him up and took him back to our room to get changed and cleaned up. Then he took him back to the club. I would agree with others that the staff might make a difference but we had a great experience and are going on another cruise the end of this month with carnival. Our son was in a group with 2-5 yr olds.

Archived