Q. for anyone just returning from their cruises...

Hikini

There are several threads about what to pack to take on your cruise. I was wondering, for those of you just returning if there was an item you forgot to take, or an item you didn't think about taking, and once on the ship were wishing you had with you? Did you take things you later found you didn't need?

I find it interesting to read peoples lists of things to take along. Some of them have me scratching my head. But to each their own!

Just curious....

Hikini:D

as always we took too many clothes...seems to happen every cruise...if you find you don't have enough clothing they offer a fairly reasonable cleaning service which we will use next time....we also took along a travel iron which came in handy....

Okay let's see --

We did not use;

Outer wear except gloves one time

extra meds and first aid items

post notes - left one note and use stationary in room

extra reading glasses -- never lost or broke the first pair

wrinkle releaser -- just steamed in bathroom

duct tape - but friends used it for lint remover

ear plugs and tylenol PM -- slept like a baby without them

2nd dress -- went in slacks and nice top on semi night

3rd roll of film -- ended up taking a lot of digitals

books -- enjoyed watching the scenery too much

There are probably more but these are ones I remember :) We do a lot of traveling so I don't do a lot of over packing - I stick to clothes that can mix and match and never take more than 3 pairs of shoes. I saw some couples with 5 and 6 bags!!

Samantha

I find the lists are pretty interesting, too. After our first couple of cruises, I've always tried to find ways to pare down and only take the bare necessities. But, that is different for everyone. I'll always take along my own shampoo/conditioner and hair dryer, but the next person would rather not bother with that, however will bring along a laptop computer and a coffee maker. We all have our priorities.

The things I have taken and never used are:

post it notes (there is a pad of paper on the desk)

highlighter pen (there is a pen with the above pad of paper)

water wallet

cute shoes that only go with one outfit

pre-addressed address labels (too busy to take the time for postcards)

more than one paperback, along the same line, a whole guidebook (copy the page you need)

more than 4 pair of shorts/t-shirts

nightlight

Things I will always bring from now on:

my most comfortable, everyday shoes

my cell phone (turned off during the cruise, but so handy other times)

booklight (I'm not always the best sleeper)

a small first aid kit with remedies for common ailments, plus a few bandaids

more $$ than I think I will need

accordion type shoe shelf for shoes/belts/purses

an extra bag (I have a great one that folds into itself and is not much large than a keychain when not in use)

There are many more items that would belong on each list. Experience is the best teacher for each of us and the more we travel, the more we learn what works best for us. I try to not consider every eventuality (deal with things as they come along) and leave behind what will be provided (with some exception). I read some women will not even consider a cruise with anything less than 12 pair of shoes and changes of clothing for every perceived event, but I prefer to lighten the load. If I left my husband to pack for himself, he would take enough to travel the world for a month, so I have to curb his packing plans. I see some people that look like pack mules with backpacks, camera bags, water bottles every step of the way. I don't even like to be bothered with a purse, so I make sure all my shorts have pockets. We have found that neither of us want to video our vacation, we would rather experience it, so we only take a small camera. But, another person relishes watching the video over and over.

So, what works for me would not even come close for another person. If I had to only choose one item to never forget? That would have to be your most comfortable shoes. The most important thing to leave behind, your impatience.

• Clothes always seem to be an issue. We too have scaled down somewhat. We had some of our laundry done on the ship because the price was right. The last time we brought one bag each and a carry on. Perfect!
  • We brought the MP3 with headphones. We went out and bought speakers to take on the next trip for the room. 9/4/05
  • We brought walkie talkie's but never used them.
  • Always bring First Aid kit.
  • Only read 1/2 a book. No time.
  • We did bring a power strip which was a tip from an earlier thread. That came in handy.
  • My husband threw in the duck tape and to this date I'm still not sure what we were suppose to do with it!:confused:

Two things we never travel without are the over the door thingy with pockets (think it's supposed to go in a closet for shoes) that holds all the things that otherwise take up shelf space- keeps things organized and neat, and the other thing is a room freshener. We used one of the Glade ones. Really keeps the bathroom smelling nice.

We took too many shoes, next time it will be sandals and sneakers only!

I almost forgot to pack a sweater for each of us- it is COLD in the lounges.

I, too, always take duct tape and have never used it.

I take a tube of silicone goop, it is really handy for quick repairs if the airlines damage the edges of luggage. It dries overnight, so check your luggage carefully before storing it under the bed.

First aid kit with sudafed or other cold remedies and imodium. Sunblock and sunburn remedy.

This last cruise, I took a container of Clorox disinfecting wipes, and went over everything in the cabin before we even unpacked, door handles, surfaces, especially the bathroom. This was the first cruise where nobody got sick, not even a sniffle. This will be a standard practice for me from here on.

I pack each item of clothing in a ziplock baggy, gallon and two gallon sizes. I have a stack of them that have been on many trips (just returned from our 23rd cruise) Never have a problem with wrinkles. Also it makes it very easy for the security inspectors at the airport. I also print out a list of the contents of each bag and place it at the top, along with our names and address, in case the bag gets lost.

I used my duct tape last cruise :D

The room steward and his manager were trying to fix the vaccum clearer hose with masking tape and it keep falling apart. I went to my cabin got the duct tape and when I left the ship that repair was still in place and everyone had clean carpets :)

Two things we never travel without are the over the door thingy with pockets (think it's supposed to go in a closet for shoes) that holds all the things that otherwise take up shelf space- keeps things organized and neat, and the other thing is a room freshener. We used one of the Glade ones. Really keeps the bathroom smelling nice.

We took too many shoes, next time it will be sandals and sneakers only!

I almost forgot to pack a sweater for each of us- it is COLD in the lounges.

I, too, always take duct tape and have never used it.

I take a tube of silicone goop, it is really handy for quick repairs if the airlines damage the edges of luggage. It dries overnight, so check your luggage carefully before storing it under the bed.

First aid kit with sudafed or other cold remedies and imodium. Sunblock and sunburn remedy.

This last cruise, I took a container of Clorox disinfecting wipes, and went over everything in the cabin before we even unpacked, door handles, surfaces, especially the bathroom. This was the first cruise where nobody got sick, not even a sniffle. This will be a standard practice for me from here on.

I pack each item of clothing in a ziplock baggy, gallon and two gallon sizes. I have a stack of them that have been on many trips (just returned from our 23rd cruise) Never have a problem with wrinkles. Also it makes it very easy for the security inspectors at the airport. I also print out a list of the contents of each bag and place it at the top, along with our names and address, in case the bag gets lost.

Are sandals allowed at dinner time?

Archived