Claiming from travel insurance

Has anyone ever had problem claiming sea sickness or gastro (eg norovirus). from travel insurance? I've been reading PDFs of various insurance companies. They won't cover any pre-existing conditions that are not listed.

My kids have certainly gone to doctors before for severe gastro but its so common!

I don't think in this case pre-existing means that you have suffered from it before. That would mean if you have the flu on a cruise you wouldn't be able to claim as you have had it before..... You should be covered. Just a suggestion with regard to sea sickness - start taking the medication the day before travel and keep taking it for one day following disembarkation. It really helps

Agree with Brizzie.

What they tend to mean is if you have had diarrhoea for weeks or months but not had it investigated or diagnosed, ie a gastro infection with C.Diff.

I sometimes get seasick - not always so take my medication the day of cruise in the morning and keep taking it for that day and the next, usually after that I am fine so don't need it. I just think it is cheaper to take your own seasickness pills rather than have to go to ship doctor - pay for that and the medication. If you carry your own there is not need to claim the insurance.

Your general doctor should be able to help you decide on medication or local pharmacist.

I heard someone mention that the sea sickness needle/shot they give you on the ship is not covered under travel insurance.. but I don't see why it wouldn't be if you have comprehensive insurance.. but most insurances will have a $100 or more excess and that same person said the shot was $80.

I don't get sea-sick but my wife has never been on a cruise before, so even though she doesn't get motion sickness normally, we will definitely be packing some pills just in case.

Archived