What can the Steward do you you?

Hi,

First time cruisers. Heading on VOS on 7/1.

Looking for a general idea of what the Steward can do for me. I guess they can clear out the mini bar and keep ice in the room and get us robes but what else could we want/need that we might not know about? Can we ask to have a few bottles of beer or juice for the kids in the room each afternoon when we return?

Looking for suggestions from expert cruisers.

Thanks

golf4tonys: Welcome to cruising and to the boards. I noticed you got a little bit too warm of a response on another thread about Jamaica, so don't think we all are like that.

To answer your question, the room steward will clean your cabin thoroughly twice a day, turn down your sheets at night, make cute towel animals for the kids, leave chocolates for you on your pillows, keep the sodas and beer and ice ready for you (they charge for the soda and beer), and generally pamper you and the kids.

Have a wonderful time, and welcome again!!

We once asked a steward to get us a lounge chair for our balcony and tipped him ahead of time for that. No problem!

As for the beer and juice, you can request that from room service when you return to the cabin. I know there's a charge for the beer, not sure about the juice. Talk to your steward the first day and see what he can do. This may or may not be within his duties. BTW, room service would need a tip each time and a tip to your steward if he can help would be a nice gesture too. :)

2forthesea gave a good rundown of what you is expected of a room steward. They can also be life savers (or vacation savers) for some unexpected situations. Our stewards have worked miracles for us on occasion. On one cruise a strap on one of my wife's sandles broke. We asked the steward if he could help and we had the sandle back within a day with the strap neatly repaired. The repair lasted longer than the soles. On another cruise our luggage failed to make the ship and we were without our bags for the first 5 days of the cruise. Our steward provided us with several small essentials which aren't part of the standard survival kits you get in such situations. On one cruise the hub on one of the small wheels on my wife's wheelchair fractured. Again, room steward to the rescue. He got the ships carpenter to tackle the problem. We got the wheel back with the plastic hub banded with copper. The repair was still going strong when the rubber wore off the wheel years later.

Archived