Help! Aft cabin on deck 11 on Summit

cruisin cubbie

Hi there,

We just booked an aft cabin (1141) on deck 11 on the Summit. We're going on 8/25. I am very excited about the aft...always wanted to watch the wake from our balcony! Here's the glitch. I think I remember reading on one of these posts that there was a soot problem. If anyone has sailed in these aft cabins I would love your feedback. My TA will change our cabin if we do find a problem.

Thank you so much. I am always so impressed with the wonderful info and delightful insights into cruising that I obtain from this board. You all have made my experience all the richer.

Phylllis

Phyllis, first of all congratulations on snagging one of the AQ AFT cabins with one of the largest balconies. The only one larger is 1140. I have read posts on this board that described some soot on these balconies, but only a small amount and other posts which describe no soot at all. One thing to consider is that 1141 is on the port side of the ship, directly above the smoking section of the Sunset Bar. Again I have read where this was a problem to some and no problem whatsoever to others. It could be perception or it could be the way the prevailing winds were blowing. We have booked cabin 1138, 1141's starboard twin, just be on the cautious side with the cigarette/cigar smoke. I do know that the cabins offer a spectacular view and the oversized balcony plenty of room to enjoy it. Have a great cruise to Bermuda. We went at the same time last year.

I've occupied 1133 on Infinity and have booked 1140 for a back-to-back on Millennium next year... 1141 is the cabin between those two... I'm not aware of--and certainly did not detect--any sort of soot problem on the Millennium-Class ships [and in fact, the Concierge Class 1 Afts on those ships--with enormous verandas--have never been cited as having a soot problem either (I've had those aft cabins--on Decks 7 and 8--three times now)]... To the best of my knowledge, the soot problems can be an issue--I encountered it--for the Solstice-Class aft cabins; some love them but, for a number of reasons, I'd never personally book an aft on Solstice Class again...

By the way... We're seasonal neighbors... When not in Florida, I still have my home in the Spring Brook area of my native Morris Township!

Enjoy 1141; to my mind you've made a great choice... And though some have reported smelling smoke from below, I did not detect it [but that can vary depending upon the behaviors of your cruise mates and winds] while sailing in 1133...

Edited by Xport

we have cabin #1138 booked for november 30th cruise...we always try to book an aft cabin if available..we love the view of the wake..we too had concerns about sooton the balcony..just to be on the safe side ,we will cover our chairs with extra towels before seating.we were able to scored a corner aft( #7202) last cruise and the balcony was huge

DSCF5004.jpg.7c90d5067cbd0eda2f53ffb06a60ee26.jpg

Thanks so much for your input. I think I'll call my TA to see if there is availability in a "next door" aft cabin. I'd imagine however, that there would have to be a great deal of smoking going on to have it be a real problem! I didn't realize that you could smoke cigars on board. You learn some thing everyday!!

Hello to my fellow Jersey Girl! We've been having quite a cold snap here. Snow expected tonight and tomorrow. Hope you are enjoying your weather!!

• 1 year later...

After reading all the pros and cons to the AQ cabins I decided to call our TA and find out if any of the aft cabins were available for our sailing. Jackpot!! 1141 is available!! Bigger balcony, great view...I am counting down the days till we leave. Our first Celebrity experience is bound to be a great one.

Hello Columbiangirl,

We will occupy the same cabin just after you (August 24). We are also very excited!

Enjoy your cruise and take care of the cabin!

Will do! I will gladly report back with pictures and tidbits of information for you Vivi9909!

We are in the "mirror image" cabin on the Summit, 1138, on July 27. I typically do an extensive review with pictures and, for sure, I will report back on any issues with soot.

I haven't sailed aft before, but we have a teaser coming up in April on a 5 nighter on the Constellation. C1 on deck 7 (7206). That should give me a beautiful sense of the view. The Summit will be our first AQ cabin.

Here's hoping we like Aft!!!!!

Hi there,

We just booked an aft cabin (1141) on deck 11 on the Summit. We're going on 8/25. I am very excited about the aft...always wanted to watch the wake from our balcony! Here's the glitch. I think I remember reading on one of these posts that there was a soot problem. If anyone has sailed in these aft cabins I would love your feedback. My TA will change our cabin if we do find a problem.

Thank you so much. I am always so impressed with the wonderful info and delightful insights into cruising that I obtain from this board. You all have made my experience all the richer.

Phylllis

Just off the Summit last Saturday, cabin 1130…no soot, no smoke, no noise. LOVED our cabin. Great balcony. Favorite balcony of the 13 cruises we have been on. ENJOY!!!

We had 1140 on Jan. 25th sailing and I do have to report the soot was definitely noticeable. The first morning we had breakfast on balcony, which was glorious, and I was barefoot. My husband started laughing because my feet were totally black on the bottoms. Then I noticied the steward had left a towel on the floor at the balcony door, now I know why. We just remembered to wipe off the chairs before sitting down, and I kept my flip-flops on after that, and everything was fine. Would I book a aft cabin again, absolutely, it was wonderful watching the wake, and only one time did we smell any kind of smoke and that was 2 guys smoking smelly cigars just inches off to the port side of center so they technically were on the port side, but they were certainly pushing the point.

I love CC! I had orginally posted this way back on 8/13. Update... I did go on the Summit and had a glorious time in Cabin 1041. There was a little soot, but the experience of watching the wake superceded that! I highly recommend aft, as all that have traveled in those aft cabins know.

We booked again for this August in the cabin next door, 1040, because the Celebrity agent on board said it has a smidge larger balcony. I can't wait!!

Thank you all for your comments. If anyone has pictures, please post them. We never take pictures and I would love to see some!!