Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

Sherri, so glad that the surgery went well. I hope this is the end of your sinus problems -- and you get to go back home!! I'm sure you miss your family and your family misses you!

Looking forward to the EPIC Celebrity review! (And...I don't think it's necessarily the drugs...the Quantum looks WILD!! I can't wait to sail on her!)

Wow - the Quantum - I've been trying to read about it, but being a bit loopy from the drugs from my surgery, I'm not sure if its the loopy drugs or if the ship is really that wild & crazy!!! ;)

Glad you're doing well Sherri.

I agree... The Quantum is pretty wild looking, painkillers or not. The observation tower/ crane thing is intriguing. Steve has his eye on the sky diving simulator. Not sure if we would make a beeline for this ship or not, but then again I said the same thing about Oasis/Allure.

I still dislike the name of the ship though, but RCI didn't ask me!

Hey my friend and I are cruising on the Allure Eastern Caribbean route on May 26th. We had heard there is a themed party later in the cruise, like an 80s party or something. We were wondering if anyone knew what it is so that we can plan for it.

Thanks,

Cole

We returned a week ago from Oasis and I attach pictures from this party. It was a lot of fun and good for adults and kids. Although, our teengers were having their own fun.

Edited by yshteyman
tt

First, thanks for such an awesomely funny and through review! I am not even sailing on the Allure (we leave on the Oasis in 15 days however) and read every word of it! I would love you run into you on one of our cruises (however we would most likely have our two "Klingon's" with us, so you would probably run in the opposite direction....:p

Now, on to my question....I am not sure if it would be the same on the Oasis, but thought I would give it a shot. Do you know if Johnny Rocket's is open on the first day? I have had folks say "pretty sure it was open....." but no one to say 100%. We are aiming for that if we can get it and if not going over to Park Cafe if the line isn't snaking the ship! Thanks in advance. :)

First, thanks for such an awesomely funny and through review! I am not even sailing on the Allure (we leave on the Oasis in 15 days however) and read every word of it! I would love you run into you on one of our cruises (however we would most likely have our two "Klingon's" with us, so you would probably run in the opposite direction....:p

Now, on to my question....I am not sure if it would be the same on the Oasis, but thought I would give it a shot. Do you know if Johnny Rocket's is open on the first day? I have had folks say "pretty sure it was open....." but no one to say 100%. We are aiming for that if we can get it and if not going over to Park Cafe if the line isn't snaking the ship! Thanks in advance. :)

Yes - it is open from 11:30 until 3:30 on the first day - just remember the cover charge!

And thank you! I hope this review was helpful...! ;)

I have only just caught your thread, and must admit that I would love to meet you on a cruise - you seem to have a great sense of humour - akin to mine, which I have rarely found in our American cousins.

Thanks for the full report, I still think it's too big...

A real pleasure.

Mal

Sherri

I know you've been recovering from your surgery and finally made it home - yay! Just wondering when you would be starting your Top Chef cruise review?? I can't wait to read all about it! :D

You told me you would bring warm weather back to KC from Florida! Hello, there is SNOW in the forecast and the temperature is plummeting by the minute.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You told me you would bring warm weather back to KC from Florida! Hello, there is SNOW in the forecast and the temperature is plummeting by the minute.

LOL This is amazing even for Kansas.

If you're talking "where to " as far as my Red Cross work, I never know...until it hits. Sometimes I have only 3 hours notice to pack for 3 weeks and go. :( I'm not sure if I'll be heading to the NE; it depends on how many power outages there are and how widespread (any) damage is. I'm hoping it's not bad...but I'm not sure.

Just found your review as I was reading another Allure review. My DW and I are booked on a B2B on the Allure for the end of November - beginning of December.

Love all the information that you gave and I took tons of notes.

I am a 911 dispatcher and a volunteer fireman so I have had lots of contact with the Red Cross at scenes. I would like to take this time to thank YOU for your service as a Red Cross Volunteer. Most people don't realize the hard work you folks do at the scenes of disasters, but I have and it is not easy work. I for one really appreciate your service. THANK YOU! :)

"FYI - you can book the cupcake classes online in the Pre-Cruise planner BEFORE you sail. I believe it's under the specialty restaurant category."

Thanks for the tip. I checked and it is indeed in the specialty restaurant category. I'm signing my daughter up for this today.

That's it! I am going on the Allure for my 50th birthday in September!

When in September? That's my 50th as well!! With an HS daughter, can't take a birthday cruise quite yet (soon though, she'll be a junior next year :). Can't wait for off-season pricing!!), but am sailing the Allure for our anniversary this July.

Well, it took me 2 weeks, but I read through ALL of your Serenade, Freedom, and Allure reviews. And all I can say is:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow! WOW! You did such a great job, and it was so enjoyable to read through them all! Never thought I'd be interested in Allure...and now...well...maybe we'll do it for the kids (I mean Klingons)...but who am I kidding, I want to go!

So, a THANK YOU Sherri, for your awesome reviews. I enjoyed them and learned so much!

And one question for you: given what you didn't like about the Serenade (food, checking in/out towels), and some parts of Freedom (crowds, BTGs, loud pool deck), I'm wondering...would you ever give Celebrity a try? I think it would be right up your alley! Maybe you should go, y'know, strictly for research purposes!

Thanks again...you have a new fan here!

I have only just caught your thread, and must admit that I would love to meet you on a cruise - you seem to have a great sense of humour - akin to mine, which I have rarely found in our American cousins.

Thanks for the full report, I still think it's too big...

A real pleasure.

Mal

Thank you! I try to laugh at life - and enjoy it - and maybe we WILL meet one day on a cruise! :)

Great review

Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed it! :)

Sherri

I know you've been recovering from your surgery and finally made it home - yay! Just wondering when you would be starting your Top Chef cruise review?? I can't wait to read all about it! :D

I have GOT to get going on the Top Chef review - but I've had a slower recovery than anticipated on my sinus surgery. My brain still seems to be in a fog most days, but I'm getting better - slowly - with a few setbacks along the way. I hope to get going on the review any day now - thanks for your patience! :)

I lied.

How about that snow for a May surprise??!! Imagine MY shock - coming back to KC in May from warm, sunny Florida - only to be met with snow! :eek:

Just found your review as I was reading another Allure review. My DW and I are booked on a B2B on the Allure for the end of November - beginning of December.

Love all the information that you gave and I took tons of notes.

I am a 911 dispatcher and a volunteer fireman so I have had lots of contact with the Red Cross at scenes. I would like to take this time to thank YOU for your service as a Red Cross Volunteer. Most people don't realize the hard work you folks do at the scenes of disasters, but I have and it is not easy work. I for one really appreciate your service. THANK YOU! :)

Aw, thank YOU. This was a very nice comment - I appreciate it a lot! No, it's definitely not easy - and especially for no pay - but the heartfelt rewards I get are too many to count. I love what I do, and I love the people that I meet. I hope I've given "hope" to many people after a disaster. :)

Well, it took me 2 weeks, but I read through ALL of your Serenade, Freedom, and Allure reviews. And all I can say is:

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow! WOW! You did such a great job, and it was so enjoyable to read through them all! Never thought I'd be interested in Allure...and now...well...maybe we'll do it for the kids (I mean Klingons)...but who am I kidding, I want to go!

So, a THANK YOU Sherri, for your awesome reviews. I enjoyed them and learned so much!

And one question for you: given what you didn't like about the Serenade (food, checking in/out towels), and some parts of Freedom (crowds, BTGs, loud pool deck), I'm wondering...would you ever give Celebrity a try? I think it would be right up your alley! Maybe you should go, y'know, strictly for research purposes!

Thanks again...you have a new fan here!

Whew! All three reviews??!! Wow - you deserve a medal for slogging through them! ;) By all means, take the Klingons and go on the Allure - I think you'll have a GREAT time!

It's funny you would mention Celebrity...I actually just went on a Celebrity cruise in April...I still need to start on my review. I went on the Constellation for a chartered sailing for Bravo TV's "Top Chef" event...and I'll give a hint...I was not impressed with Celebrity. However - there may be a good reason for why Celebrity's service was awful, which I'll be sure to elaborate on when I write my review (I'm such a tease!!).

I know I sometimes write about the food, the crowds, the entertainment, etc on RCI's ships, but in actuality, those are minor complaints...not that I expect perfection, but I am trying to be honest and not paint a picture of perfection if it doesn't exist. It doesn't ruin my cruising experience, and it won't stop me from cruising on those ships in the future, for sure, because as in life, not every day/ever adventure will turn out perfect!

I'll get going soon on that Celebrity review - although it will be posted on the Celebrity boards, of course! ;)

Just found this thread researching the differences between Oasis and Allure. WOW!!!!!!!!

You are better than any brochure Royal could ever put out. Totally convinced me that the "Big Dog" is not too big for me. (Even though I sure do love me some "Freedom OTS" :D;))

I totally blew off a company party tonight with drinks and dinner so I could finish your review.

I like your style girl! Hope you are feeling better real soon and you continue to cruise and write awesome reviews. Thanks for all the time you put into this.

E-Beth

Edited by dachshunddoglover

Just found this thread researching the differences between Oasis and Allure. WOW!!!!!!!!

You are better than any brochure Royal could ever put out. Totally convinced me that the "Big Dog" is not too big for me. (Even though I sure do love me some "Freedom OTS" :D;))

I totally blew off a company party tonight with drinks and dinner so I could finish your review.

I like your style girl! Hope you are feeling better real soon and you continue to cruise and write awesome reviews. Thanks for all the time you put into this.

E-Beth

You blew off a company party??!!! To read my review??!!!! :eek: :eek:

That's actually pretty cool. I am humbled. ;)

Thank you - I'm glad you enjoyed it. And I'm glad I've convinced you to go on the big ships!

Oh, Amy - this made me laugh out loud. Guess what Mom did the first day they moved in? Yup. Moved all of the existing furniture around. Sigh. She'll never quit. But you're right - now she'll leave MY house alone!

Aw, thanks, Cheryl! I appreciate that...I keep looking into how to publish, and then I get sidetracked - look, a squirrel!!! Yeah - like that. ;)

Sherri,

Self-publishing e-books is actually fairly simple. Of course you first have to create the e-book which can be challenging, but not really that difficult. I had to do the research on this for a project with my job. Unfortunately, we were specifically prevented from charging for our content so I couldn’t use any of the publishing options. That said, no sense letting the research go completely to waste. Nook and Kindle requires you to charge for you content, then they’ll pay you royalties of up to 70%. With Kindle, the minimum and maximum charge is generally based upon the size of the book and where sold (minimum from $0.99-$2.99, maximum either $9.99 or $200 depending on the royalty option). Nook allows you to charge as little as $0.99. Can’t remember the charges for the google book store but there is free content there. iBooks allows for free content or charged content. Unfortunately, my research ended there because I would have to create an iBooks publishing account to see pricing or charging information. That said, if you can get to Nook and Kindle you can get to almost everyone as other readers are actually tablets that use reader apps. The main reader apps for all is Kindle and Nook.

Creating the e-book requires some knowledge of software, and to do a good job HTML coding ability. There are many programs that will help with this. Also, if you are gameI wouldn’t mind converting this review to Nook and Kindle content, but it could only be as time permits L. (Probably take a couple of weeks to get it done right).

Here are the links to the Nook, Kindle and iBooks (iBooks uses the same format at Nook unless you do an interactive bood) publishing:

http://pubit.barnesandnoble.com/pubit_app/bn?t=pi_reg_home

https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/signin

https://itunesconnect.apple.com/WebObjects/iTunesConnect.woa/wa/bookSignup

Good luck,

Myron

Kanscocoa - Going on West.Med Cruise the end of month and a fellow roll caller advised of your review. What fun it was to read in anticipation of our trip. Enjoyed it so much, that spent way too much time scrolling and laughing through your other reviews. Coincidentally, have also been on the Allure and Freedom and your comments are all spot-on! Love, love, loved Freedoms' director, Graham. Should have seen this middle-aged lady doing the Mick Jagger chicken walk during the British invasion on the Promenade. We were lucky to make a great choice of a balcony room overlooking Central Park on the Allure. It was lovely. The ship is big, but somehow, it works.

Also went on Rhapsody to Alaska last year. You'll have a great time! Highly recommend the helicopter to Mendenhall. Will continue to look for your blogs.

Take care!