Desperate-advice needed-Freeport snorkeling

TikkiTembo

I know I’m trespassing into this forum but I originally posted this in the Ports of Call section but have had no takers so I’ll give it a go here. We (me, DH, DD-15, DD-11) want to go snorkeling while in Freeport but can’t decide between Pat & Diane’s and Deadman’s Reef. We will only be in port from 7:00am to 1:30pm. I read great reviews about both vendors so I’m torn. I’m leaning towards Deadman’s since this is our only lazy beach day and time is limited. But it appears that the downside is that we have to swim out farther to see nicer sights. However, I don’t know if I want all my time limited to a boat with Pat & Diane’s. By the way, we’ve snorkeled before but have only done so from a boat. Never snorkeled directly from the beach so it seems like it might involve quite a bit of energy to get to the deeper waters but I could be wrong. Any recommendations/advice is greatly appreciated?

Well, we were in Freeport in December and we did the Peterson Cay Kayak and Snorkeling Tour, which was AWESOME! They picked us up from the ship, where we got on a large bus, which took us to a smaller van. Marlin was our tour guide and he was awesome. He took us to the beach and unloaded the kayaks and we kayaked about a 1/2 mile to a desserted island where we had some cookies and lemonade and then we headed out to snorkel. It was small group--about 10 of us and some had snorkeled and some hadn't. You woudl definitely need some water shoes because the beach is very rocky. We snorkeled for about an hour and it was very easy and we didn't have to swim far at all to see some great coral, fish, and even a nurse shark!! Once we were finished, we had a picnic on the beach, which consisted of sandwiches and chips. Then Marlin took us straight back to the ship. It was a really great time and the best thing we did on the cruise. Highly recommend!

I would do Deadmans Reef. It really doesn't take all that much energy to go out and there are things to see on the way out.. I've been to Paradise Cove twice and loved it. It takes more energy to fight the tide when you are outside a reef.

Thanks all. I spoke to Barry at Deadman's Reef earlier today and he was quite helpful. He answered all of my questions (and I had plenty) and the price was reasonable. I really think I'm going to book with them but I am going to look into Peterson's as well.

Archived