Viking river cruise jewels of china sept 2013

San Francisco Fiesta

We cruised on Viking River to China in 2005 and it was a great trip. Since then, we've cruised on Viking River three additional times (Russia, Danube and Paris to Normandy) and have lays been treated well by the cruise staff. On all of our cruises with Viking River we have been lucky to have been accompanied by some wonderful travelers, and being smaller "ships" you end up getting to know almost everyone. Most are well travelled and educated with a lot to share if interested. Regarding South America we cruised from Rio to Valparaiso a year ago December on Princess (our larger cruise line choice). We spent 3 days in Rio prior to the cruise around Cape Horn and it was an awesome trip. Regarding Antarctica, it is on our list but haven't been there yet. If we did, we'd probably choose Linblad who, although maybe higher priced, provides an excellent product which we experienced to the Galapagos and also on their Costa Rica through the Panama Canal expedition.

Is Viking river cruising gay friendly? Anyone been on jewels of china cruise? Any recommendations for gay cruising china and/or South America/Antarctica?

Thanks!

1 and 2. My partner and I took Viking's Imperial Jewels of China trip in May 2011 and it was phenomenal. Truly one of the best trips we've ever taken. Viking has put a ton of effort into making its China trips extraordinary, and it shows. (BTW, both Olivia and Pied Piper have used Viking in China, Olivia as a full charter [which is the way Olivia does all their travel] and PP by booking a PP group onto the tour.)

3. My partner and I just returned (literally, last week) from an expedition to Antarctica aboard the National Geographic Explorer with Lindblad Expeditions. To say this was a trip of lifetime would be a cliche, but it was the most amazing thing we've ever done. If you can swing it, I recommend it highly. I don't know what you mean by "gay cruising Antarctica," but the penguins, whales and seals don't care about your sexual orientation. :)

I'll add that Pied Piper books groups onto Celebrity's "drive by" Antarctica cruises. Again, though, if you can manage a true expedition that allows you to land on the Continent, there's no comparison.

Happy to answer any questions about either of these trips. In terms of these extraordinary destinations, I wouldn't worry about a trip being "gay crusing" but rather I'd be interested in the itinerary and the reputation of the company handling the trip.

Speaking of penguins:

Adeliemarch1024x678_zps8ba4e0ef.jpg

(photo by turtles06)

Archived