Private tour ideas w/ kids to really see the country

KatieCharlotte

Considering a Carnival cruise in the next couple years, possibly one that would go to either MB or OR because we've never been. But my husband is unsure there's anything he'd like to do or see in Jamaica. We love taking affordable private tours that actually give us a glimpse of another country. I would rather visit a school or see some history than shop in a tourist trap.

We're interested in family-friendly adventure, but we have a child who is terrified of deep water snorkeling and heights. I also read on the Carnival site that our five-year-old would not be allowed to climb the falls.

I know very little about the area. From my limited reading, I'm interested in the green grotto caves, maybe in combination with other stops. I also read here about the Heartbeat of Jamaica tour, but when I looked it up I found it was through another cruiseline. Is there a reliable private tour company with something similar? Any other ideas?

With a young child I would pass on Dunn's River and opt for Coyaba River Garden and Museum in the same area. It's a botanical garden with a fun manageable waterfall, along with a person tour guide. Green Groto is in Discovery Bay, so both could be easily done while in port. To get a true feel of the place, outside the tourist trap, arrange for a town in Brown's Town on market day. Ocho Rios is in the garden parish of St. Ann, so you will be surrounded by the beauty the island is known for, from the deck of the ship to the road side.

Hope this helps!

We have a 7 and a 5 year old. Booked a private tour with Courtney and it was probably the best tour we have ever had (I have ventured to about 11 caribbean islands and own a condo at sapphire beach on st thomas). Courtney and Dean took us to the blue hole where our girls and a great time climbing up the falls (with assistance of the local guides). Courtney then took us to the white river tubing and what a way to relax and take in the scenery. We then ventured off to a nearby beach for another hour. Too bad our ship docked in Montego Bay so it took us about 1.5 hour to get there and another 1.5 hour to get back. Courtney and Dean gave us a tremendous experience in Jamaica and we cannot wait to go back to see more hidden gems.

Archived