Main Not Late Seating

We just found out our group of 17 has MAIN seating not LATE as we requested. Our TA (who we believe messed up) said she would put us on a wait list for late seating. Has anyone ever heard of a wait list? We don't care if all 17 sit together just close by at 3 tables. What should we do??

17 people is a lot to fit into late seating if you currently have main. If all else fails you can try speaking to the maitre d but I have my doubts he can help.

The documents you got when you made an initial payment should state main or late seating. Did you check them to make sure she tried?

You have nothing to lose at this point in calling RCCL. I would ask them if your original reservation was to be for main like you requested. Maybe my the time you booked there was not enough room to accomodate that many passengers close to each other.

Is the TA willing to back you up?

If not, I think you should at least me compensated in some way from your TA not RCCL.

This has happened to us, too. Except for us it was the opposite -- our family of 4 (inlcuding a child age 5) had requested main seating and our TA verbally confirmed it at the time of booking. When our tickets arrived we were assigned to late seating. Neither our TA or RCCL were able to make any changes ahead of time. We were told to see the maitre'd upon boarding. When we met with him he said we would be called the next day to be told if any changes could be made (i.e., the first night we had to take our assigned table at late seating...). The next day we received a call that no tables were available for us at main seating. Considering we were only 4 people and you are 17 it is very unlikely that you will be accommodated. (By the way, this was on the Mariner)

On the positive side, there are some nice things about main seating. For example, all of your shows will be after dinner (late seating dinner's shows are typically before dinner except on formal nights). Also, with main seating at least there is some possibility you'll actually be hungry at the midnight buffets!!

It could still clear. There is still space available on this sailing. Sometimes Royal Caribbean waitlists on dining to push passengers to the other dining and then I've seen them turn around the next day and waitlist the other. However I would check everyday because if it does open it may fill up with passengers booking that day. I don't think waitlist are done until night. I had some passengers who had to have early dining and when they booked back in December for June the dining was closed. They went ahead and waitlisted it but I checked EVERY day and it finally paid off but I called right away and cleared it.

I hate when this happens. If it was so important to me and they couldn't change I would go see the Maitre D with some Andy Jacksons and see if that would help...or maybe a Sam Grant. I know them personally....

We cruised on the Enchantment last August with 3 other couples. We all booked with the same agent and she assured us that we would all be seated at a table together for the late seating.

Well, wouldn't you know it. The first night DH and I were assigned a very nice table by the window and the rest of our party was upstairs in a corner. According to RC, the confusion was brought on by the fact that we were C&A members and everyone else were first timers.

Anyway, we had to wait in a long line of "my table's wrong - fix it" before it was taken care of. Everyone in line seemed pretty PO'd and it was evident the staff was very stressed. But again, everything was taken care of that night and we had a fabulous time the rest of the cruise.

Oh, and one more observation about late seating....We always book the late seating. The main reason is that a lot of the shore excursions end around 5:00pm or so and we hate to be rushed to get ready for dinner. It's much nicer to get back to the ship after a day of exploring and just relax by the pool or slowly shower and get ready - then enjoy a couple of glasses of bubbly in the Champagne Bar before dinner!

We eat late even when we are at home. It will be weird having dinner early, especially on vacation. Oh well, we will make the best of whatever situation we end up with! Thanks for all the ideas & encouragement!

Flaglady: How far in advance of sailing did you book your cruise.

My guess is that there was no place for a group of 17 for late seating so they put you in early seating. I don't think your TA did anything wrong.

RCCL probably felt you would be happier sitting together in early seating then separated in late seating.

If you were on a 10 day cruise, I would think you could easily find room since alot of people don't show up in the dining room after a couple nights. However, if you are taking the 5 night cruise to Bermuda, then you don't have alot of time to change things. You can always eat in the windjammer together if you definetely want to eat later. I think alot of times tables are assigned ahead and then when people don't show up after a night or two, the tables are reassigned. Goopd Luck.

Late seating dinner has become extremely popular, especially if the itinerary includes ports of call where you depart later in the evening. I know that on my last cruise, the Maitre D' had sign noting that second seating was full. My wife and I will be sailing Navigator in 3 weeks and during our last minute booking, late seating dinner was noted as being unavailable. I would certainly not give up, but your need to 17 people into this seating may be your biggest challenge. GOOD LUCK and enjoy your cruise regardless. My wife and I have always preferred main seating as it seems like we miss too many of the evening activities by electing late seating.

Archived