Feelings on booking another Carnival cruise.

saturnsc

Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?  

915 members have voted

1. 1. Are you beginning to feel hesitant to book another Carnival Cruise?

• Yes
    • No

I'm always amazed by the number of people who will "never cruise Carnival again" and have only negative things to say about Carnival -- but also have nothing better to do than sit around and read a Carnival forum berating others. Get a life, people! :rolleyes:

What's also amazing is that some people on this thread who say they'd "never cruise Carnival again" have never cruised Carnival in the first place when you look at the cruises they've listed in their signatures. One person on this thread took like 10 cruises on different lines then says Carnival had 2 incidents recently so I'll never cruise with them.

Chances are those people weren't going to ever cruise Carnival no matter what happened or did not happen or what will happen in the future.

Released today:

MIAMI, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) estimates that the total impact from voyage disruptions and related repair costs will result in an $0.08 to $0.10 earnings per share reduction in the company’s 2013 first half.

Stock is down almost 3% today.

Released today:

MIAMI, Feb. 13, 2013 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ — Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) estimates that the total impact from voyage disruptions and related repair costs will result in an $0.08 to $0.10 earnings per share reduction in the company’s 2013 first half.

Well, there you go, that doesn't count as "minimal". Answering this question personally, I wouldn't sail on a Carnival ship ever. Now I'm a big RC fan, so once those cutbacks trickle down, I'll probably choose another line.

They will take a big financial hit just refunding everything, future cruise credits, repair of the ship, etc. There will be a number of first time people who will second guess going or decide right off the bat not to go. But believe me they will still fill their ships - they may have to retire the Triumph as people will steer clear of it for a while or may never sail it again. We are doing an AI in March not because we don't want to cruise but the airfare ($1000 each) is a killer. We are doing 4 star AI for less than just our airfare so this won over

A number of experienced cruisers are taking it in stride as are a number of new cruisers. Is it pleasant? No, but they are being generously compensated for a cruise that was almost over, anyway.

The FCCs will get a number on the fence to cruise again and if they don't? There is no cost.

You are correct - the ships will continue to sail full.

Released today:

I hope it drops a lot more, as I'd like to pick up 100 shares.

Released today:

Well there you go. Minimal impact.

RCI stock is off over 2%

Seeing as people predominately book Carnival based on its price being the lowest (it isn't 100% of the time, but usually is), I don't see there being any material impact on Carnival's business.

I agree. Their ships will still be full because they are usually the cheapest. This incident hasn't deterred me from booking with them again.

What's also amazing is that some people on this thread who say they'd "never cruise Carnival again" have never cruised Carnival in the first place when you look at the cruises they've listed in their signatures. One person on this thread took like 10 cruises on different lines then says Carnival had 2 incidents recently so I'll never cruise with them.

Chances are those people weren't going to ever cruise Carnival no matter what happened or did not happen or what will happen in the future.

See http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/13/us/passengers-face-2-more-days-of-foul-conditions-on-stranded-ship.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=edit_ae_20130212 for latest news. I hope that Carnival cruisers have pocket flashlights.

Tom

"I remember when NCL had a boiler explosion that killed people. No injuries or deaths on Triumph"

So is Carnival going to pull the TRIUMPH (or lack thereof) out of service and scrap it?

I doubt the insurance companies would pay for a repairable ship to be scrapped. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on Triumph again.

Carnival shareholders, including those who have bought for the OBC, have lost tens of thousands of dollars today and will lose even more in future weeks.

To those who call this "minimal," are you willing to make up the losses of the retired folks who placed their trust and money with Carnival?

Once Triumph gets finished with repairs, it will be the best conditioned boat in the Carnival fleet. So it's pointless to say "I would never cruise on Triumph again." The one you don't want to cruise is the one that hasn't been repaired recently...

Carnival has had a bunch of bad news recently - a dead-in-the-water boat in 2010, another one now, as well as the Italian sinking. Is it just coincidence? Or is it because they're the cheapest, they skimp on maintenance and crew training?

Wife and I are saying maybe we should cruise less often, on more-expensive cruise lines... I'm sure we're not the only people with those thoughts.

I've only been on 1 Carnival cruise and I'm looking forward to booking another one. Mechanical issues and or fires can happen on any cruise ship. People don't stop flying on airplanes after a mechanical problem, they find another flight and move on.

Anything mechanical and with moving parts will break eventually and sometimes will cause a fire. Granted Carnival should step up the maintenance program fleetwide.

By saying Carnival should step up it's maintenance program, it seems to me you're admitting that the impression exists that Carnival's maintenance program is lacking. I'm not disagreeing with that impression because I sense it, too. That's what is making me have second thoughts about crusing in May 2013 on Carnival Dream.

A number of experienced cruisers are taking it in stride as are a number of new cruisers. Is it pleasant? No, but they are being generously compensated for a cruise that was almost over, anyway.

The FCCs will get a number on the fence to cruise again and if they don't? There is no cost.

You are correct - the ships will continue to sail full.

Again, under what delusion are you operating when you state that the compensation is generous? Maybe experienced Carnival cruisers take this in stride or as SOP (because it happens so often), but there on young children on there that are terrified.

Once Triumph gets finished with repairs, it will be the best conditioned boat in the Carnival fleet. So it's pointless to say "I would never cruise on Triumph again." The one you don't want to cruise is the one that hasn't been repaired recently...

Carnival has had a bunch of bad news recently - a dead-in-the-water boat in 2010, another one now, as well as the Italian sinking. Is it just coincidence? Or is it because they're the cheapest, they skimp on maintenance and crew training?

Wife and I are saying maybe we should cruise less often, on more-expensive cruise lines... I'm sure we're not the only people with those thoughts.

You are not the only people with those thoughts.

I don't understand why you are even on this Thread. Looking at your signature I see you are scheduled on Several Princess cruises. I wonder if you have sailed Carnival before. If not what do you care? I sure don't care if you do or not.

I would NEVER, EVER sail on Carnival - I just can't believe the people on these Carnival boards are so brain washed and nonchalant about this incident and the previous, well documented, similar situations on other Carnival ships!!!:eek:

And yes, I do have over 30 cruises on Princess and much less on other lines.

"Carnival has a notably worse safety record than any other cruise companie."

This quote is directly from

CARNIVAL CORPORATION STRATEGY REPORT

http://economics-files.pomona.edu/jl...s/Carnival.pdf

Link doesn't work

Fixed link:

http://economics-files.pomona.edu/jlikens/SeniorSeminars/Likens2012/reports/Carnival.pdf

. i would love to know more about what happened on the ship...

Unfortunately, you will probably never know!

Yes, there will be investigations, but Carnival has multi millions of dollars to promote its version of the "accident."

Many thanks for this very interesting read. I was aware that Carnival owned other cruise companies--but not 10--including Princess and Seabourn. According to this, it is planning to acquire Star cruise line.

Although not a Carnival cruiser, I read this thread hoping to find helpful info, and I have, thanks to you.

BTW, DW and I always carry pocket flashlights on our trips. I dread to think of having to find my way in a dark ship--as people must do on the Triumph.

Tom

BTW, DW and I always carry pocket flashlights on our trips. I dread to think of having to find my way in a dark ship--as people must do on the Triumph.

Tom

You might also want to bring a Port-a-Potty if you are sailing on Carnival!

You are not the only people with those thoughts.

This. I loved my Carnival cruise but my potential cruise-mates have said it best-- we could spend just a little more and get a whole lot more, and potentially less worry.

But I don't know. We'll see. I want to see the outcome of the investigation into this first, and see if it was preventable and if Carnival didn't exercise their due diligence in maintaining their ship. That will be the determining factor for me.

That, and the fact that from what I'm reading, their quality has taken a nose-dive since I went on the Conquest in March.

Archived