Poolenalena Beach

Sailfish

I'll be going to Maui via the Celebrity Century - there till 8pm. Has anyone been to this beach? I hear it's very nice with great snorkeling. If so, is it close enough to the Lahaina cruise pier?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Suzi

It's 30 to 50 minutes from Lahaina to Makena depending on traffic and road construction. I agree that staying north is a good idea. Some good options: Black Rock on Ka'anapali, Kahekili (aka Airport) beach just north of Ka'anapali, Napili, Kapalua (a favorite for us), Slaughterhouse (nice beach; not the best name), and even up to Honolua specifically for snorkeling (not a "beach" beach and requires a bit of easy hiking down to it). There are also several beaches/spots between Lahaina and Ma'alaea that are good for snorkeling.

beachchick

Having lived in Kihei to drive between Lahaina & Makena takes an hour without any delays. Poolenalena is a nice undeveloped beach but found the snorkeling at Ulua in Wailea better & it has paved parking, bathrooms & showers.

As others have suggested, it may be better for you to go to those West Maui spots instead of driving to the southern end of South Maui. The great "Maui Revealed" guidebook has a lot of very helpful information to help you decide what you'd like to do.

From the back of the Wharf Cinema Center located across the street from the large banyan tree which is adjacent to the tender care is an option to get around without a rental car. There are many discussions about this subject that you can locate to get additional information including the option of taking a cab to Black Rock which as I recall cost about $12 if you don't want to use the $1 shuttle bus or if it's too full.

Archived