Round trip NY to UK in 2014 or 2015

FireStation46

The only thing about a 'Back to Back' is that you have no time in England except a partial day.

Instead we are crossing over and disembarking in Southampton while the ship continues on a Scandinavian itinerary. We will spend that time in the UK and re-board the ship when it stops back by Southampton prior to the westbound crossing. That gives us 9 days to enjoy our time there.

Hope you have fun.

The only thing about a 'Back to Back' is that you have no time in England except a partial day.

Instead we are crossing over and disembarking in Southampton while the ship continues on a Scandinavian itinerary. We will spend that time in the UK and re-board the ship when it stops back by Southampton prior to the westbound crossing. That gives us 9 days to enjoy our time there.

Hope you have fun.

Thanks. We will just have to ask my wife's family to meet us in Southampton for the short visit. After too many miles in a plane I want to avoid having that as part of my plans. Plus, what better way to visit the in-laws but for a brief time, LOL :eek:

:rolleyes:

If 2014 is like 2013, there will be NO Round trips (B2B) New York/Southampton/New York.

In 2013 there were round trips from Southampton /New York/Southampton. To me it did not make sense, to use the QM2 for cruises round Britain or Norway etc, the QM2 was built for the Atlantic crossing.

We are constantly being told QM2 is a LINER, and yet in 2013 Cunard used it as a "cruise ship".

If 2014 is like 2013, there will be NO Round trips (B2B) New York/Southampton/New York.

In 2013 there were round trips from Southampton /New York/Southampton. To me it did not make sense, to use the QM2 for cruises round Britain or Norway etc, the QM2 was built for the Atlantic crossing.

We are constantly being told QM2 is a LINER, and yet in 2013 Cunard used it as a "cruise ship".

Thanks. That is a shame. I have flow so much domestic and internationally over the decades that I have come to hate flying.

I noticed you are taking a Royal Caribbean trip soon. I just saw where they are offering free drink packages on their crossings. I'm not sure the details but it is worth checking out.

I noticed you are taking a Royal Caribbean trip soon. I just saw where they are offering free drink packages on their crossings. I'm not sure the details but it is worth checking out.

That is interesting, do you have a link to that news?

I am thinking of a summer Cunard trip US/Canada in 2014. That will give me the option of a train journey back home or a relatively short flight. I suppose after 1M+ flight miles, I am just trying to avoid planes for personal travel.

Yes!! I agree . Cunard is not doing the roundtrip transatlantic trips as a ocean liner , as was the QE2. When the QM2 began sailing in 2005, it did more

back to back from New york to Southampton. Unfortunately Cunard change that direction and made the QM2 a cruise ship

In 2013 there are 2 TAs that only would involve a 5 day stay in England as QM2 does five day short cruises before returning to NY. One starting July 6, the other July 27. Don't know about 2014 or 2015.

I am one of those passengers who prefer "sea days" , the B2B East/West TA with just a turn around in Southampton was ideal.

In 2013 Cunard did several B2B Southampton/Southampton, but not one single New York/NewYork.

I certainly would not wish to do a 5 day cruise in the middle of TA's, I did that once, and have to say that the passengers who came on board for the 5 days behaved badly . For them it was a cheap opportunity to "booze it up" , with "no coppers in sight".

I am one of those passengers who prefer "sea days" , the B2B East/West TA with just a turn around in Southampton was ideal.

In 2013 Cunard did several B2B Southampton/Southampton, but not one single New York/NewYork.

I certainly would not wish to do a 5 day cruise in the middle of TA's, I did that once, and have to say that the passengers who came on board for the 5 days behaved badly . For them it was a cheap opportunity to "booze it up" , with "no coppers in sight".

Hi Mrs. Jimsgirl. Have you taken the 5 day July voyage r/t NY? A transaltantic crossing before and after this Canada cruise has been the norm for years. I've taken the r/t NY cruise at least three times in the past, and I can state that the fare was not 'cheap', nor was it a booze cruise. In fact, the majority of passengers were extremely mellow, as this particular cruise is very popular with those passengers with medical conditions that do not permit longer voyages that sail too far from shore. This particular itinerary is my only experience with a 5 day cruise on QM2, but from my experience, it is definitely not a booze cruise. Quite the opposite. Regards, -S.

I took the trip New York to Southampton, a 5 day across the channel to a couple of French/German ports, Southampton to New York.

The atmosphere on board for the TA's was as one usually expects on Cunard, but the cruise across the Channel was 100% the opposite. In the Chart room, one group statred to sing rowdy songs, and the pianist simply closed the piano and left , after only 10 mins of playing, he was so angry. Children in the hot tubs -in diapers!. In swimming pool, adults and children leaping in, splashing everywhere.

Totally agree...its slower crossings and far fewer TA sailing dates with longer cruises in Europe .

I took the trip New York to Southampton, a 5 day across the channel to a couple of French/German ports, Southampton to New York.

The atmosphere on board for the TA's was as one usually expects on Cunard, but the cruise across the Channel was 100% the opposite. In the Chart room, one group statred to sing rowdy songs, and the pianist simply closed the piano and left , after only 10 mins of playing, he was so angry. Children in the hot tubs -in diapers!. In swimming pool, adults and children leaping in, splashing everywhere.

Jimsgirl, I also wish that Cunard would do at least one NY-Southampton-NY back2back crossing.They did one last year but none for this year.Hopefully there will be one for 2014.As for seeing children in the hot tubs wearing diapers that is disgusting.In 2002 or 2003 aboard QE2 I did see a man pull down his pants and jump into the QE2's pool located at the stern wearing just his brief underwear.That too is disgusting and low class :eek: Regards,Jerry

One could get off for the intervening 5-day short cruise and rejoin in time for the return crossing. I'd prefer 7-9 days between crossings; never could see the point of a completely back-to-back crossing without at least a little time on the other side (but this probably isn't the thread for that).

One could get off for the intervening 5-day short cruise and rejoin in time for the return crossing. I'd prefer 7-9 days between crossings; never could see the point of a completely back-to-back crossing without at least a little time on the other side (but this probably isn't the thread for that).

I am waiting for CeCe at Cunard to ring me back. We could stay in London the few days and get the TA back.

That is a solution if you wish to spend time in UK, but not every passenger wishes to "get off" , "go to a hotel" , "be a tourist".

Having to pack, get off deal with customs etc, transport to hotel, check in there, not to mention checking in to get back on board on 5 days later, unpack, deal with new dining arrangments, etc etc.

I realise that many passengers do take a cruise in order to sightsee at ports, some even wish for a different port each day, but for myself I cruise for the pleasure of the ship itself, unpacking just once, not having to worry where to go, where to eat, meeting strangers who become friends for the time on board.

Perhaps I ws unfortunate in that the 5 day short cruise in the middle of my B2B TA coincided with a national holiday, that although booking almost a year ahead I had to pay 200% of the pp rate, for those 5 days , passengers coming on board at Southampton paid just over half my cost for the same type of cabin.

There were a number of "groups" on board, , they came because it was "cheap and easy'. they were not "cruisers'.

I went on an 'Independence Sampler' and that is where I discovered that I prefer crossing to cruising. Totally different demo of people. By the last day, I was fully expecting the daily drink special to be a 'Bucket o Beer'. There were many, many complaints.

I'm looking forward to my time between crossings. It is 9 days but I will enjoy an extended time touring my favorite place in the world, Scotland.

Archived