Glue like substance on car's in Cape Liberty 5/29 - 6/03

Mac

Has anyone who sailed with us on the Voyager to Bumuda out of Bayone and parked there car return to find glue like substance all over there car's that can't be removed? At first we thought it might be some kind of dust but found out it wasent when it won't wash or rub out. We are trying to contact the port but so far it is very difficult to contact them. Any information on this subject would be much appreciated.

Has anyone who sailed with us on the Voyager to Bumuda out of Bayone and parked there car return to find glue like substance all over there car's that can't be removed? At first we thought it might be some kind of dust but found out it wasent when it won't wash or rub out. We are trying to contact the port but so far it is very difficult to contact them. Any information on this subject would be much appreciated.

YES! And it is quite annoying! Did not come out with a car wash and was advised to try rubbing alcohol. Will let you know how we make out. Please let us know if you hear from anyone at the port! Good luck!

Ron & Debbie :eek:

depending on which way the wind is blowing you are fairly close to a couple of oil refineries...You know the joke why does New Jersey have all the toxic waste dumps and NY has all the lawyers...NJ had first choice. Also Bayonne is near the Staten Island dump-closed but the largest in the world I believe.

We had to take our vehicle to the body shop to have it removed, we tried everything, but it would not budge. Our truck was parked on the end of a row, the whole truck and cap had it all over. We were driving home in the rain and it smeared all over the windshield, we couldn't see a thing on the road, that has to be a hazard. When we got home and realized it was all over the truck, we tried to wash it off to no avail, finally Jerry just took it to a body shop to see if it can be removed, so far its still there. They don't know what it is or even if they can remove it, I'll let you know, in the mean time, I'll look for our parking receipt to see if there is any info on it.

Hello Jerudy

We have our parking receipt and there is no information other than the e-mail we have tryed looking up on there web site and show's no phone numbers or any other information that will help us, hubby is going to call a few other places pluse firestation will let you know how we make out. Boy are we mad.

I know what your all talking about here. Hubby and I parked there last year and got in the truck and tried to clean the windows with the wipers and it sounded like sand all over the windshield. It does come off BUT it takes a while. Hubby kept washing and polishing and it finally came off after about 7 months :eek: Good Luck to all of you that experienced the same problem. This time around we are getting a ride to the pier instead ;) Happy Sailing Everyone!!!!

~~Debbie~~

yeah.... That area is ripe with Petroleum refineries...

Although that REALLY sucks that it happened.... it doesn't surprise me.

The past couple weeks have been rather rainy... and hypothetically, your car probly fell victim to "acid" aka gluey rain...

The past couple weeks have been rather rainy... and hypothetically, your car probly fell victim to "acid" aka gluey rain...

Good point--has anyone encountered this situation when it hasn't rained?

Well, I would look into my insurance for coverage--then have them charge back the refineries insurance. There is surely some kind of coverage somewhere. It is not like you were at a "park at your own risk" place. :)

It would seem that the problem was not endemic to the entire lot as my car was fine. I was parked near the far eastern end of the lot, i.e. the farthest area from the terminal building (maybe I was lucky to have arrived at 3:00 as opposed to earlier). I wonder if only a specific area of the lot was affected.

I would agree with medolee's post that if there is any expense involved in removing the "substance" that it should be brought to your insurance carrier's attention.

I hope this is not a persistent problem, since I'll be parking there again next month.

I work at a car dealership and clean cars professionally on the side. I would try going to a local parts store and buying a clay bar. The clay bar is a sticky like clay material that is good for removing substances from paint. If the clay bar does not work it would proabily have to be wet sanded.

I wouldn't touch it until contacting my insurance company.

I know the clay bars Hotrod3 is talking about...McQuiars sells it, amoung other auto wax manufacturers. Won't hurt the paint (supposedly, unless you rub really hard. Never hurt my car's paint) but I would make sure I documented this with the Insurance company BEFORE trying to remove it. They'll find out who to contact at that lot.

LarryF

Well, I called my insurance company today and was advised that this is under my $500 deductible thing - ugh!!!! So, they gave me the name of a body shop for them to look at it for advice, and so I went. The body shop says that they believe it is paint! They said it looks like back spray from paint. They had asked if we were in an area where they may have been painting a bridge or something very large. (hmmmm?? Anyone know?). So their advice was for me to go to a detailer to get it buffed out. So, off I go. I'll keep you all posted on how that works for me! Anyone else???

Debbie

Mt. Garbuggi is too far way... I live pretty close to the dump... and honestly, I don't even smell it... It's been closed for a while now... only reopened briefly for the WTC wreckage.

The parking lot is closer to all the refineries that line the Fresh Kills....

Three cars in our group were between lanes 4 and 5, we arrived about 12:30, and had nothing on the cars. Didn't hear that complaint from any of the rest of the 60 of our group. I wonder if it was just cars at the end, near the river? Does make me think twice about ever parking there again, though.

Archived