Advice please good peeps

JSY, glad you enjoyed Petra, it's great isn't it.

Was it cold? when we did it in Feb last year they had a snow plough in front of us and it was freezing at Petra.

We would do this cruise just for the weather, would rather be on ship and never get off than in an AI in Sharm for the same money.

Last year we met a few that do this every year......

Well the private taxi to Petra turned out perfectly. Driver spoke excellent English. Very safe driver, the roads are good. The only oversight was that we didn't realise Jordanian time was an hour different until we got the cruise daily newsletter. We decided not to change the time but to go an hour earlier than planned. So glad we did, there is so much to see. We managed to climb up to the high place (sacrificial point) as well as the monastery without resorting to donkeys or horses. You might like to take an apple or two for those poor donkeys, especially the ones that are used for building works. Long day but we knew our driver was waiting for us for as long as we chose to be. Price pre-arranged so no problems there either. A perfect day.

Sounds good. Which taxi company did you use? We are not doing Red Sea Magic this time but hope to in the future and my husband doesn't travel well in coaches but is ok in taxis and Petra is a place I really want to see. Thanks Maggie

Well the private taxi to Petra turned out perfectly. Driver spoke excellent English. Very safe driver, the roads are good. The only oversight was that we didn't realise Jordanian time was an hour different until we got the cruise daily newsletter. We decided not to change the time but to go an hour earlier than planned. So glad we did, there is so much to see. We managed to climb up to the high place (sacrificial point) as well as the monastery without resorting to donkeys or horses. You might like to take an apple or two for those poor donkeys, especially the ones that are used for building works. Long day but we knew our driver was waiting for us for as long as we chose to be. Price pre-arranged so no problems there either. A perfect day.

Glad you had a good day in Petra. Eating humble pie here :o

It is a fabulous place isn't it? Have you been to Ephesus? That is even better IMHO :)

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Petra. I didn't doubt that your private taxi would turn out fine and you would have a good experience. I spent a week in Jordan a few years ago. Stayed in Amman for four days and traveled all the way from the Syrian border down to Aqaba. Stayed two nights in Petra on the way. Jordan is a small country but has so many wonderful sights. Jerash is really amazing. Then there is Mount Nebo, with the lovely views across to Bethlehem. A day in Wadi Rum is not to be missed and of course a dip in the Dead Sea is a must. Everyone I met was so friendly and welcoming. One of my best holidays ever.

Maggie - we used Jordan Beauty Tours for this, just as a taxi service. English speaking tours are included as part of your entrance ticket, at set times, should you want one. I also recommend Ramses Tours for Cairo.

Unfortunately couldn't do Dead Sea as well on this itinerary. Would have loved to!

Joe - weather was perfect. Sunny and warm but a bit hazy so views from highest point weren't as good as they might have been.

Linda - yes, have been to Ephesus too, although the dramatic landscape and scale of Petra make it more impressive in my eyes.

Thanks JSY.

A friend of mine is on this cruise in 4 weeks.

I am right in thinking that the whole trip cost around £150 for 2?

If so I will show him this thread and let him decide if he wants to do it this way instead of the Thomsons shorex.

Ta

Joe.

Hi Joe,

Yes, those costings are correct. I thoroughly recommend doing it this way to maximize your time in the way you want.

2 things to note - Jordanian time difference, and taxis not allowed into port area. If you have pre-booked a taxi, port officials will arrange lift to port gate to meet up.

Maggie - we used Jordan Beauty Tours for this, just as a taxi service. English speaking tours are included as part of your entrance ticket, at set times, should you want one. I also recommend Ramses Tours for Cairo.

Unfortunately couldn't do Dead Sea as well on this itinerary. Would have loved to!

Thank you:)

Maggie

Archived