Voice Recorder on Bridge?

sail7seas

Is this true?

CNN just reported all cruise ships have a voice recorder on the Bridge and all conversations are recorded.

Did they get that right or is that another news reporting inaccuracy?

Anyone know?

Is this true?

CNN just reported all cruise ships have a voice recorder on the Bridge and all conversations are recorded.

Anyone know?

They have Voyage Data Recorders which record voice as well as data such as speed, course, machinery status and even radar information. Some, if not all, the data can be transferred to a device on the outside of the ship so it can be recovered if the ship sinks.

Is this true?

Anyone know?

Judy, I believe that there is such a device on the Bridge, similar to that in the cockpit of an airplane. :)

This has become industry standard, I believe. P&O/Princess was the first to do it (before Carnival takeover), so I'm sure it ran through the Carnival-owned fleet. I don't know, but would guess that the Engine Control Room is similarly equipped, as I would guess are the phone lines between the bridge and ECR. I do know the public address system is also recorded. In an incident, what directions to the crew and passengers and when they were given are also needed as part of any investigation.

This has become industry standard, I believe. P&O/Princess was the first to do it (before Carnival takeover), so I'm sure it ran through the Carnival-owned fleet. I don't know, but would guess that the Engine Control Room is similarly equipped, as I would guess are the phone lines between the bridge and ECR. I do know the public address system is also recorded. In an incident, what directions to the crew and passengers and when they were given are also needed as part of any investigation.

Good points.

Archived